Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,702,382 times

Advertisements

This current generation is a product of "everyone's a winner" and they all got trophies.
They got the latest toys and wore the name brand clothes.

But now they are in the REAL WORLD and it's the harsh reality that it's really "may the best man win" and "every man for himself".
The evidence of this is quite clear.."It's not FAIR that he makes more money than me".

Patting them on the head for 18 years and telling them they are great regardless of what they did is what you see today. Go back to mama who will tell you how great you are and maybe even give you another trophy cause it don't work like that out in the real world.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 PM

868 posts, read 1,434,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This current generation is a product of "everyone's a winner" and they all got trophies.
They got the latest toys and wore the name brand clothes.

But now they are in the REAL WORLD and it's the harsh reality that it's really "may the best man win" and "every man for himself".
The evidence of this is quite clear.."It's not FAIR that he makes more money than me".

Patting them on the head for 18 years and telling them they are great regardless of what they did is what you see today. Go back to mama who will tell you how great you are and maybe even give you another trophy cause it don't work like that out in the real world.
I want you to tell me something.

Are you, or are you not, a product of your upbringing?

If there is fault here, doesn't some of it lie with the parents who raised their children to believe that the sky is the limit for everyone, and that every person is a special snowflake?

It sounds to me like you are blaming the wrong people.

These kids will learn, because they will have to. But FFS, don't blame them for being angry and resentful that most of what they were taught growing up was a false promise.

BTW, I think blame is a sour deal for everyone, but since you are promoting it, make sure everyone who has earned it gets a slice of that pie, okay?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I want you to tell me something.

Are you, or are you not, a product of your upbringing?

If there is fault here, doesn't some of it lie with the parents who raised their children to believe that the sky is the limit for everyone, and that every person is a special snowflake?

It sounds to me like you are blaming the wrong people.

These kids will learn, because they will have to. But FFS, don't blame them for being angry and resentful that most of what they were taught growing up was a false promise.
And that "false promise" is still quite evident in schools, organized sports, and in the home.
This "everyone is a winner" mantra is not just practiced in the home.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM

868 posts, read 1,434,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that "false promise" is still quite evident in schools, organized sports, and in the home.
So we blame the kids for it? You are not making a lot of sense.

They are going to have to face harsh realities soon enough. Can we at least not call them whiners and losers for doing what they were raised to do?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
So we blame the kids for it? You are not making a lot of sense.

They are going to have to face harsh realities soon enough. Can we at least not call them whiners and losers for doing what they were raised to do?
But that is what they have become. They want someone to hand them a job, making good money of course and then be able to come and go in the workplace as THEY see fit.

I USED to mentor HS and college interns at my job. About 3 years ago I told my manager that I wasn't going to do it anymore. These kids think texting and posting on facebook during work hours is "the norm". I felt like I was babysitting rather than mentoring. No more. And FWIW I have been doing that annually since about 1990. The 90's had a great crop of future software engineers. Around 2005 or so is when I started to see "Mommy's special snowflakes". The one that broke the camel's back for me was the one whose mother called the job weekly to find out how her son was doing and to pass on complaints from her son about the work he was supposed to be doing.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 PM

59,509 posts, read 27,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
knowledgeisthe key. perfect oximoron.

Being a baby boomer I don't agree with ANYTHING you have claimed.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM

45,599 posts, read 61,013,469 times
Easier?
I don't know.

I seem to remember an unpopular war fought by draftees, a couple or three real miserable recessions. Related to the recession of the late 70's/early 80's I do remember nearly 2 years without a job (one of those years my total income was $3000), no Unemployment extensions, a pregnant wife who wasn't hired for a teaching opening (which she'd been doing as a permanent sub) because of that pregnancy. That was legal then, by the way.

I also remember gas prices doubling overnight and then doubling again a few years later, both instances sending the economy going into, or deeper into, recession.

There was not the availability of money for college then (I applied for a college loan at 9%, ended up not taking it) so most of us had to work our way through.

The first TV I bought, just a TV, was $400. Figure out how many hours of work at $4.35/hour that took to buy. My son just got back from Hawaii. His airline tickets were cheaper than when I flew to California from PA in 1972. He flew to Hawaii from MD.

Easier? Whatever.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,857,972 times
It's like the old feminist eccentric movement...who attempted to notch everything down to a low common standing for both sexes...There is no such thing as equality- we are taught we are all equal but we are not. No one in the world can hold down a good-strong and intelligent - naturally independent woman....

Maybe the youth who complain start out with a defeatist attitude. I understand that. There are probably more restrictions and the political correctness that was supposed to free them has enslaved them..A new upper class has formed and they will tell the youth that they are all the same and deserve the same- and should all learn to share the same small piece of pie...The sooner the newbees learn that those that they trust and listen to are liars- all earthly success comes through deception.

Every great fortune is the result of some great and undetected crime. In other words kids...You live in a world that appears more civilized and more fair but it is actually more corrupt- Your enemy is the same one we baby boomers fought...nothing has changed..do NOT worship those with great wealth and status...the more you put them in a place of high esteem- THE LOWER YOU PUT YOURSELF--- NOW GO GET EM KIDS...YOUR TURN TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM

519 posts, read 734,166 times
The whole texting argument is so tired. I'm a Millenial and I don't even own a cell phone. However, most of the time I see people messing around with their cell phones while driving, are middle aged people. So does that mean every middle aged person texts/talks on their cell phone while driving? Of course not.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,114,776 times
It isn't fair to bash an entire generation...there have been/are many good and or hardworking people from the baby boomer generation. On the other hand, the greed and immorality of some of the baby boomers is epic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.