Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why are white race "slurs" ok?

Because the poor 'ol white man doesn't have anybody like Jesse Jackson or AL Sharpton and white people gullible enough to believe what they say...
True self-worth is not devalued by mere words.

I am not really white (or pink), I don't really honk.
I earned my red-neck, am proud to be a Mick, don't
have rythym. I am fat, Conservative, even though
I am a Democrat, and Gringo just sounds cool.

Oh yeah, I am a Cracker too! I really like that one.
We earned that, proud of it, and I know where it
comes from too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
Newsflash: there are double standards everywhere. This particular one is due to our history. Despite popular belief, the actions of our history still have an effect on society now.

Of course, anyone with a modicum of intelligence wouldn't resort to name calling, anyway. Intelligence, tact, and manners aren't determined by race.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,446 times
Jews are white, last time I looked and they have always been the target of a lot of hatred, but more to do with their culture and religion.

Brits get called Limeys and Pommies, American Yanks and there are numerous other terms for each other, although they usually lack any real venom and don't have overtly racial overtones.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I had to laugh because many slurs against anglos like redneck, gring o, whitey and so on are only only Ok but are even the names of businesses like the Redneck Bank, Dos Gringos here in Arizona. Even honkytonk is Ok. But no one will use similar slurs like the N word, G word or the S word for Blacks, Asians or Hispanics in that same way. Tho "bean" many times means a coffee place.
Who says they are acceptable? Terms like ni**er, ch**k or sp*c, fa**ot along with re**eck, cr**ker or white trash are all used every day. But in each case, they are used by ignorant, uncaring people, and all are equally offensive. Some people are just mean, arrogant and offensive and don't care about how these terms hurt others.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM

409 posts, read 254,428 times
because diversity and multiculturalism is destroying our once great nation.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I agree with Toyman at Jewel Lake, however, there are certain groups of people that do fit each one of those slurs listed above and I dont feel that you are ignorant or uncaring at all by using them in those cases. In fact, those groups of people are the ones that have caused the stereotypes for the rest which in most cases not everyone fits. Stereotypes start from somewhere, and unfortulately its those people that have made it much harder for everyone else to break. Not here to disrespect anyone, just stating how I feel.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So...is anyone going to answer the OP's question?
Okay, I'll take a shot... maybe it's because most white people (of which I am one) don't actually find these terms offensive, and they don't hold the same historical weight as certain other slurs? I also don't think of terms like redneck as being white-specific, and most Spanish speakers I know use Gringo in a neutral manner - simply as a descriptive term, like if somebody described me as a redhead. At work I'm referred to as "La Gringa" almost as often as "La Pelirroja," and neither offend me in the slightest (nor are they intended to offend).

Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I agree with Toyman at Jewel Lake, however, there are certain groups of people that do fit each one of those slurs listed above and I dont feel that you are ignorant or uncaring at all by using them in those cases. In fact, those groups of people are the ones that have caused the stereotypes for the rest which in most cases not everyone fits. Stereotypes start from somewhere, and unfortulately its those people that have made it much harder for everyone else to break. Not here to disrespect anyone, just stating how I feel.
I heard a saying a few years back that kinda goes along with that... "Not all blacks are ni**ers, and not all ni**ers are black". Not offensive when used that way, right?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Im sure you will not like what I have to say Toyman, but yes, you are correct with saying "Not all blacks are ni**ers. There is a distinct difference in my opinion.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
Jews are white, last time I looked and they have always been the target of a lot of hatred, but more to do with their culture and religion.
Not always (see examples below), but I do agree with the rest of your comment.

http://shebapost.com/sites/default/f...opian-Jews.jpg
http://ziomania.com/african-jews/ethiopian%20jews60.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H_rBCkHkWF...ypto+Jews4.jpg
http://iamkoream.com/wp-content/uplo...211-Imapct.jpg

As a white Jewish woman myself, I have been deeply offended by some anti-Semitic slurs - while I have never experienced that feeling from an "anti-white" slur. I can't say why, but they just don't hold the same kind of weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies