Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Treks are made in Taiwan, except for their best ones, like the Madone, the same one Lance rode, those are made in Wisconsin. There are smaller bike companies making them in the U.S. (like Waterford, also out of Wisconsin) but they cost more. They also last a lifetime. You get what you pay for with U.S. made products. Caterpillar, for example, makes most of its earth moving equipment in the U.S. and is the industry leader, but they are also the most expensive. People in remote locations want good equipment, not something they saved money on, only to have it break down in the middle of nowhere.

BTW, have not been in a Wal Mart for over a decade.
Wal Mart sucks. I have not been there in five years. I have the Madone 3 series. The Waterford bikes I think are the same bikes that used to make the shwinns when they were a U.S. company.

Clothes, shoes and electronics are the hardest thing to find that are made in America. The OP was simply wrong as to who buys american. All the liberals that I know try to buy American and it is not just because we support American business, but because we want quality. You want junk...go to Wal mart. You can get lead paint on your toys for children to put in their mouth and contaminated dog food for your pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
We all know liberals have a lot of political energy to expend - or in otherwords are just very political. Liberalism does seem to have a strong following and influence on young people and those who are highly educated (and thus have a lot of disposable income). So, my thought is: what if liberals as a group took on a strong effort and rhetoric toward buying American? With the amount of political energy they display and many wrapping their way of life and indentity around their politics, I tend to think they could really turn this country around by doing one simple thing: buying American. I know there is a small faction of union-related, working-class Democrats that live by this philosophy, but they just aren't enough to make what could be a much bigger impact. One thing that brought this idea to mind is that I recently saw one of my local politicians (Kay Barnes) driving around in her Mercedes E-class from Germany. Also, I had the thought when Romney said his wife drives "a couple of Cadillacs" that at least they're American! All in all, it seems to me that Republicans are more into buying American than Democrats, which sort of seems backwards, depending on your political beliefs.

What do you think?
They don't have time for that. They are too worried about what I do and how I spend my money. There was a whole book written about it a few years ago called "Do As I Say Not As I Do: Profiles In Liberal Hypocrisy." These are the same people preaching about what kind of car I should drive if I want to save the planet at the same time they are jetting all over the place, burning a lot more fuel than I ever will, to say it. They're all hypocrites.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They don't have time for that. They are too worried about what I do and how I spend my money. There was a whole book written about it a few years ago called "Do As I Say Not As I Do: Profiles In Liberal Hypocrisy." These are the same people preaching about what kind of car I should drive if I want to save the planet at the same time they are jetting all over the place, burning a lot more fuel than I ever will, to say it. They're all hypocrites.
That is a broad brush that you use. You must not have read my and ODanny's posts. I don't care what kind of car a person drives. If a person wants to drive a tank and pay $85 everytime they fill up that is fine with me. I don't try to fix stupid. It is a waste of time.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
There's one very important lesson to understand in supply and demand and Wal*Mart is the perfect example.

It doesn't matter what you want people or push people to buy the vast majority are going to go with what's affordable, and because of the entitled feeling of the American work force, their products, around the globe, are losing demand (because they cost too much for most countries purchase) en masse.

The fact that people in the U.S. won't work for lower wages and instead would rather sit on welfare till something better comes (that's not coming for decades on end) is the perfect example of why the U.S. can't (and in most cases won't) be able to compete.

Quote:
Opportunity for leverage.

Leveraging the local and global footprint and the scale of Walmart saves our customers money so they can live better. Global sourcing efforts drive merchandise quality and uniqueness. Operational cost efficiencies and various systems, processes and technologies allow us to lower the prices in our markets. The ability to choose between local and global sourcing provides us with a significant competitive advantage in our markets.
http://www.walmartstores.com/sites/A...rnational.aspx

Quote:
Some of our preliminary assessments are highlighted below:
  • The whole international system—as constructed following WWII—will be revolutionized. Not only will new players—Brazil, Russia, India and China— have a seat at the international high table, they will bring new stakes and rules of the game.
  • The unprecedented transfer of wealth roughly from West to East now under way will continue for the foreseeable future.
  • Unprecedented economic growth, coupled with 1.5 billion more people, will put pressure on resources—particularly energy, food, and water—raising the specter of scarcities emerging as demand outstrips supply.
http://www.dni.gov/nic/NIC_2025_project.html (broken link)

Last edited by BigJon3475; 05-05-2012 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree in this day and age, it's the democrats and those on the left that are really carrying the "Live american, buy american" mantra.

Those on the right seem to applaud the failures of american companies, and were calling for the extermination of american icons like chrysler and GM

The right wingers look at buying american made products as somehow a bad thing.
You got it all BACKWARDS doh! Obama is causing a revolt by banning-Buy American!!

WASHINGTON -- A group of 68 House Democrats and one Republican sent a letter to President Barack Obama on Thursday urging him to reconsider an element of the controversial free trade agreement currently being negotiated by the administration. If approved in its current form, the pact would effectively ban "Buy American" policies in government contracting.

Although the deal, known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, has received relatively little media attention in the United States, it has sparked international friction among consumer groups and environmental activists who worry that terms demanded by the Obama administration will eliminate important public protections. Domestically, however, the deal's primary source of political tension is from a portion that could ban "Buy American" provisions -- a restriction that opponents emphasize would crimp U.S. jobs.

Last edited by SityData; 05-05-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yes, I can.

Buying American is greedy?

Can you imagine a Republican saying "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?" What you hear Republicans saying is "I want my tax-cut;" "I want the poor to pay taxes;" "we don't need social programs, like Medicaid, that I don't take advantage of", etc. The GOP is the most selfish and greedy party we have. Some in their party equate taxation in general to theft.

On the topic of imports, conservative polices over the last 30 years has made it easy for American companies to export jobs. No other country encourages job exportation. Why do we do it? Because politicians are on the dole of the corporations and do their bidding.
Real conservatives want low taxes for all! It makes no sense at all for taxes to be raised when the gov't continues to WASTE the money. Why should any American pay more taxes to Uncle Sam when the money goes nowhere.
As for the poor paying taxes... That depends on what kind of "poor" person you are talking about. A person with a low paying job might actually be poor. But, that person should pay his fair share.
1. Everyone should have the opportunity to work
2. Everyone should contribute to society (i.e. pay taxes)
People who do not pay taxes have nothing invested in America. If we all share the burden then we can all claim America as our country. The class warfare has got to stop.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I got this quote from an old 80's movie and liked it so I thought id share.
"We're going to find ourselves at the bottom of the heap, having no idea how we got there, buying radios and cars from our former enemies. I don't believe that's going to happen I can't believe it because if I stop believing in the common horse sense of the American people, there'd be no way I could get out of bed in the morning."

Just thought it was appropriate for a buy American thread
what movie?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Wal Mart sucks. I have not been there in five years. I have the Madone 3 series. The Waterford bikes I think are the same bikes that used to make the shwinns when they were a U.S. company.

Clothes, shoes and electronics are the hardest thing to find that are made in America. The OP was simply wrong as to who buys american. All the liberals that I know try to buy American and it is not just because we support American business, but because we want quality. You want junk...go to Wal mart. You can get lead paint on your toys for children to put in their mouth and contaminated dog food for your pets.

You are very similar to liberals I know. Most of the ones who buy clothes (many make their own clothes) usually buy them from local people who make clothes or people they like on etsy.com.

I think the OP is confusing liberals with conservatives because liberals are always more "local" buyers versus conservatives IMO, local means they buy American and support American business/farmers/artisans.

My husband was swayed by one of our friends to get a super expensive bike from a local shop that sells good quality, American bikes. He got a really good one and I admit that I tried to talk him out of it but I stopped trying to convince and he got the bike and it was really reliable and well put together until he was silly enough not to chain it up and someone stole it. Now he wants another. We will have to ensure it once we get another one. He said it was the "Cadillac of bikes" and he didn't know what he was missing until he rode it. I can't remember what kind it was, only that it cost as much as a cheap, hooptie type car.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Democrats has a problem with the way Capitalism and a free society works.

Success is to be rewarded and emulated, it should not frowned upon as unfair. So Democrats get all lost in this topic IMO.

They also love to get involved to pick winners and losers and often screw up the rules by law so many things fail.

It gets complicated, but in general get the government out of the way of the people.
Wow. That's about the most retarded paragraph I've read all day. Had cons not been feeding crony capitalism for the better part of a century we might actually have a free society. Complaining about regulations only means anarchy rules for top 1% earners and oppression for the 99% carrying their luggage without right to fiscal self defense. But blame it on the dems, the indies, and the liberals. It's what your owners told you to believe as you gladly sold America out for a measly tax return. Bravo! You've earned a whole country to yourself. Just elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You are very similar to liberals I know. Most of the ones who buy clothes (many make their own clothes) usually buy them from local people who make clothes or people they like on etsy.com.

I think the OP is confusing liberals with conservatives because liberals are always more "local" buyers versus conservatives IMO, local means they buy American and support American business/farmers/artisans.

My husband was swayed by one of our friends to get a super expensive bike from a local shop that sells good quality, American bikes. He got a really good one and I admit that I tried to talk him out of it but I stopped trying to convince and he got the bike and it was really reliable and well put together until he was silly enough not to chain it up and someone stole it. Now he wants another. We will have to ensure it once we get another one. He said it was the "Cadillac of bikes" and he didn't know what he was missing until he rode it. I can't remember what kind it was, only that it cost as much as a cheap, hooptie type car.
Furniture made in the U.S. is far better than any that I have seen imported from Asia. To many people look at the front end cost of things. Most of the crap from Walmart ends up in junkyard. Buy quality wood products made in the U.S.A and it will last for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies