Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Wait, is this thread about the Federal Judge or about Ted Koppel?

Why do I care what Ted Koppel has/had to say about it? What makes Ted an authority on anything?

Furthermore, the 10 commandments are nothing more than a written-down version of what was socially acceptable at the time of their writing. I seriously doubt any of the 10 were radical or revolutionary at the time they were codified. Therefore, they are not a uniquely Christian (nor uniquely religious) construct.

In summation - I have no idea where you're trying to go with this thread. You want me to agree that, in general, the 10 commandments are a good way to live? Sure, I'll agree with that. You want me to agree that even 6 of the 10 should be posted in a public school? Nope.
I didn't know that all 10 of the commandments were posted in public schools anymore. That judge sounded like he didn't know they weren't supposed to be there and that bothers me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 PM

613 posts, read 760,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. You did not prove me wrong, but you can try if you want. For example in Mark 10, He quoted some of the 10 commandments, but my whole point was to say they are all covered under "Love your God and love your neighbor". You missed the point entirelly.

As for the old Jewish law and Christians: Col 2:14 He wiped out the written Law with its rules. The Law was against us. It opposed us. He took it away and nailed it to the cross
and
Heb 8:13 By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear
That dude, torn you up, brah.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
God doesn't change Roy. He is the same God today as He was at the day of Moses. Even then He kept forgiving Israel.
Then all these years I have been wrong about the Hebrew god being one who punishes and the Christian God is one who forgives? Damn, I wish my mother hadn't taught me that.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm an atheist and I don't like those words because they are not Truth.

Moses, which isn't even a real name, did not bring them down from Mount Sinai, rather he copied them from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, written before 2,800 BCE, which is about 700 years before Abrahm was born and then married his half-sister Serai.

I have not robbed.
I have not coveted
I have not stolen
I have not committed wrong-doing against anyone
I have not done injustice in the place of Truth
I have not done evil
I have not debased a god
I have not done that which the gods abominate
I have not slandered a servant before his superior
I have not killed
I have not commanded to kill
I have not damaged the offerings to the gods
I have not copulated in sin
I have not been lascivious
I have not taken milk from the mouths of children
I have not neglected the days concerning their offerings

Those are just some of the "commandments" plagiarized by the Hebrews.
If the 10 Commandments are as important as you claim they are, then why didn't Jesus give the 10 Commandments to Isaac, before the Hebrews went to Egypt?

If Reuben had known about the 10 Commandments, then he wouldn't have slept with his father's concubine and lost his birth-right (inheritance) for doing so.

Why didn't Jesus give them to Abrahm? Or Terah? Or Noah? Or Lamech?

In fact, why didn't Jesus give people the 10 Commandments before Jesus was stupid enough to figure out that people (and plants and animals) were "wicked" and he had to murder them all with a great flood?

Humans are tromping around Earth for what, 500,000 years or so before Jesus has a moment of brilliance and says:

"Doh! I should give the people some commandments to live by!"

In the beginning? The beginning of what? Certainly not the beginning of humanity, and not the beginning of civilization. If Ka'in had known about the commandments, maybe he wouldn't have murdered Abel.

I tell you what, I'll make a deal with you: You get 50.01% of x-tians to follow 100% of the commandments 100% of the time, and I'll let you post your silly plagiarized commandments anywhere you want. I'll even chip in some money to make copies for you post. Hell, I'll put you on my back and fly you around the US to post copies.

In any event, what the hell does it matter?

Who cares if the 10 Commandments are posted or not?

I can murder and kill everyone on Planet Earth, and all I have to do, say, "I'm sorry Yahweh-Jesus-Casper-the-Friendly-Ghost-thing, I love you guys"...

....and I get a free pass into heaven. So what's the point of having commandments if there is no need to comply with them, and no penalty for refusing to obey the 10 Commandments?

Truthfully...

Mircea

Wrong.

1 John 2 2:3 Now by this we know that we have come to know God: if we keep his commandments. 2:4 The one who says “I have come to know God” and yet does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in such a person. 2:5 But whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has been perfected. By this we know that we are in him.

Mark 10:17 “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 10:18 Jesus said to him, ...You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”

Matthew 19:16 “Teacher, what good thing must I do to gain eternal life?” 19:17 But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 19:18 “Which ones?” he asked. Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19:19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not covet,” (and if there is any other commandment) are summed up in this, “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 16:15 But Jesus said to them, ...16:18 “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery, and the one who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Mark 10:10 In the house once again, the disciples asked him about this. 10:11 So he told them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 10:12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Matthew 19:9 Now I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”

How sad is it when an atheist has to set a x-tian straight?

I already proved you wrong, and it doesn't matter since the first Christians were Jews.

As a point of fact, the only reasons non-Jews became Christians and that's because Paul said it necessary to take a knife and hack your John Thomas to bits cutting off the foreskin, and you can eat all the bacon you want.

Historically...

Mircea
I will just say that as an atheist you confuse me talking about Jesus as God and so on. Yes, I do believe in the Trinity but I do not believe that Jesus existed before he was born. Sorry but your history is written like an atheist did it and not like one of your x-tians did so. When I see you say that piece of crap I surely know what you are so you don't need to tell me. Do you dislike the cross as much as most atheists do?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You can see that demonstrated in threads on these forums every day. The outraged discussion just goes on and on and on even AFTER the facts are revealed. It's like...truth doesn't matter one iota.

It's all about the anger! It's all about the hate. It's all about the FEAR, not facts.
Go back and count the number of posts in this thread done by atheists and get back to me about it. I think at least half if not more.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Did you teach the children black people are only considered to be 3/5 of a person and women can't vote?
I made sure that the kids knew that the 3/5 Compromise was done in order to have a Constitution. Slave owners wanted to count all of the slaves and not let them vote so the people from the north allowed counting 3/5 of them in order to get the Constitution done with all the states involved. When people throw that man, 3/5 of a man at me I have to consider them just a bit ignorant of the whole thing.

As for women voting, that came here from Europe and just took some time to get past. I don't think a lot of women really cared up to the 20th century but now I wonder if they should be allowed to vote since so many of them will vote Obama again for whatever reason they use.

I will take it that you don't realize that the 3/5 Compromise was done away with after the Civil War. You don't really think that is still a part of the law.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
What do you need them for anyway? Don't kill - yet most AMERICANS are thrilled by the act of capital punishment and abortion.

Do not covet- yet you plunder an nation that is weaker than you and take their goods and resources.

Adultery- It just as common as marriage.

False gods- money is your god.

I could go on and on- so which ones do they want to toss out that they have not already tossed out? Seem that there are no commanded laws left that the nation adheres to anyway---so what is the big deal?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm an atheist and I don't like those words because they are not Truth.

Moses, which isn't even a real name, did not bring them down from Mount Sinai, rather he copied them from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, written before 2,800 BCE, which is about 700 years before Abrahm was born and then married his half-sister Serai.

I have not robbed.
I have not coveted
I have not stolen
I have not committed wrong-doing against anyone
I have not done injustice in the place of Truth
I have not done evil
I have not debased a god
I have not done that which the gods abominate
I have not slandered a servant before his superior
I have not killed
I have not commanded to kill
I have not damaged the offerings to the gods
I have not copulated in sin
I have not been lascivious
I have not taken milk from the mouths of children
I have not neglected the days concerning their offerings

Those are just some of the "commandments" plagiarized by the Hebrews.
If the 10 Commandments are as important as you claim they are, then why didn't Jesus give the 10 Commandments to Isaac, before the Hebrews went to Egypt?

If Reuben had known about the 10 Commandments, then he wouldn't have slept with his father's concubine and lost his birth-right (inheritance) for doing so.

Why didn't Jesus give them to Abrahm? Or Terah? Or Noah? Or Lamech?

In fact, why didn't Jesus give people the 10 Commandments before Jesus was stupid enough to figure out that people (and plants and animals) were "wicked" and he had to murder them all with a great flood?

Humans are tromping around Earth for what, 500,000 years or so before Jesus has a moment of brilliance and says:

"Doh! I should give the people some commandments to live by!"

In the beginning? The beginning of what? Certainly not the beginning of humanity, and not the beginning of civilization. If Ka'in had known about the commandments, maybe he wouldn't have murdered Abel.

I tell you what, I'll make a deal with you: You get 50.01% of x-tians to follow 100% of the commandments 100% of the time, and I'll let you post your silly plagiarized commandments anywhere you want. I'll even chip in some money to make copies for you post. Hell, I'll put you on my back and fly you around the US to post copies.

In any event, what the hell does it matter?

Who cares if the 10 Commandments are posted or not?

I can murder and kill everyone on Planet Earth, and all I have to do, say, "I'm sorry Yahweh-Jesus-Casper-the-Friendly-Ghost-thing, I love you guys"...

....and I get a free pass into heaven. So what's the point of having commandments if there is no need to comply with them, and no penalty for refusing to obey the 10 Commandments?

Truthfully...

Mircea

Wrong.

1 John 2 2:3 Now by this we know that we have come to know God: if we keep his commandments. 2:4 The one who says “I have come to know God” and yet does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in such a person. 2:5 But whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has been perfected. By this we know that we are in him.

Mark 10:17 “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 10:18 Jesus said to him, ...You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”

Matthew 19:16 “Teacher, what good thing must I do to gain eternal life?” 19:17 But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 19:18 “Which ones?” he asked. Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19:19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not covet,” (and if there is any other commandment) are summed up in this, “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 16:15 But Jesus said to them, ...16:18 “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery, and the one who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Mark 10:10 In the house once again, the disciples asked him about this. 10:11 So he told them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 10:12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Matthew 19:9 Now I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”

How sad is it when an atheist has to set a x-tian straight?

I already proved you wrong, and it doesn't matter since the first Christians were Jews.

As a point of fact, the only reasons non-Jews became Christians and that's because Paul said it necessary to take a knife and hack your John Thomas to bits cutting off the foreskin, and you can eat all the bacon you want.

Historically...

Mircea
Spoken as if satan himself did as he deemed himself higher than God as if he had that authority. You have not the Holy Spirit in you so you cannot understand the word of God to begin with.. it is foolishness to you. Only the Holy Spirit of God in you can discern the spirit of the word of God.. to you it is nonsense as explained in the bible.

Satan also used the word of God against Jesus..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh, I know all right , and the X is the first letter of a Greek word meaning Christ but it is used today to exclude Christ from the word Christmas.

We do not talk Greek , and it is the only word that an X is placed there to expel the word Christ.

Today Santa, presents and shopping have replaced the true meaning of Christmas.. wouldn't you agree? Oh yes, and happy holiday. No more Merry Christmas.

'We now decorate a holiday tree and soon we will not know what is the ten commandments..

when all of God is removed.. this world will be hell on earth.. many will want the spirit of God and will not find it .
It seems like you are angry at people for not sharing in your delusion, which I somewhat sympathize with.

I don't participate in any of that Christmas nonsense and have no idea what the true meaning of Christmas is supposed to be, however, I fully agree with you that for most people Christmas is about buying a bunch of garbage to put under a stupid tree. What do you want people to do?

I don't recall ever hearing anybody refer to a Christmas tree as a holiday tree, and I even hear Jew's, Muslim's, and Hindu's say Merry Christmas. Maybe this is only a Miami thing, but I recall having similar experiences during Christmas in NYC, Paris, and Munich, in any case, I think you need to get out of your house and into the real world for a while.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I made sure that the kids knew that the 3/5 Compromise was done in order to have a Constitution. Slave owners wanted to count all of the slaves and not let them vote so the people from the north allowed counting 3/5 of them in order to get the Constitution done with all the states involved. When people throw that man, 3/5 of a man at me I have to consider them just a bit ignorant of the whole thing.

As for women voting, that came here from Europe and just took some time to get past. I don't think a lot of women really cared up to the 20th century but now I wonder if they should be allowed to vote since so many of them will vote Obama again for whatever reason they use.

I will take it that you don't realize that the 3/5 Compromise was done away with after the Civil War. You don't really think that is still a part of the law.
I'll take it you don't understand that the Constitution can be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies