Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Black people can adopt children? Gross.
That is such an abomination. Those kids are going to become criminals and thugs!

And what's up with this blacks marrying whites thing? 96% of Americans opposed that abomination, and some ridiculous activist judges oppressed the Will of the People.

It's clear American morality has been going downhill since the 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Why is the government involved in marriage other than to extort license fees?
Because Protestants opposed marriage being religious and the Puritans brought secular, common law marriage to America where it stuck.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
if majorities can vote on the rights of minorities while having themselves and NOT risk losing those rights while voting on them for others, shouldn't it be OK of my state wanted to vote on the right of black people to adopt children?

afterall, majority vote should rule.... shouldn't it? my state is pretty racist and i think it would pass if put to a vote.

IF you think that we shouldn't be able too then why not.. and if you don't think so, why is it OK to do that to gay people?

A gay marriage is TWO GAY people getting married if you're straight i still can't understand how you think YOU should have a SAY in this when you're not able to see it from a gay person's perspective since it really has no consequence for you at ALL.

should other people have the power to deny other tax paying citizens the rights they have?

i thought it was unconstitutional for two reason 1. voting on the rights of other citizens unless it was for EVERYBODY. (example if we were voting on the right for EVERYBODY to get married it's be OK to vote on because the law would impact all citizens equally)

2. i thought the fourteenth amendment made it clear that either EVERYBODY gets a right or NOBODY gets them.
Legally speaking, it depends on the group - discrimination based on race must pass strict scrutiny, discrimination based on sexual oriantation merely rational basis (with a bite, so to speak).

Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
if majorities can vote on the rights of minorities while having themselves and NOT risk losing those rights while voting on them for others, shouldn't it be OK of my state wanted to vote on the right of black people to adopt children?

afterall, majority vote should rule.... shouldn't it? my state is pretty racist and i think it would pass if put to a vote.

IF you think that we shouldn't be able too then why not.. and if you don't think so, why is it OK to do that to gay people?

A gay marriage is TWO GAY people getting married if you're straight i still can't understand how you think YOU should have a SAY in this when you're not able to see it from a gay person's perspective since it really has no consequence for you at ALL.

should other people have the power to deny other tax paying citizens the rights they have?

i thought it was unconstitutional for two reason 1. voting on the rights of other citizens unless it was for EVERYBODY. (example if we were voting on the right for EVERYBODY to get married it's be OK to vote on because the law would impact all citizens equally)

2. i thought the fourteenth amendment made it clear that either EVERYBODY gets a right or NOBODY gets them.
As long as someone is not stepping on the rights of others government should stay out. Instead we have control freaks running other peoples lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies