Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why would you choose to be "trapped in any closed space with someone who is smoking a cigarette?"
If you had read the entire thread you would have learned that before the smoking bans, workplaces were often poisoned by secondhand smoke. I had to attend faculty meetings where the smoke of a few inconsiderate smokers impacted all of us who were in the room. Likewise with the faculty 'lounge', which was the only place that staff could congregate for lunch and planning. It was foul and disgusting and I am grateful for laws that prevent such behavior in 2012.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
With the attitudes on this board I can only guess that within a short time all restaraunts will be forced to offer certain foods on their menus. .

It's already happened in New York City and Chicago. NYC banned trans fats and Chicago banned foie gras.

So, yes, the nanny state Nazis will continue to tell us how to live our lives.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
If I started setting off stink bombs, wold you say, I have a right, and those who don't like it should go elsewhere - apparently so.

Yes. You should have the right to open a bar and set off stink bombs all day long in your bar.

You should also have the right to open a bar and play loud music that most of us don't like all day long.

It's your bar. It's your choice.

My choice is to not go into your bar with the stink bombs and loud music.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. You should have the right to open a bar and set off stink bombs all day long in your bar.

You should also have the right to open a bar and play loud music that most of us don't like all day long.

It's your bar. It's your choice.

My choice is to not go into your bar with the stink bombs and loud music.
That's pretty much what it boils down too but in his opinion you're being "selfish" because you're not catering to his needs.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Two scenarios:

A. You walk up to bar and it says "smoking allowed".

B. You walk up to a bar and it says "Stink Bobs Allowed"

Why do you think you would have the right to complain about either activity?

You shouldn't have the right to complain about either. Nor how loud they play their music, nor the temperature of their beer, nor the height of their tables, etc, etc. Your right is to choose to not go there.

But the Nanny State Nazis want to tell business owners exactly how to run their business. This trend is growing every year.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Your posts have entered the realm of the absurd?

Maybe you should campaign for a new nanny state law that prevents anyone from posting absurd statements. That would fit your nanny state utopia quite nicely.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Considering that just about everything else in America was better during the times before smoking bans, I would say that a little second hand smoke is a small price to pay for a much better country overall

Correct. Unfortunately, many don't value freedom and give it up quite easily.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
If you had read the entire thread you would have learned that before the smoking bans, workplaces were often poisoned by secondhand smoke. I had to attend faculty meetings where the smoke of a few inconsiderate smokers impacted all of us who were in the room. Likewise with the faculty 'lounge', which was the only place that staff could congregate for lunch and planning. It was foul and disgusting and I am grateful for laws that prevent such behavior in 2012.

So you were not "trapped". You chose to enter those places.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I'm assuming this is public school? As I've said before there is reasonable bans and that would be one of them. A ban there I could agree with but if it's a private employer in a private building that decision should be left up to the employer. Having said that I doubt many employers would lift the ban even if they could.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
As someone who is pretty allergic to cigarette smoke, life for me at least, is better with the ban. I m pretty sure it is inconvenient for smokers, but not as beyond inconvenient it was for those of who used to have to endure second hand smoke.
A smoker's habit should not be allowed to infringe on my habit..of breathing clean air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies