Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yeah, Two words: Microsoft and Apple.
Knew this guy who hung out with Billy Gates in the old days- They would sit around smoking hash and playing blues guitar..One hippy came up with a great idea regarding computers...Bill Gates said to the guy "If you are not going to use that idea..I'm gonna run with it"- well - Bill had a father- He was a patent lawyer..a guy who knew how to brand things and own them legally.

Point I was making- If it were not for Gate's dad being a lawyer- Bill could never have stolen the idea that made him billions...Such is the way of the world- Gates like the inventor Edison was clever- Edison invented very little- he had a crew of very smart people - who all signed waivers giving up their legal rights to any patents- I am not impressed with GATES...big deal.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Knew this guy who hung out with Billy Gates in the old days- They would sit around smoking hash and playing blues guitar..One hippy came up with a great idea regarding computers...Bill Gates said to the guy "If you are not going to use that idea..I'm gonna run with it"- well - Bill had a father- He was a patent lawyer..a guy who knew how to brand things and own them legally.

Point I was making- If it were not for Gate's dad being a lawyer- Bill could never have stolen the idea that made him billions...Such is the way of the world- Gates like the inventor Edison was clever- Edison invented very little- he had a crew of very smart people - who all signed waivers giving up their legal rights to any patents- I am not impressed with GATES...big deal.
Well, just like Zuckerberg and Facebook. He stole the idea from a couple of guys that went to the same college as he did.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
Just anther loser it seems i one gernation .I agree not all or even most are like this.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

We need more Teslas and less Edisons. People who want to invent for the betterment of society rather than for purely financial reasons.

If we'd followed Tesla's lead we'd all have wireless energy right now and be pulling our energy naturally, from electrical storms.

Unfortunately, the all mighty dollar won.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them.
Spoiler
They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history.
However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
Tell that to the 60,000 U.S. servicemen who came back from Viet Nam in a box. Or tell their wives and children. Or their parents.

Better yet, tell their Congressmen. Just don't tell Al Sharpton.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, fortunately, not all baby boomers are that self-absorbed idiots...

2012 versus 1984: Young adults really do have it harder today
Thanks for the contribution

This article does a breakdown of prices and wages based on raw numbers and numbers adjusted for inflation.

Additional Facts

On wealth distribution
Between 1979 and 2009, the richest 5 percent of American families saw their real incomes increase 73 percent while the poorest Americans saw their real incomes decrease by 7 percent.

Saez, Emmanuel. 2010. “Striking it richer: the evolution of top incomes in the United States.” Working Paper, University of California, Berkeley.

On wealth distribution
If U.S. incomes were still distributed as they were in 1979, the average U.S. worker would receive nearly $6,000 more a year in income.
Piketty, Thomas and Emmanuel Saez. "Income Inequality in the United States, 1913-1998," Quarterly Journal of Economics, 118(1), 2003.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

You can rant all you want about this, but the statistics show that people with college educations get paid the most and have a lower unemployment rate. There have been many links posted about this. Do a search.

Learn to read. My post said nothing about people with degrees getting paid less.

Since you have trouble with it, I'll repeat my post; "Millions of Americans have well paying jobs and don't have a college degree."

That is a fact, not a rant.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Tell that to the 60,000 U.S. servicemen who came back from Viet Nam in a box. Or tell their wives and children. Or their parents.

Better yet, tell their Congressmen.
So your using the war as your basis? I feel that its a valid argument. One of the first valid arguments I've heard all day.

We have not had a draft to deal with. However, economically, we have it worse than some of the past generations.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Winner? What is this, preschool??

Winners find solutions. Losers whine.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
People have always gone to college for useless stuff. It's just the useless degrees that used to get you a job, no longer anymore.
You're pissing into the wind with this idea; all you'll get for your troubles is wet and smelly.

We knew what the word work was about well before we entered secondary school and didn't have the luxury of a free ride like yourselves until graduating from college or university. Seems all I hear from those whiners is how big a student loan they've gotta pay back; heelllooooo, taking out a loan to finance a higher education wasn't even in the cards for us. Two part time jobs were often the norm and hoping you could get hired at a place that allowed you to study between loading trucks.

You see; back then you required a credit rating AND an income so as to make payments on any loans, unlike today where you can even buy a house without a down payment or an income that would even come close to making the stupid payments. NUTS!

How many of you sucks has a credit card? We didn't, you needed to put gas in the beater you coughed up the cash or walked. Cel-phone with texting minutes? You kiddies would rather spend an hour updating your Facebook profile than beating the streets for a job.

These very boards are the perfect example of the newer gen's proclivity towards hanging on a forum and whining to a huge audience of fellow travellers. You're all wasting your time on here instead of our there doing something useful. Typical

Nope! You still haven't learned anything; even after your parents who graduated with those BofA's warned you about applied basket weaving and toilet flushing 101.

Those who waited in lines for hours to get an interview holding that worthless BofA while the BofSc and engineering degrees walked right in the door should have, and very probably did, tell you to pick a degree that had some currency for the future and the really smart ones probably told you to forego college and univerisity altogether and take a mechanical trade but nooooo; you little darlins' don't want to get your hands dirty even if 80k a year is the reality in a lot of the skilled trades.

Nobady owes you anything; least of all any apology. You're old enought to vote now so do your best and pick a crew with integrity. It's on you now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies