Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 PM

19,772 posts, read 20,360,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You are incredibly naive.

Sexual compatibility, or lack thereof, can, and often does, make or break a marriage. If you attempt to start a marriage without knowing whether or not you are compatible, you're gambling with your future.
I agree with this. Definitely.

I dated a guy for a good while, who turned out did not perform oral sex. Fuuuuuuu** thaaaaat!!!

I also think waiting for marriage is a bad idea, considering the ban on gay marriages. That's completely biased and unfair to homosexuals.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,833,752 times
Sexuality in humans is becoming a lot like sexuality in domestic dogs. It's just about humping whatever is out there to hump. No more courtship rituals or bonding.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,071,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
..From there on I was in search of love- cos' I thought I knew what love was- I knew what sex was - that was it- I played music and slept with well over 120 woman- It was not a good idea....Love first- sex later....SEX is powerful and can bring about changes that are not in your best interest- It's like a drug...addictive...

Love is important...and it has to go both ways...just because you love someone does not mean they automatically love you. BE CAREFUL
Very well said. I am a maie and my experiences were different, but with some common threads. The emotional aspect of sex is very powerful (like a drug, as you say) and this is generally not well recognized or understood.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,514,405 times
The marriage thing is irrelevant.

Once you are a grown, responsible adult who can take care of yourself, you can do whatever you want.

Unfortunately, that description applies to less than half of the adult population.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Really? So if you're not in a situation to start a family until you're 30 you should wait to have sex until you're 30? You do know that there is birth control, right?
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. But I have to say birth control fails a lot more than people are willing to admit.

I read somewhere that the average woman will have 1.8 contraceptive "failures" in her reproductive lifetime. In plain English, that means almost 2 unplanned pregnancies even if she uses birth control throughout her reproductive life.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, none of the above is true.

Birth rates for single teenage mothers are pretty much at all time lows since statistics have been kept.

Thanks for playing, though.
It's true that that teen birth rate is down. But the out of wedlock birthrate has gone nowhere but UP. And it doesn't bode well for the parents or the kids. If you have a kid as a single parent, you're more likely to live in poverty or semi poverty. People who live with their partners are more likely to split up than those who sign on the dotted line of the marriage contract.

And it's not just religious conservatives any more who say that having kids out of wedlock is bad for parents and kids alike:

Forget Juno. Out-of-wedlock births are a national catastrophe. - Slate Magazine

Scholar Kay Hymowitz, author of Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age, turns the argument around and says it's not that harsh economic conditions lead to women having children without fathers, but that the decision to have children without fathers leads to harsh, and self-perpetuating, economic conditions. She explains that having the belief that a solid marriage is central to one's life—that it precedes starting a family—encourages women and men to make important choices based on self-discipline and deliberation. This is a formula "needed for upward mobility, qualities all the more important in a tough new knowledge economy."

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-05-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
But the facts are the facts. Divorce is at all time lows, when compared to times where divorce was legal. STD transmission rates are at all time lows. Teen pregnancy rates are at all time lows. Murder rates are at all time lows.
Divorce is at all time lows because the people most likely to divorce don't bother to get married any more. Hence, we have a 40% out of wedlock brith rate, which is economically devastating.

Your statements about teen pregnancy & murder are correct, though.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,335,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. But I have to say birth control fails a lot more than people are willing to admit.

I read somewhere that the average woman will have 1.8 contraceptive "failures" in her reproductive lifetime. In plain English, that means almost 2 unplanned pregnancies even if she uses birth control throughout her reproductive life.
Please provide a link to this information.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,286,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Divorce is at all time lows because the people most likely to divorce don't bother to get married any more. Hence, we have a 40% out of wedlock brith rate, which is economically devastating.

Your statements about teen pregnancy & murder are correct, though.

Yup...a piece of paper and a cheap ring make all the difference in your economic situation.

Someone apparently forgot to tell Brangelina, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Douglas, Linda Evangelista, January Jones, Halle Berry, Jessica Simpson...

Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,286,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I agree with this. Definitely.

I dated a guy for a good while, who turned out did not perform oral sex. Fuuuuuuu** thaaaaat!!!

I also think waiting for marriage is a bad idea, considering the ban on gay marriages. That's completely biased and unfair to homosexuals.

I'm with you...what a dolt...if you can't cut the mustard, at least you can lick the jar!!!

I bet he didn't have the same issues with oral sex being performed ON HIM, right?

What a waste of space...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies