Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Due to my company firewall I cant post the link, but here's a quick rundown.

In Brownsville Brooklyn, a group of teens were playing a game of chicken on a parking gate that goes up and down whenever a car leaves or enters. The last person to hang on wins. Only this time, one of the teens held on too long and was afraid to jump resulting in him getting crushed within the mechanism at the top of the gate. Immediately the mother spoke out about how if the park within the complex for the kids to play at wasnt fenced off that this would have never happened. She also blamed security for not paying attention or rushing to the aid of the child as he hung from the gate for approximately 10 minutes while waiting for emergency services to arrive.

While I feel sorry for the loss of this child, I'm becoming quite annoyed with people putting blame on others for theirs or their childrens self doing. Although he was only 12, I'm quite sure he knew that this was not a safe game to play. According to neighbors, this teen was warned just the day before by security to stop playing around and hanging on the gate. How the mother feels she has a case is beyond me. Although I wont be surprised if a judge rules in her favor and she is awarded a substantial amount of money for this.

1. Twelve years old is not a TEEN. Notice the lack of the word teen at the end of the number?

2. Additionally, CHILDREN in this age group are not treated as adults because they are not biologically capable of the same abstract reasoning adults are including things like the ability to stop what they are doing and weigh the possible consequences of their actions. Abstract reasoning is a skill biologically developed by most children in the mid teens, though some as late as the late teens

3. If the security guards knew the children were playing near the gate, as adults who are capable of abstract reasoning, they are responsible for addressing the issue, whether it be notify the parents, the development officials, etc. Maybe they did.

4. Yes, the parents hold a measure of the blame, as does the child himself to a lesser degree. But if the company knew that children were playing on this gate and they took no measures to stop it, notify the families, etc, than yes, they also have a measure of blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Due to my company firewall I cant post the link, but here's a quick rundown.

In Brownsville Brooklyn, a group of teens were playing a game of chicken on a parking gate that goes up and down whenever a car leaves or enters. The last person to hang on wins. Only this time, one of the teens held on too long and was afraid to jump resulting in him getting crushed within the mechanism at the top of the gate. Immediately the mother spoke out about how if the park within the complex for the kids to play at wasnt fenced off that this would have never happened. She also blamed security for not paying attention or rushing to the aid of the child as he hung from the gate for approximately 10 minutes while waiting for emergency services to arrive.

While I feel sorry for the loss of this child, I'm becoming quite annoyed with people putting blame on others for theirs or their childrens self doing. Although he was only 12, I'm quite sure he knew that this was not a safe game to play. According to neighbors, this teen was warned just the day before by security to stop playing around and hanging on the gate. How the mother feels she has a case is beyond me. Although I wont be surprised if a judge rules in her favor and she is awarded a substantial amount of money for this.

Pfft, you expect her, the mother of the child, to claim responsibility for her child's actions? Please, in this day and age, if kids do something wrong it's the fault of other people-the teacher/cop/security guard.

Next week: dumb kid plays chicken w/ an Acela train, train wins, mother sues Amtrak and the Dept. of Transportation for not putting up enough signs warning kids that trains going 100+ miles an hour can kill you if you stand in the way.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I guess no one will be playing that game anymore.
nah, there's a certain segment of parents probably okay w/ their kids continuing this game. At best, it gets the dumb brats out of the house for a bit; at worst, they can sue when the kids die and make off w/ a tidy profit

Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
According to many people I know who still live in NYC, Brownsville is just as bad, if not worse than many parts of the South Bronx. Especially in recent times.
Brownsville is more dangerous, but the South Bronx is still poorer.

Quote:
I agree. I dropped off a friend who handles restaurant violations to meet a client over on Gates and Nostrand. It was a VERY unpleasant looking area. Much more worse than any area of the BX that I currently know.
Gates & Nostrand is Bed-Stuy, not Brownsville. Brownsville is further south and east.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Actually, neighborhoods in the Bronx are among the poorest neighborhoods in NYC.
Semantics, the Bronx is the poorest borough in NYC and I believe hosts the poorest congressional district in the country. However Brownsville is similarly poor and the crime there is through the roof.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
1. Twelve years old is not a TEEN. Notice the lack of the word teen at the end of the number?
Okay
Quote:
2. Additionally, CHILDREN in this age group are not treated as adults because they are not biologically capable of the same abstract reasoning adults are including things like the ability to stop what they are doing and weigh the possible consequences of their actions. Abstract reasoning is a skill biologically developed by most children in the mid teens, though some as late as the late teens
Some states try criminals this young as adults. I agree though kids generally lack sufficient reasoning skills

Quote:
3. If the security guards knew the children were playing near the gate, as adults who are capable of abstract reasoning, they are responsible for addressing the issue, whether it be notify the parents, the development officials, etc. Maybe they did.
I don't know about this one. Does NYC have a good samatarian law. Frankly I'm very familiar with people like those featured in this story. You cannot tell them anything about their precious kids or they are likely to get violent with you.

Quote:
4. Yes, the parents hold a measure of the blame, as does the child himself to a lesser degree. But if the company knew that children were playing on this gate and they took no measures to stop it, notify the families, etc, than yes, they also have a measure of blame.
The article says a security guard warned the kids the day before. Maybe the dead kid was not one of them. I don't think the family should get a dime but in NYC there are a lot of people like you who agree with shifting responsibility to other parties. So most likely they'll get something.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Would the parent want to sue Bloomberg if the kids jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge to see who could make the biggest splash?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

The security guards were not paid to be babysitters for these children and it's the parents' responsibility to watch over their children.

The parents were definitely neglectful.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Not sure why the developer needed a meat grinder to prevent illegal parking.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Well, at least he won the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies