Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No deal.

The government has no business promoting any religion, so doubling the number of religions that the government is promoting doesn't fix anything.
I think the suggestion really just serves to highlight the hypocrisy of the Christian theocrats. To them, the first amendment doesn't exist when they are the ones using the state to push their religion on others. Yet they suddenly find the first amendment when a Muslim or whatever wants to do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM

27,605 posts, read 28,706,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Why is it that when Christians want to express their religion people get pissed off, but it is perfectly fine to express Anti Christian beliefs or Atheist beliefs?
What atheist "beliefs"? That there is no God?

I agree that should not be promoted by the government either.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I didn't say anything like that, but it's the christians that continue to push their beliefs on to others.
Your irrational fears aside, the reality is that no one in the US suffers any repercussions from not going to church, for not believing in any god, nor is anyone punished for worshiping in a non-Christian religion.

That is the beauty of America, we are free to believe, or not believe in any god or religion, and nothing changes in our lives.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,259,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Your irrational fears aside, the reality is that no one in the US suffers any repercussions from not going to church, for not believing in any god, nor is anyone punished for worshiping in a non-Christian religion.
Nope, no fears here. Not even sure where you are coming from, never did I say anything about repercussions of any sort. Nor did I say anything about being punished for worshiping any religion.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Nope, no fears here. Not even sure where you are coming from, never did I say anything about repercussions of any sort. Nor did I say anything about being punished for worshiping any religion.
One has to wonder why some posters feel the need to constantly try to shift the conversation instead of having a discussion.

Of course, in many parts of the country, there are repercussions if one doesn't go to church or believes in the "wrong" religion.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM

27,605 posts, read 28,706,672 times
I think the issue is this: if government does not support or promote religion in schools, some people take that as government tacitly approving atheism.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,122,560 times
Whether or not a school or other public place hangs a religious item doesn't bother me one bit. What gets me is the faux-outrage people have that something they may not agree with is supposedly offending them. So what if a fake tablet with 10 sentences on it is hung on wall? Who cares? Get over yourselves. Don't look at it. How about taking the energy to espouse this faux-outrage at something that really matters like helping the poor and needy? They had a menorah in my classes? Guess what? I'm not Jewish and I certainly wasn't offended. My Jewish friends appreciated it and that was good for me.

Now, conversely, it is fair that if this is kept in the classroom then another item of importance from other religions be kept there as well. I will also go on to say that if the teacher is utilizing these symbols to teach the foundations/beliefs/etc. of said religion, then I would be inclined to think they don't belong there. Let them stay there and go on your merry way.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Whether or not a school or other public place hangs a religious item doesn't bother me one bit. What gets me is the faux-outrage people have that something they may not agree with is supposedly offending them. So what if a fake tablet with 10 sentences on it is hung on wall? Who cares? Get over yourselves. Don't look at it. How about taking the energy to espouse this faux-outrage at something that really matters like helping the poor and needy? They had a menorah in my classes? Guess what? I'm not Jewish and I certainly wasn't offended. My Jewish friends appreciated it and that was good for me.

Now, conversely, it is fair that if this is kept in the classroom then another item of importance from other religions be kept there as well. I will also go on to say that if the teacher is utilizing these symbols to teach the foundations/beliefs/etc. of said religion, then I would be inclined to think they don't belong there. Let them stay there and go on your merry way.

Jordan fades back.... swish! AND THAT'S THE BALL GAME!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Whatever happened to schools being a place for learning? Why is there a need to put up religious displays?
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM

913 posts, read 873,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
ACLU Sues Over 10 Commandments Display at Narrows High School in Virginia | Video | TheBlaze.com

And if you don't like the blaze, here is another source.

Court orders mediation in Ten Commandments case » Local News » Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

This is ridiculous! I hope the school wins. Whether they win or not, someone will find out who the student is and the Atheists will give him/her money for college. Rewarding whiners.

the only way to solve this problem is to privatise education through low cost private schooling. don't like the commandments on the wall, go to another school. don't like teachers, politics, syllabus, etc, change school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies