Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Rather than start a discussion about the system I would like to know who thinks are tax system as it is actually works well.
My answer is a simple no. I do not know how to set this as a poll but would be happy if someone set it up as a poll
I am unaware of anybody claiming it works. The issue isn't that but to find ways to address the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The biggest problem is how it is spent.......ummm.....overspent.
Again true, but if you want tax reform then you need to start with your income before trying to do a budget. That said, there is still plenty of waste that could be dealt with, we could save Billions right off the bt by simply stopping the money flow to the rest of the world. It is ridiculous to talk about cutting funding to social programs for Americans that need it while sending Billions to other countries around the globe, especialy when one realizes half of them are not even friends of ours.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I am unaware of anybody claiming it works. The issue isn't that but to find ways to address the problems.
I did wish to see if someone did think it worked.
So do you tweek the current system in hopes it will work or throw out the system and start over?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
The problem is that we keep feeding the monster and the monster keeps growing bigger, and it's eating us alive.
10% flat tax for everybody, the gov't will just have to learn to exist on that, and the people will prosper. That's the way it's supposed to be. Why do we think the gov't can spend our money better than we can? Charities will flourish, wars will become to expensive.
The current tax system is insane. We should never have allowed them to tax our labor to begin with.
Last time we went to the dump, we paid a new tax, called a fuel surcharge. What the hell is that? We already paid tax on our fuel, several of them.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I did wish to see if someone did think it worked.
So do you tweek the current system in hopes it will work or throw out the system and start over?
Either way, the issue will be in our approach to addressing the problem. You're into radicalization, I am not. You're into regressive ideas, I'm into progressive (which we could use more of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The problem is that we keep feeding the monster and the monster keeps growing bigger, and it's eating us alive...
Different issue.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Either way, the issue will be in our approach to addressing the problem. You're into radicalization, I am not. You're into regressive ideas, I'm into progressive (which we could use more of).

Different issue.
Please notice i did not attempt to name a program in this thread.
I simply asked if it is best to change the system entirely or tweak what we have.
Your reply is either way.
I do not see tweaking the system as an effective way to solve the problems. If congress could first decide if they want to tweak what we have or change the system we could then have a starting point on a bipartisan tax system.
My point is i do not think arguing what system we use or the merits of flat versus fair or flat versus progressive tax rally will lead us anywhere .To me the first step would to be agree to tweek or change. Then a true discussion of how it can happen

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Rather than start a discussion about the system I would like to know who thinks are tax system as it is actually works well.
My answer is a simple no. I do not know how to set this as a poll but would be happy if someone set it up as a poll
The tax code is written to manipulate economic behavior, or when Democrats are in power it is for distrubution of wealth toward their unions and others who vote for them.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
I think the politicians think our tax system works well, since it empowers them.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Please notice i did not attempt to name a program in this thread.
I simply asked if it is best to change the system entirely or tweak what we have.
Your reply is either way.
I do not see tweaking the system as an effective way to solve the problems. If congress could first decide if they want to tweak what we have or change the system we could then have a starting point on a bipartisan tax system.
My point is i do not think arguing what system we use or the merits of flat versus fair or flat versus progressive tax rally will lead us anywhere .To me the first step would to be agree to tweek or change. Then a true discussion of how it can happen
That is true. But I know where you will be going. No? That is what I based my opinion off. I'm glad though that you're open to conversation, a rare thing to see in this forum.

And speaking of the first step, as I said, I have yet to see someone claim everything is fine that status quo is necessary. Where it gets stuck, however, is where I would rather move on to.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
That is true. But I know where you will be going. No? That is what I based my opinion off. I'm glad though that you're open to conversation, a rare thing to see in this forum.

And speaking of the first step, as I said, I have yet to see someone claim everything is fine that status quo is necessary. Where it gets stuck, however, is where I would rather move on to.
My goal here is to first decide to tweak or change. If we agree to tweak lets then talk about what tweaks and see if there is a middle ground.
I am very intrigued to see if we could come up with some middle ground ideas that could be used as a starting point.
We agree its not working now
That said i will have to answer you much later as I am involved in a baseball tnm and now have to get back to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies