Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

Meth: rural white person drug

Crack: inner city black person drug

Both drugs are abused by all races, but for whatever reason, meth's lure is stronger to whites, crack's lure is stronger to blacks. Both are destructive and devastating to those who can't get enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Meth is something people who this nation passed by can do to make a living. It is one product they can make and sell and there is demand . A community with a Meth problem is usually the place that 50 years ago had a small textile mill a shoe factory, a sawmill or a small metal working shop or metal foundary. If you lived there you probably had a father or a relative that worked there and you could get a good enough job to have your own familly a nice modest house and a fairly new Chevy or Ford. A high school education was enough and you could still get by without one. Go to such a town today and see how likely that sort of career is today. Its gone with the ruins of what was a sawmill, textile mill or factory. Windoes boarded up. The locks and chaines on gates rusting away. The grass on rail sidings that haven't seen a rail car in twenty thirty years. Meth at least beats what passes for welfare in this nation and you might feel better when getting strung out on it! People need to think why things are, it isn't Mayberry RFD or Ozzie and Harriet anymore.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Meth is something people who this nation passed by can do to make a living. It is one product they can make and sell and there is demand . A community with a Meth problem is usually the place that 50 years ago had a small textile mill a show factory, a sawmill or a small metal working or metal foundary. If you lived there you probably had a father or a relative that worked there and you could get a good enough job to have your own familly a nice modest house and a fairly new chevy or Ford. A high school education was enough and you could still get by without one. Go to such a town today and see how likely that sort of career is possible. Its gone with the ruins of what was a sawmill, textile mill or factory. The grass on rail sidings that haven't seen a rail car in twenty thirty years. Meth at least beats what passes for welfare in this nation and you might feel better when strung out on it!
I know what you're trying to say here. But . . .

Cop-out. All of it. For one thing, in the Portland-metro area, this scenario does not fit, although it might in lumber towns. My point here is that, contrary to a lot of posts, meth is not confined to rural. However, I am aware that mobile "cook stations" in farm fields is a problem.

I had a neighbor who started dabbling in drugs simply because he was a stupid-ass, Period. He had a good job and lost it because his boss got fed up with him checking into work stoned. Before long he was on meth, up all damn night, and I felt compelled to watch our property like a hawk because I didn't trust him. These freakin' tweakers have to support their habit somehow . . . theft. Meth turns people ugly, and their mug shots in the papers look like something from zombie movies.

Most of these tweakers can get off their lazy butts and find a job if they want to. If minimum wage is all they can get then that's good enough ~ it's certainly been good enough for the migrant labor doing the jobs that they "don't want".

Last edited by Bluesmama; 04-29-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Meth is something people who this nation passed by can do to make a living. It is one product they can make and sell and there is demand . A community with a Meth problem is usually the place that 50 years ago had a small textile mill a shoe factory, a sawmill or a small metal working shop or metal foundary. If you lived there you probably had a father or a relative that worked there and you could get a good enough job to have your own familly a nice modest house and a fairly new Chevy or Ford. A high school education was enough and you could still get by without one. Go to such a town today and see how likely that sort of career is today. Its gone with the ruins of what was a sawmill, textile mill or factory. Windoes boarded up. The locks and chaines on gates rusting away. The grass on rail sidings that haven't seen a rail car in twenty thirty years. Meth at least beats what passes for welfare in this nation and you might feel better when getting strung out on it! People need to think why things are, it isn't Mayberry RFD or Ozzie and Harriet anymore.
Not true of socal. There were lots of empty houses form the forclouser mess, but the meth problem predated it. It just got worse. All it takes is an empty house you can sneek into. The cops only show if called if you are a personal eyewitness to a sale and the culpret is still there. My neighbor who's son was staying with her to take care of her started using and cleaned out pretty much everything in the apartment which could be sold while she went on vacation. He had an income and a home. Its horribly incidious and destroys so many lives.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Meth is often made in rural areas away from city congestion because of the obvious smell created when cooking it. Then it makes its way all over the country. People who manufacture meth and/or consume it are usually a-political and don't give a rats patootie about who's in charge. They may not even vote.
Yeah, in a rural part of my county a guy got charged with 119 counts of meth, one for each bottle found. It's believed to be the biggest meth lab find in Oklahoma state history. The meth maker
is jailed in lieu of $1.02 million total bail.

Hearing set for Payne County man facing 119 meth counts » Crime Beat » Stillwater NewsPress
http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x1...cturing-counts
Earlier this year a big pseudoephedrine bust: http://www.stwnewspress.com/crimebea...phedrine-sting

So who knows just how big the meth problem is in just my part of Oklahoma.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-30-2012 at 03:29 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Have the blue states yet discovered the joys of Meth; or does Meth only appear in tornado alley?

Meth Lab Explodes In Man’s Pants « CBS St. Louis
as i understand it, the ingredients to grow meth are abundant in corn-growing areas. i don't know exactly what the shared ingredient is between meth and corn production.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, why is it so much more of a problem in MO than, say, in New England?
Because they don't grow a ton of corn in New England; the terrain, weather and soil are not as suitable for it compared to Missouri.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Meth is one drug that I wouldn't want to see legalized. Dangerous to the user, to those who manufacture it, as well as those around the manufacturer. Ohio has it's problems with meth for sure, but fortunately I've never been around it, nor do I ever want to be around it, or those who are into it.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Meth is an equal opportunity disaster.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Soooo, is there any gang activity tied to Meth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies