Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times

Advertisements

I heard someone talking about this on the radio yesterday so I decided to look it up. An interesting table of unemployment numbers:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Look at the areas with lowest unemployment. Other than Ames, Iowa at #4 with 4.1%, the low ranked areas are almost all in RED states. Now scroll to the bottom of the list. Of the bottom 18 areas (highest unemployment) 3 are in NJ, one in AZ, and the other 14 all in California. El Centro, CA takes absolute last place with 26.2%. If find that stunning--as a kid growing up, back when Ronald Reagan was gov, CA was the jewel of the nation. At some point, nearly everyone I knew had fantasies of moving there.

No wonder people are moving from blue to red states, and the reds are gaining house seats. The Tenth Amendment, and our system of united states, of fifty 'laboratories of democracy,' remains an underrated strength of the US even as people worry about American decline.

Romney should make this list the 'gospel of Mitt' as he goes forward with his campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Right to work States are always economically better off than those with highly regulated and taxed labor.

Freedom of choice, has its benefits.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
the low ranked areas are almost all in RED states

I'm in a 100% RED state with very low unemployment.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I heard someone talking about this on the radio yesterday so I decided to look it up. An interesting table of unemployment numbers:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Look at the areas with lowest unemployment. Other than Ames, Iowa at #4 with 4.1%, the low ranked areas are almost all in RED states. Now scroll to the bottom of the list. Of the bottom 18 areas (highest unemployment) 3 are in NJ, one in AZ, and the other 14 all in California. El Centro, CA takes absolute last place with 26.2%. If find that stunning--as a kid growing up, back when Ronald Reagan was gov, CA was the jewel of the nation. At some point, nearly everyone I knew had fantasies of moving there.

No wonder people are moving from blue to red states, and the reds are gaining house seats. The Tenth Amendment, and our system of united states, of fifty 'laboratories of democracy,' remains an underrated strength of the US even as people worry about American decline.

Romney should make this list the 'gospel of Mitt' as he goes forward with his campaign.
I know you're making this a political talking point, but places like El Centro, CA and Yuma, AZ are highly dependent upon seasonal agriculture and always have abnormally high unemployment rates. Most of the rest of the cities in California are in the Central Valley, and most are relatively small (Stockton and Fresno possibly excepted.) The cities in New Jersey are also in relatively isolated tourist areas without a lot of nearby sustainable industry. So it's not exactly shocking that areas that depend on unreliable and highly fluctuating industries can have high unemployment at times. This is not a red state or a blue state thing.

Besides, the California dream was to move to Hollywood. It was never to move to El Centro.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Wow, it's like watching a toddler trying to figure out a linear integration. Way over-simplification of the world at large.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, it's like watching a toddler trying to figure out a linear integration. Way over-simplification of the world at large.
Your analogy is off, though. In your analogy wouldn't the toddler more likely be the one resorting to name-calling and taunting, while the guy working on linear integration would be the one posting tables of numbers from the BLS?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Using the criteria of the top 18, I see Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont in there, all of which went for Obama. Obama did lose W. VA, but they are hardly a traditional "red" state. Omaha also went for Obama; Nebraska has a split electoral vote.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Quote:
Your analogy is off, though. In your analogy wouldn't the toddler more likely be the one resorting to name-calling and taunting, while the guy working on linear integration would be the one posting tables of numbers from the BLS?
Some one with the ability to reason better then a toddler would understand the difference between correlation/causation, wouldn't assign areas their voting preference by personal opinion, wouldn't take a single months unemployment numbers ruling out all economic platforms (and even differences between local laws), ignore any history of employment changes, and wouldn't take an economic picture of thousands of variables and simply rule it to a partisan diarrhea over logic.

So It fits pretty well actually. The only difference is that toddlers of at least average intelligence would realize their mistake and try to learn not to do them in the future.

It's not considered an insult to state simple facts, even if they happen to be insulting in exposing a persons stupidity.

Last edited by subsound; 05-12-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,633 times
Quote:
No wonder people are moving from blue to red states, and the reds are gaining house seats.
Interesting data which one could correlate to mean anything they wished - as you've done.

I could, for example, say the figures show the typical American mindset: moving to a state that takes the most and will give them the most while paying the least. It is after all, capitalism at its finest, no?

A simple visual for reference: http://visualeconomics.creditloan.co...l-tax-dollars/

Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
....If find that stunning--as a kid growing up, back when Ronald Reagan was gov, CA was the jewel of the nation. At some point, nearly everyone I knew had fantasies of moving there.

No wonder people are moving from blue to red states, and the reds are gaining house seats. The Tenth Amendment, and our system of united states, of fifty 'laboratories of democracy,' remains an underrated strength of the US even as people worry about American decline....Romney should make this list the 'gospel of Mitt' as he goes forward with his campaign.
I think you have made quite a leap in conjecture to arrive at your points. I have not seen any information supporting your claim that people are moving from the blue to the red states. The few that are are moving with jobs, and since the majority of the 1% are controlling so many jobs -- and have no reservations about destroying our natural resources (habitat, wildlife, etc), they are using their dollars to continue to exploit them and perpetuate our dependency on non-sustainable life styles.

As for California and Reagan, he is largely responsible for the problems that state has experienced. Pandering to the rich at the expense of the common worker, they've driven up housing, keeping the property taxes low, and gutting the services to the people that perform most of the work for too little pay.

Finally, I am not sure exactly what roadmap you think Mitt should follow, but frankly I think it is irrelevant because I cannot imagine him taking any road but the one home once the election is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies