Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,663,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The irony is the computer that you type that post from was in all probability built by technology invented by a boomer. The music that you listen to is based on musical trends started by Boomers. Basically it was Boomer that laid the groundwork for all the technology you see today. Millenials have basiically built things like Facebook or Twitter on top of that ground work.

If you wear blue jean it's because Boomers made then fashionable.

If you go looking for a job the person you will interview with is probably a Boomer.

The corporations like Apple, Starbucks, Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, and countless others that feed your generations incessant need for technology and material consumption were all started by Boomers.

If you have a LEGITIMATE complaint about Boomers that's fine. But to make rants like your post make you come off as spoiled, ill tempered, immature and woefully ill formed AT BEST.
Boomers invented the internet, eh? Hmmm.... forgive me if I credit Gen X and the millenials for the communications revolution.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Boomers invented the internet, eh?
Pretty much. The first communication between machines over a network was in the early 70's. Email started in the early 70's but still wasn't common until the late 70's early 80's.

The vast majority of the software/hardware engineers in the 70's and early 80's were Boomers.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:09 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,664,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Huh? I chose to make the military a career because one year into my service 9/11 happened. I decided to stick around to see the war that started on my watch out. (I didn't realize it was going to drag on for so long back then.) I'm not looking for sympathy points or anything else about this. Besides marrying my beautiful wife and raising my wonderful daughter, serving my country in this capacity has been the greatest honor of my life. One can say a lot of things about me, but having a me-me mentality isn't one of them. I'm a team player, Fox. I feel more in tune with the values of the WWII generation -- I'm all about the common good and common values and toning down one's self when appropriate to conform to the group for the greater good.
yes, you, you, you.

YOU have it the hardest.
YOU are fighting in the worst war.
YOU look down on those you deem are beneath you, to the point of being sarcastic about other soldiers fighting past wars.

Nice the way you ignored the rest of my post.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,145,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I was born right at the tail end of the baby boom-1962. I must agree with the original poster that our generation in conjunction with the one right before us has left a mess for the millenials--at least economically and also enviromentally. I don't understand how people who call themselves "conservative" in our generation--people I hear on right-wing talk, etc. think that conserving the enviroment for the next generations is a bad thing. I also don't know how they think cutting funding for education and not thinking about other methods of fuel rather than drill baby drill. When president Obama tries to fund new research into solar energy, etc., he gets constant flack, but subsidies to the thriving oil industry must be preserved in their minds.

Anyway, one thing you millenials have inherited, which is much better because of boomers, is much, much less racism and sexism. Our generation was on the front lines in the civil rights movement, the women's movement, gay rights, etc. So, for that you can thank us.

I do understand your anger about the messed up economy and won't chastise you like so many others on this thread have done.
This I do applaud you guys on. Many Americans risked their lives and/or dignity for the civil rights movement during your era. There were many great leaders who arose during that time and the reason we have made strides socially in this country is because of the work done in the past.

As far as those particular issues go, the Boomers had it much worse than us.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
yes, you, you, you.

YOU have it the hardest.
YOU look down on those you deem are beneath you, to the point of being sarcastic about other soldiers fighting past wars.

Whatever dude.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
yes, you, you, you.

YOU have it the hardest.

Your an a*shole for that one.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
None of us has had it as hard as those that came of age during the Great Depression.
So stop spewing the "oh poor me because of you" rhetoric.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,853,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
None of us has had it as hard as those that came of age during the Great Depression.
That would be my grandma, who passed away at 100+ a few months ago. She saw enough through her life to slap people in denial about 'their times' left and right. She was extremely proud of her grand kids, not so much of her own (four boys, but all of them were actually born in 1930s, so pre-baby boomers).

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
None of us had it as hard as cavemen. Your life is cake.

See how easy that is?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Mad love for that generation, no doubt. What I love about them is despite the hardships, they knuckled up and built a better America. Too bad they had kids who mocked them and didn't appreciate the sacrifices they made. I appreciate them. Rather than hating on the boomers, those of us in our 20s and 30s would be better off just looking to that generation and trying to emulate them the best we can. We should just ignore the boomers. Attention only encourages them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies