Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, nobody is allowed to challenge your beliefs? I don't know about Christianity, but in Judaism we are taught to welcome such challenges... not to put our fingers in our ears and say "neener neener, I can't hear you!" Questioning is a good thing, and so is evolving with the times - at least that's what we're taught in the religion which spawned yours.

But again, trying to reason with a fundamental Christian is pointless, since you seem to have abandoned these teachings (questioning and welcoming non-believers to express their opinions).
If posters really understood the New Testament, they would see that their duty to evangelize means to dialogue with others who do not believe in Christ, not to hold themselves up in willful pride at the expense of others who they deem ignorant.

But Fundamentalists are to the modern day, what the Pharisees were to Jesus's time, so what can one do. Even the Pharisees made Jesus angry.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-30-2012 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, nobody is allowed to challenge your beliefs? I don't know about Christianity, but in Judaism we are taught to welcome such challenges... not to put our fingers in our ears and say "neener neener, I can't hear you!" Questioning is a good thing, and so is evolving with the times - at least that's what we're taught in the religion which spawned yours.

But again, trying to reason with a fundamental Christian is pointless, since you seem to have abandoned these teachings (questioning and welcoming non-believers to express their opinions).
The word Of God trumps anything man has to say. Why believe in God if one can't believe in what He has to say? God said it , I believe it.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So really it's just all in the eye of the beholder, name calling is being bullied and then it's not, yeah.
No, it's not in the eye of the beholder. Again, bullying is taking advantage of an imbalance in power to habitually use abusive, often physical, force to affect and coerce others. This incident has none of those characteristics.

Repeated, harassing, incessant name calling can be a form of abusive force employed in bullying. In this instance - it's not even remotely close.

You're a pansy Roaddog. Did I just "bully" you?

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-29-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy asses.â€

"The speaker was Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better†project, an anti-bullying campaign that has reached more than 40 million viewers with contributors ranging from President Obama to Hollywood stars. Savage also writes a sex advice column called “Savage Love.â€

"Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama’s 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference."

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Are we getting a clear picture of what this national Faux "Anti-Bullying" program is really all about?

Wonder when these high school students will be getting an apology from our president, who is so supportive of it?

BTW, if you think this is bad, you should see what is embedded in your children's innocent looking "literature" books in their public schools.
Liberal fascists on display!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Calling God gay is a sin.
The god described by you and other fundamentalist Christians (not to mention fundamentalist Muslims, etc), is judgemental, cruel, irrational, vengeful, petty, and hateful. I view rejecting the him and the message of hate people like you ascribe to him as a moral good. Were I a religious man, I think I'd choose a different one.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If posters really understood the New Testament, they would see that their duty to evangelize means to dialogue with others who do not believe in Christ, not to hold themselves up in willful pride at the expense of others who they deem ignorant.

But Fundamentalists are to the modern day, what the Pharisees were to Jesus's time, so what can one do. Even the Pharisees made Jesus angry.
Number one... you do not even know the meaning of the anger of Jesus toward the pharisees.. they were not followers of Christ. They did not get there righteousness though the word of God not through the teachings of Jesus. We Christians are a far cry from the pharisees you speak of.. you are sinning in ignorance.

Those who are born of the Holy Spirit are born of God and are not pharisees or hated by Jesus. They are God's children born of the spirit and remission of sin.
Look in your bible and see what Jesus has to say instead of downing Christians. Jesus died for the remission of sin.. yes there is sin.. if you don't believe it , look in the bible and find out there is , but there is also a savior to redeem them who are sinners.

Your kind of love will love everyone straight to hell and they will also be the prey of satan here and live in hell for that is what satan does.. kill, steal and destroy. Your love is not agape love and is self serving.

Jesus was hated by those who loved their sin more than God. Read your bible and find out who Jesus is and what your mission is here to save those who have an ear to hear. Jesus said to those who are lost in sin that he is there always to call on. Ask Jesus to show you his word of the meaning of his going to the cross and took on the sins of all to redeem them out of sin. Salvation is for all .

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-30-2012 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The god described by you and other fundamentalist Christians (not to mention fundamentalist Muslims, etc), is judgemental, cruel, irrational, vengeful, petty, and hateful. I view rejecting the him and the message of hate people like you ascribe to him as a moral good. Were I a religious man, I think I'd choose a different one.
no, God created everyone and of course satan comes to kill steal and destroy what God has said to his creation. Nothing new here.. it is called rebellion.

One wants to live without God's word or direction , that is called free will.God did give us a free will to choose. If you decide that God is cruel , hateful etc. you believe a lie.

As God gives direction it is his love for us that he gives to us.. his wisdom. If one rejects that , it is you who say he is cruel , hateful etc. That is your free will to choose what you believe. God is a loving God and always will be. Such as a good Father to his sons and daughters, for God knows all . His wisdom and love will always be there for us regardless how rebellious we are.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Number one... you do not even know the meaning of the anger of Jesus toward the pharisees.. they were not followers of Christ. They did not get there righteousness though the word of God not through the teachings of Jesus. We Christians are a far cry from the pharisees you speak of.. you are sinning in ignorance.

Those who are born of the Holy Spirit are born of God and are not pharisees or hated by Jesus. They are God's children born of the spirit and remission of sin.
Look in your bible and see what Jesus has to say instead of downing Christians. Jesus died for the remission of sin.. yes there is sin.. if you don't believe it , look in the bible and find out there is , but there is also a savior to redeem them who are sinners.

Your kind of love will love everyone straight to hell and they will also be the prey of satan here and live in hell for that is what satan does.. kill, steal and destroy. Your love is not agape love and is self serving.

Jesus was hated by those who loved their sin more than God. Read your bible and find out who Jesus is and what your mission is here to save those who have an ear to hear. Jesus said to those who are lost in sin that he is there always to call on. Ask Jesus to show you his word of the meaning of his going to the cross and took on the sins of all to redeem them out of sin. Salvation is for all .
Is this your attempt to evangelize? It needs some work. You also should really refresh yourself on the meaning of agape, because you fail over and over again to demonstrate it when speaking of others whom you are so clearly judging.

And sorry, but I hold to my comparison of Fundamentalists to Pharisees. (And can you at least try for some modicum of accuracy when responding to others' posts? You don't just get to substitute in "Christians" for "Fundamentalists." I know your complex demands it, but really, can't you try to resist just a bit?) Perhaps you should reflect upon those attributes that Fundamentalists and the Pharisees might have in common. You might learn something.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Is this your attempt to evangelize? It needs some work. You also should really refresh yourself on the meaning of agape, because you fail over and over again to demonstrate it when speaking of others whom you are so clearly judging.

And sorry, but I hold to my comparison of Fundamentalists to Pharisees. (And can you at least try for some modicum of accuracy when responding to others' posts? You don't just get to substitute in "Christians" for "Fundamentalists." I know your complex demands it, but really, can't you try to resist just a bit?) Perhaps you should reflect upon those attributes that Fundamentalists and the Pharisees might have in common. You might learn something.
It is not judging. It is being truthful. You judge Christians. Is there sin? Do sinners need a savior? yes or no?

What is your roll in being a Christian? Bashing the word of God?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM

180 posts, read 202,662 times
Quote:
The last thing that I'm going to do is testify to my faith to someone who has nothing but ill intentions. I'm sorry that you feel that you are following in Christ's footsteps by judging others according to his Word. Personally, I hate to see Him used in such a way. His way was love, not hate. Hopefully you will see that one day.
God's way is love, and God doesn't hate anyone. He hates wickedness and anyone who dwells in wickedness cannot abide with Him. This doesn't mean anyone who has committed a specific sin. Everyone has sinned and continues to sin. Who among us would want someone with a video camera following us around showing what we did and thought in a single week? Nobody would because we would all feel shame because of the impurities in our hearts and actions. God loves us and wants us to be with him. Some choose not to even try to follow him, not to have a relationship. He allows them their free choice. That doesn't make Him judgmental. It makes Him righteous. Some choose to follow Him and his teachings. They fellowship with him, pray, read His word. His followers aren't perfect, but they don't choose a life pursuing sin. If a man says he is a Christian and for his entire life sleeps around with woman after woman, or murders continually and desires more and more to do what is wrong, he is not a Christian according to the Bible. If a person continues to desire to do what is right and what the Bible teaches, praying and reading the Bible, he will still sin occasionally ore even daily. The difference is his heart desires to do good, to become right with God, to repent from the sin, and to do it no more. He doesn't say God is wrong and I want to do what I want and live for myself. There are people who call themselves Christians who live for themselves. Those who are Christians follow Christ. They seek to live as He would want and love other people. They don't show hatred toward a group. That doesn't mean they accept behavior they believe is wrong, but they pray for the person, do what they can to show love, and hope the person eventually chooses to leave the live of sin and seek after a relationship with God.
As for being born a certain way or whatever, we are ALL born sinners. We all are born desiring to steal, cheat, lie, live for our own selfish desires. That doesn't mean we should continue the behavior that satisfies our fleshly desires.
I'm not trying to sound preachy or convert anyone, but I've seen a lot of misquotes of what it means to be a Christian, what the Bible says, and what God and Christians believe that isn't true at all. If someone is offended because I think something they do is wrong, it doesn't make me intolerant; it makes me unaccepting, unless I start to speak out against people or groups. Jesus didn't speak out against people except the religious leaders who had rejected Him. He spent most of His time with sinners. He did NOT accept the sins, but told the people to repent, follow Him, and be saved. Those who did were, regardless of their past actions. This included the Samaritan woman who was sleeping with a man whom she wasn't married to and had many previous husbands/lovers. He didn't say keep doing what you're doing, but he didn't start condemning her especially not in public.
I apologize that this was off the original topic of Savage being a bully. Going back on topic, teaching junior high, I can tell you that at many schools in our town, GLSA groups band together and sometimes bully (make fun of and sometimes torment on a habitually basis) Christian groups. Recently, there was a teen who shot a gay boy for tormenting him over and over everyday at school. At the same time, a boy hanged himself last year near here and it's suspected he was gay and was bullied. So, it happens on both sides. Both sides are wrong when it happens, just like Savage was wrong. He used his position of authority to ridicule kids. If I, as a teacher did that to students--even if it was on the playground and the kids could walk away--I would expect to be fired. It's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies