Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
No, even poor whites have a advantage over blacks when it comes to the justice system. It's not about the legal defense team it'd about the stereotypical nature of how you view the defendant. You just assume blacks are the one who committed the crime, not saying you personally but you get the drift.

These kids are animals and too uneducated to handle the situation properly but I blame the parents of these boys the most however they don't stand a chance, it's a wrap for them.
Talkabout stereotyping the system;that is one rave on doig just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Susan Smith? You mean the case that got a tiny amount of the media attention that the black stripper did that accused the Duke students of rape? Or the Tawnya Brawley (sp?) case?

Trayvon's case has lots of doubt as to who initiated the physical confrontation, yet Zimmerman has been arrested and charged. The shooter in the Daniel Adkins case not only hasn't been charged, but his name hasn't even been released.
A tiny amount of media attention? Were you living on a remote island in a cave? That story received international media coverage. Not to mention, every black man in the area was treated as a suspect. And, that's not the only case. But, what's to be expected?

Both the Duke and Brawley cases were despicable. Unlike some, I don't try to justify egregious behavior on the basis of race. Wrong is wrong.

There is no question as to whether Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon. He did. However, I will allow the court to decide that case. I am not familiar with the Daniel Adkins case, so I can't comment on it. Hopefully, justice will prevail.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You completely minimized it in your post.
And, according to btsilver's links above, it apparently can happen:

Mo. teen charged with setting 13-year-old on fire - Yahoo! News

The orginal news stories from the Coon case said he had mostly 1st degree burns with some 2nd degree burns on his nose. Sounds very similar to the case above where it's been proven the kid was set on fire by another teen.

And a general note: WTH is up with several teens being set on fire in Kansas City? What makes the older teens in both cases so evil?
No, I commented according to the "burned alive" assertion. Apparently, these are separate cases. Let's deal with this thread.

I am not trivializing this case. But, I do believe pertinent details are missing. With that said, anyone who would deliberately burn another human being is seriously disturbed, evil, or both.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
A tiny amount of media attention? Were you living on a remote island in a cave? That story received international media coverage. Not to mention, every black man in the area was treated as a suspect. And, that's not the only case. But, what's to be expected?

Both the Duke and Brawley cases were despicable. Unlike some, I don't try to justify egregious behavior on the basis of race. Wrong is wrong.

There is no question as to whether Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon. He did. However, I will allow the court to decide that case. I am not familiar with the Daniel Adkins case, so I can't comment on it. Hopefully, justice will prevail.
I actually agree with you, and agree that all criminals and crimes need to be dealt with equally, regardless of race.

The Daniel Adkins case? Happened about a month ago. He was out walking his dog and gets into a verbal confrontation with a driver in their car in a parking lot. The driver shoots and kills Adkins, who was armed with a yellow lab. As you said, you're not familiar with the case. There has been nearly no media coverage. If you Bing Daniel Adkins, you don't even find the shooting case till the 2nd or 3rd page. THere is no indication that the shooter (who happened to be black) was in any danger. Heck the shooter's name hasn't even been released.

In the Zimmerman case, we have front page news for weeks, and calls for his murder. Was Zimmerman in the wrong? I don't know, the evidence isn't complete. But at best, it's much closer to a justified homicide than the Adkins case...which, sadly gets virtually no coverage. That is my issue, the biased, uneven coverage and response of these cases.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,172,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Unlike the Zimmerman case,I expect the perps will be arrested and charged with a crime. See the difference? The police won`t give these guys a free pass. That`s why the evil "media" jumped on the Martin-Zimmerman case.
Umm. That would be UNLIKE the Zimmerman case, since Zimmerman as the accused has been arrested and charged and these racist thugs have not been arrested.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
And zimmerman could have easily let him go and not approach him. I go back to my intial point, he started it, and i hope he is convicted and his life is ended in jail.
O. M. G.

"he started it" ?!? Are you out of your ever loving mind? "he started it"?????

So if I follow someone, that JUSTIFIES that person to jump on me and start beating my head in to the pavement?!

REALLY!?!!?!?!?!!?!!?!?

As for these kids who set the other one on fire, what "chance" SHOULD they have? The kid was on his own fricken porch! What "chance" are they worthy of?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
O. M. G.

"he started it" ?!? Are you out of your ever loving mind? "he started it"?????

So if I follow someone, that JUSTIFIES that person to jump on me and start beating my head in to the pavement?!

REALLY!?!!?!?!?!!?!!?!?

As for these kids who set the other one on fire, what "chance" SHOULD they have? The kid was on his own fricken porch! What "chance" are they worthy of?
Yes. He started it. How else would Zimmerman have encountered Martin had he not left his car and followed Martin?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
We seem to be stuck in a rut and every morning I find a new "black person kills white person wheres the outrage" thread.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I actually agree with you, and agree that all criminals and crimes need to be dealt with equally, regardless of race.

The Daniel Adkins case? Happened about a month ago. He was out walking his dog and gets into a verbal confrontation with a driver in their car in a parking lot. The driver shoots and kills Adkins, who was armed with a yellow lab. As you said, you're not familiar with the case. There has been nearly no media coverage. If you Bing Daniel Adkins, you don't even find the shooting case till the 2nd or 3rd page. THere is no indication that the shooter (who happened to be black) was in any danger. Heck the shooter's name hasn't even been released.

In the Zimmerman case, we have front page news for weeks, and calls for his murder. Was Zimmerman in the wrong? I don't know, the evidence isn't complete. But at best, it's much closer to a justified homicide than the Adkins case...which, sadly gets virtually no coverage. That is my issue, the biased, uneven coverage and response of these cases.

The coverage was totally ridiculous. But, so was the complete lack of coverage leading up to the onslaught.
But this is not new. How many weeks (months) of coverage did Natalie Holloway get?
How much coverage did the Stuart case in Boston get? Lots when everyone still believed it was a random black man, not so much when it turned out he killed his own wife.

We all know that there are a limitless number of terrible cases and cases that get way more attention than they probably deserve.
But to try to build equivalency between any of them is pointless.

If anyone believes that a particular situation is not getting the requisite attention, then follow the Martin family's example. Find a sympathetic ear and exploit it for all its worth just like they, Natalie's mother and many others have done.
But don't blame any of them for wanting justice for their child.

If I was this boy's mother, you'd better believe I would be pushing my way into Greta Sustern's or someone's face if I felt that his situation was being minimized.

For anyone to suggest, however, that coverage is less in this instance because of the race of the victim is wishful thinking at best.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times
According to the police report he was not "doused" in gas.
The gas can was dropped after the assailant tried to light it in fire, then the gas on the ground was ignited. This produced a "fireball" that traveled upward.
(similar to when you light a gas grill)
http://opnateye.com/wp-content/uploa...Coon-Final.pdf

That this happened is terrible, but it is in no way as bad as a teen getting killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies