Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

baltimoresun.com - Classroom Connections: Archives

Thousands expected to back 6 black teens | IndyStar.com

6abc.com: 6abc.com National and World Headlines

What are your views?

Apparently, this was indeed provoked by white folks....but in the end, what it comes down to is, you don't lift a hand and gang up on a guy and almost beat him to death.

Now I understand, if it's true, the white boys held a gun at a party to the black boys....and nothing was done..but in the end, six black kids, jumped one of those white kids and beat him pretty badly.

All the kids were wrong, all of them...but, you don't beat up a kid for hanging ropes from a tree or talking racial slurs....that, is sticks and stones....and has to be perceived that way....

I fear, no judge is going to want to hand down a sentence on these kids....for fear of a riot. This is not right...this only sends a message that Crime Does Pay.

I don't understand why ministers all over the country are not telling their church members that this whole thing is wrong....

Parents should be talking to their kids....what I'm wondering is this....and please correct me if I'm wrong....but if there were no racial tensions, in the homes of these kids, do you believe they would have gotten involved in something so trivial...now look, and it's the adults that are picketing...what message is this sending to our kids....?????

I cannot believe that ministers all over the world are not telling their members that this is wrong...it's in the hands of the law now....so let them figure it out.....?????

What do you all think?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:46 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
I agree. What happen to the old days of one on one. Not that fighting is right, but what exactly did the six kids think was going to happen if they all beat up one kid. They are doing this at my sons school as well. 5-6 kids jumping one. It's just wrong. People seemed scared to really say something for fear of not being PC.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I agree. What happen to the old days of one on one. Not that fighting is right, but what exactly did the six kids think was going to happen if they all beat up one kid. They are doing this at my sons school as well. 5-6 kids jumping one. It's just wrong. People seemed scared to really say something for fear of not being PC.

Its the old concept of gangs....and parents everywhere should be telling their kids, no matter what color they are, no matter what race...religion, etc...to not get involved in something like this...yanno?

These kids are supposed to be young adults, and believe me, I am not advocating what the kids did with the ropes and the gun...but you can't solve one crime with another...what they should have been doing is logging every event, reporting it to police and school athorities and letting them handle it...by talking to the kids parents. Especially with cell phones today and the ability to take videos of things....

Crime doesn't pay, and if these kids get off, then it will send a message that crime DOES Pay....

I think the parents and churches should all get together on this and teach their kids respect and some plain old fashioned compassion, respect and tollerance for others. Not to mention, these kids are young adults now....sheesh...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Its the old concept of gangs....and parents everywhere should be telling their kids, no matter what color they are, no matter what race...religion, etc...to not get involved in something like this...yanno?

These kids are supposed to be young adults, and believe me, I am not advocating what the kids did with the ropes and the gun...but you can't solve one crime with another...what they should have been doing is logging every event, reporting it to police and school athorities and letting them handle it...by talking to the kids parents. Especially with cell phones today and the ability to take videos of things....

Crime doesn't pay, and if these kids get off, then it will send a message that crime DOES Pay....

I think the parents and churches should all get together on this and teach their kids respect and some plain old fashioned compassion, respect and tollerance for others. Not to mention, these kids are young adults now....sheesh...

I know, gangs can have such a pull on kids. My son is small for his age and he hangs with the kids that accepts him, which hapens to be kids I dont approve of. Smoking skipping school. He goes to school with alot of hispanic kids, bigger than him, they have tried to jump him. So he latches on to the kids that will watch his back. Sad. I have to watch him like a hawk and talk till I am blue in the face, but it doesnt seem to be getting through to him.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I know, gangs can have such a pull on kids. My son is small for his age and he hangs with the kids that accepts him, which hapens to be kids I dont approve of. Smoking skipping school. He goes to school with alot of hispanic kids, bigger than him, they have tried to jump him. So he latches on to the kids that will watch his back. Sad. I have to watch him like a hawk and talk till I am blue in the face, but it doesnt seem to be getting through to him.

How old is your son? If you don't mind me asking...reason being, you ought to try to somehow get control of this and not allow him to get involved with these kids....your the parent, and if you don't take control now, I fear, when he gets older, he will adopt this as life...yanno?

Have you thought about what to do about it?

Hugs
Creme

Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
How old is your son? If you don't mind me asking...reason being, you ought to try to somehow get control of this and not allow him to get involved with these kids....your the parent, and if you don't take control now, I fear, when he gets older, he will adopt this as life...yanno?

Have you thought about what to do about it?

Hugs
Creme
He is 14. We are at wits end. He is smarter than he is acting. Grounding doesnt work. We are thinking an intervention school maybe what he needs. But those cost more a year than college. I dont know if it is the school or neighborhood ( we just moved here two months ago) when all this started. Other than babysitting him at school and following him there I dont know how to keep him from these kids.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:42 AM

537 posts, read 441,466 times
When all of the supposed race people fight for the injustices that happen to whites and Hispanics and others then I will worry about them.

I hate what happened to those poor boys but assault is not the an swer. I will tell you though that the race baiters are getting on my nerves because all they do is make things worse, in my opinion that is. The thing was way overboard and there looked to be race problems but it doesn't seem to bother many of these blacks when they are being ethnically cleansed from their neighborhoods in California by the Hispanics. Why aren't they up in arms about that? Why is it only the whites who can be supposed racists? There are plenty of racists in every race to go around.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
1. They are not protesting about the kids being sentenced - they are protesting because of the disparity between the punishment (not) given to the white students and kids, and that given to the black students.

2. They are also protesting as to the severity of the charges given to the black students, considering the situation. I mean, they've already reduced that charges once - what does that tell you about the initial charges?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
1. They are not protesting about the kids being sentenced - they are protesting because of the disparity between the punishment (not) given to the white students and kids, and that given to the black students.
For a different offense - apples and oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
2. They are also protesting as to the severity of the charges given to the black students, considering the situation. I mean, they've already reduced that charges once - what does that tell you about the initial charges?
Not much, charges are frequently reduced and for a variety of reasons. The fact that they've been reduced and people are still having protests might tell us something about the people protesting though.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
He is 14. We are at wits end. He is smarter than he is acting. Grounding doesnt work. We are thinking an intervention school maybe what he needs. But those cost more a year than college. I dont know if it is the school or neighborhood ( we just moved here two months ago) when all this started. Other than babysitting him at school and following him there I dont know how to keep him from these kids.
I was lucky in having a son that was easy to raise, though very strict, the kids say, now, they were afraid of me, then ( I was military strict) our home was the home they were always at...but I was tough...I suppose I'm glad now, that I was tough....my son's father was very wealthy, and I couldn't chance the idea of a custody battle, and I knew if my son got in trouble, there would be one. Therefore, I cannot advise you on his, except to get as much information on it, as quickly as you can, so you can take control.

My thoughts are with you....

Hugs Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies