Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

Life Inc. - A teen with a job becomes a rarity in US economy

This is a big change in economy and society that has not gotten much attention. The percentage of employed 16-19-yr-olds is only about 25 percent, down from 40-50 pct during the 1980's and 1990's. Also according to the article, the situation is even a little worse than the 25 pct figure suggests. Teenagers who have jobs often get them through family connections. Hence those from poor families who need jobs the most, get them the least.

There are a few obvious reasons for this change. Doubtless as wealth increases, some kids will choose not to work because they don't have to. Still I think that for any teen there is a natural (and healthy) impulse to get some independence from Dad & Mom's money.

The biggest factor would appear to be immigration. All the jobs that I could get as a kid--fast food jobs, landscaping, janitorial, etc.--are now dominated by immigrants. Another factor is the minimum wage, and the constant efforts by democrats to raise it, along with various do-gooder effort to increase 'child labor' regulations.

What do you think will be the consequences for the future of the US economy from this change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
I see that as a good thing. I didn't need to have a job until I had a masters degree (and I was 22 at the time). The focus was entirely on building a career, not flipping burgers.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
It's been moving in that direction for a while.
The emphasis, at least since the mid-80s has been for teens to concentrate on school, extra-curriculars and other activities that will beef up their college apps. Volunteering has taken the place of paid employment for many in that age group.

And, it is one more thing that parents have strived to provide for their children - the ability to not have to work as teens.

In my area, the deck is stacked against those kids who do want to work.
Many of the traditional employers - retail, fast-food - will not hire anyone under 18 now and many won't hire anyone who cannot work any available shift or full-time.
It is a real Catch-22.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Its all about the college racket. Get them into a four-year degree school so they can spend $100,000 to get a degree in lesbian Hispanic studies.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,686,224 times
Lol!!!

All I look about & see... is
"People" with jobs & are paying taxes are the rarity.

Wonder if the country can still keep going like that???

P.S. bearing in mind not only the other % NOT paying taxes & receiving welfare...
Then we have the non-working spouse (child rearing or not), and what about the children...
Then the retirees????
Nice numbers.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
It's definitely getting harder for teens, at least where I live. My older daughter was easily able to nab a summer job (we live in a tourist destination) but her younger sister (7 years between them) is having a hard time finding one.
Most of the traditional teen types of jobs are now taken by adults. I was at the local McDonald's yesterday and there was not a teen to be seen. it was all adults, and not immigrant adults, we really don't have many immigrants here.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
What about the fact that many of the jobs that used to be done by teenagers are now done more cheaply by illegal immigrants? The fast food restaurants near me are full of illegals, but not many American teenagers behind the cashier. It's a shame.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Its all about the college racket. Get them into a four-year degree school so they can spend $100,000 to get a degree in lesbian Hispanic studies.

So true. About 80% of college degrees are totally worthless

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What about the fact that many of the jobs that used to be done by teenagers are now done more cheaply by illegal immigrants? The fast food restaurants near me are full of illegals, but not many American teenagers behind the cashier. It's a shame.

How do you know they are illegal? Is it that the skin is too brown,do they speak spanish or that accent you last heard on a cruise to Aruba, or is the accent French (aha Haitian), in some areas like the mid-Atlantic they sound like Natasha and Boris. Lastly does the haboob give it away? Ask yourself what do young American teenagers bring to the job anymore? It can't be wisdom and knowledge. All a high school dipolma represents in most American school districts is a attendence certificate it has nothing to say as to literacy or math skills.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Life Inc. - A teen with a job becomes a rarity in US economy

This is a big change in economy and society that has not gotten much attention. The percentage of employed 16-19-yr-olds is only about 25 percent, down from 40-50 pct during the 1980's and 1990's. Also according to the article, the situation is even a little worse than the 25 pct figure suggests. Teenagers who have jobs often get them through family connections. Hence those from poor families who need jobs the most, get them the least.

There are a few obvious reasons for this change. Doubtless as wealth increases, some kids will choose not to work because they don't have to. Still I think that for any teen there is a natural (and healthy) impulse to get some independence from Dad & Mom's money.

The biggest factor would appear to be immigration. All the jobs that I could get as a kid--fast food jobs, landscaping, janitorial, etc.--are now dominated by immigrants. Another factor is the minimum wage, and the constant efforts by democrats to raise it, along with various do-gooder effort to increase 'child labor' regulations.

What do you think will be the consequences for the future of the US economy from this change?
Bingo. These jobs are mostly held by immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies