Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Fat cat Republicans need to be taxed? LMAO...how about you start with the Hollywood whores and pimps first? Cher could donate a few of her mansions...don'tchathink? How about the fat ass democrats driving around doing nothing but spending money in their leased luxury cars...let us cut their salaries...ok? At the very least, cut their riduculous pension plans. I want to see Clooney and company give away all but one million of their dollars and I am being fair....anyone could survive on a million dollars. How about it? What are you willing to chip in?
You're focusing on the wrong people. Quit thinking Spielberg and starting thinking Bren and Hearst. The REAL money in CA is not just Hollywood. They are simply the ones you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You don't understand Prop 13 very well. It does not increase property taxes every year by 2%. It limits the increase in assessed value to 2% per year. If your assessed value went up 2% per year, it would take 35 years for the assessed value to double.

Unless you have lived in your home a long time, your property taxes have not come close to doubling unless the local portion of your property taxes increased.

The fix to Prop 13 is to remove that 2% cap. The assessed value should rise with the market. The property tax rate will probably DROP, because assessed values will rise.
i think i do understand. i have lived here a long long time. 2% is what it goes up and yes that is what it is doing. i think i understand what would happen if you scraped prop 13 and i posted about it. rents will go up. they will try to impose rent control and then it will get very ugly.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You don't understand Prop 13 very well. It does not increase property taxes every year by 2%. It limits the increase in assessed value to 2% per year. If your assessed value went up 2% per year, it would take 35 years for the assessed value to double.

Unless you have lived in your home a long time, your property taxes have not come close to doubling unless the local portion of your property taxes increased.

The fix to Prop 13 is to remove that 2% cap. The assessed value should rise with the market. The property tax rate will probably DROP, because assessed values will rise.
You don't understand California politicians very well. The rate will not drop nor will the deficit. They will spend it. They are like crack addicts.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You don't understand California politicians very well. The rate will not drop nor will the deficit. They will spend it. They are like crack addicts.
So why are California politicians more resistant to getting rid of 13 than the public at large?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM

249 posts, read 194,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't even know why you guys are arguing about this. If you take one look at the budget the fact those are not the areas that are killing California and frankly you are both somewhat correct but then again the state has a much higherly cost of living so it's justified.

California is losing private sector jobs due to regulations and costs of operating in the state.
Wealthier people are changing their state of residence to save on taxes. (and tax leakage is around 8% maybe more with the "illegal economy")
Medical costs and participation skyrocketing.
Prison costs, especially medical are skyrocketing.

K-12 education is the same rough % of budget that it was 45 years ago as are most of the other services.

You want to fix CA's budget problems you have to fix attact the items listed above.
That's why I was arguing about it since they are not the areas that are killing CA. California is loosing jobs not solely due to regulations, but also as part of the national trend of decreasing manufacturing. Let's not also forget high job growth states like Texas typically have a higher percentage of people working for the min. wage or less (9.5% of working Texans were paid either the federal min. wage of less).

One way to mitigate this is to help create a state healthcare program. If the state were to sell insurance, it would be able to under cut insurance prices and thus help lower costs. Of course this assumes solvency (but it would help entice companies to stay in CA or even come to CA).

Prison costs are essentially eating up the tertiary education budget which is bad for the the economy. The UC and CSU system needs to become more affordable in order to maintain a highly educated in state workforce.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
That's why I was arguing about it since they are not the areas that are killing CA. California is loosing jobs not solely due to regulations, but also as part of the national trend of decreasing manufacturing. Let's not also forget high job growth states like Texas typically have a higher percentage of people working for the min. wage or less (9.5% of working Texans were paid either the federal min. wage of less).

One way to mitigate this is to help create a state healthcare program. If the state were to sell insurance, it would be able to under cut insurance prices and thus help lower costs. Of course this assumes solvency (but it would help entice companies to stay in CA or even come to CA).

Prison costs are essentially eating up the tertiary education budget which is bad for the the economy. The UC and CSU system needs to become more affordable in order to maintain a highly educated in state workforce.
i agree about the prison cost.

i disagree that texas is just getting the "low end" jobs. you might want to read this, which breaks down where jobs are going:
The Export Business in California (People and Jobs) | Newgeography.com

california is losing californians, and that shouldn't be happening.

Last edited by floridasandy; 05-14-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:

Why should CA only take over healthcare? Why not ALL of the major industries over there, like Hollywood, Computer Programming, Banking, Property/Car Insurance... they make a bundle of money... right? Or are you looking at your own interest instead of California's?

The UC and CSU system needs to become more "affordable"... that sounds idiotic considering that in-state tuition a these colleges are lower than low... they are already way more affordable then they should be and the reason is because they are subsidized by the residents...... Do you see the number of students at these colleges? Why would anyone say "maintain" an educated workforce when the these colleges are bulging by the number of students they have... they actually turn away students because there are too many...

Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

Great discussion. A few comments.

1) State run insurance is a dangerous game. It gets politically entrenched and often results in more expense (beauracracy etc etc) than for-profit companies that make profit margins of a few %. You probably haven't heard of it yet but FL is sitting on a 40+ Billion time bomb because of their states venture into homeowners insurance where they are FKING the poor to subsidize the rich....but have just been damn lucky not to have a bad hurricane season yet. Remember this post please....it's going to happen in the next 10 years or less to a high level of probability. If you want something closer to home, read up on CA's workers comp fund.

2) Agree on the prison thing.

3) Everyone is losing manufacturing jobs but lets face it, CA is damn expensive. I've read articles (and with your background you have to have heard these) that some places have suggested loosening residency requirements because firemen, police etc. cannot afford to live in some of the areas.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i agree about the prison cost.

i disagree that texas is just getting the "low end" jobs. you might want to read this:
The Export Business in California (People and Jobs) | Newgeography.com

california is losing californians, and that shouldn't be happening. (only new york has lost more residents)

According to the BLS it is tied with Mississippi for having the highest percentage of low wage jobs in the nation. The number of min. wage jobs rose from 221,000 to 550,000 from 2007 to 2010.

In Texas, the average hourly wage is $11.20 vs. the national average of $12.50.

It is not just getting low wage jobs, but it is getting mostly low wage jobs.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Why should CA only take over healthcare? Why not ALL of the major industries over there, like Hollywood, Computer Programming, Banking, Property/Car Insurance... they make a bundle of money... right? Or are you looking at your own interest instead of California's?

The UC and CSU system needs to become more "affordable"... that sounds idiotic considering that in-state tuition a these colleges are lower than low... they are already way more affordable then they should be and the reason is because they are subsidized by the residents...... Do you see the number of students at these colleges? Why would anyone say "maintain" an educated workforce when the these colleges are bulging by the number of students they have... they actually turn away students because there are too many...
What? I think that essentially addressing the problem of high insurance costs head on would be the best bet. That's all. I think that allowing competition to drive healthcare, which is part of the reason companies are retreating the US, will enable us to have a global edge. What interest do I have? I live in Seoul.

WHAT?! The UC system is the most expensive public university system in the nation. I went to a UC school. I know the tuition quite well. CSU is relatively cheap, but it is experiencing some of the fastest rate hikes out of public schools. Not maintaining an affordable public university system (well, we've lost that) is absurd and detrimental in MANY ways. For starters it really handicaps those wanting to become middle class. Not to mention it truly handicaps those that want to go into lower wage professions that are needed (social work or education). I don't think you understand the facts concerning higher education in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies