Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,598,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Why would he be arrested? What is illegal about that?
It certainly had the possibility of inciting violence. It could have been seen a threat to the people that were protesting. I don't know the specifics.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,466,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I watched a CNN story (Anderson Cooper 360) last night where Soledad O'Brien interviewed a prosecutor in relation to the Jena 6 case. The interview was absolutely disgusting, practically accusing the case as being racist, and juxtaposition the noose story with the beating, making it sound as though the white kid who was beaten had been one of the three who were found to throw the nooses over the tree branch. She kept pushing him to say the prosecution was unfair and racist from his perspective.

A real hatchet job. CNN is a disgrace.
I also like the 84.9% white to the 12% black why did she not say the rest of the population?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,187,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Why would he be arrested? What is illegal about that?
The news said he was arrested for a DUI and (possibly) inciting a riot. (I don't remember because I just overheard it -- I wasn't really listening to the news.)

Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,483,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I'm sure my following statements will make some question my "blackness" but at first I was with it because I thought they were rallying behind the fact that the charges were dropped but the guy is still sitting in jail. Now, it seems to have snowballed into this huge thing where they don't want him to be charged AT ALL. I don't agree with that.

I'd rather see everybody coming together and rallying behind Mike Vick (Personally, I feel he should not serve a second of jail time but that's another thread). But making road trips and protesting for a case where bottom line, another human being was assaulted? I can't get with it.
The reason people don't want him charged at all is because the white kids weren't charged at all. Everybody claims they want equality, that's equal.

Also, why is everybody especially the original poster characterizing the black kids as a gang and dismissing the white kids as individual perpetrators. The white kids were the ones with guns and a history of jumping, threatning, and intimidating black kids.

I don't beleive in using violence to combat ignorance but if people no matter what the race are going to threaten you with guns repeatedly and face NO police or school scrutiny then you gotta do what you gotta do. That's a sad but true and honest statement.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,598,905 times
I agree that people that threaten with guns etc. should go to jail. However, for that to happen you have to report it. If your response is to go beat them up and claim after the fact that he pulled a gun three days ago, you're not going to get much sympathy from the police.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
This really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
ditto..............

Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,682,211 times
The black community doesn't want justice in this case, they want preferential treatment. They want to give Bell a free pass for committing an extremely violent felony.

As far as the white kids go, they have been held accountable for their actions. It's just Bell committed a much more egregious act and he should pay for it with his freedom. You don't throw the book at someone who doesn't deserve it. Bell deserves it. He had several bites at Juvie Court. This crime gets him a shot at the big time.

If six white students come up behind a black student and knock him down and stomp him unconscious in the same way Bell and his crew stomped Barker, then they should go to prison as well.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,466,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Local Story involving a MLK marcher (http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_092007_jena_martin_luther_king.f3bde43d .html - broken link)

And here's something he says that intrigues me:

Did he just... denounce the actions of the boys?! LE GASP!
I believe he did!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I agree that people that threaten with guns etc. should go to jail. However, for that to happen you have to report it. If your response is to go beat them up and claim after the fact that he pulled a gun three days ago, you're not going to get much sympathy from the police.
Report it to who? A police department that doesn't care about you? A DA that will charge you with attempt murder (for a fight)when the victim was partying the night after the fight. A school that allows nooses to be hung and segregated trees. I know it's foreign for some to understand how it feels to have no where to turn but it's a very frustrating and helpless feeling. Im not an advocate of violence but I believe in protecting yourself and if that fight was meant to send a message than hey, it got sent. I'm glad this conversation is occurring because so many (on this forum) believe race relations are just great, but they aren't.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,562,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The black community doesn't want justice in this case, they want preferential treatment. They want to give Bell a free pass for committing an extremely violent felony.

As far as the white kids go, they have been held accountable for their actions. It's just Bell committed a much more egregious act and he should pay for it with his freedom. You don't throw the book at someone who doesn't deserve it. Bell deserves it. He had several bites at Juvie Court. This crime gets him a shot at the big time.

If six white students come up behind a black student and knock him down and stomp him unconscious in the same way Bell and his crew stomped Barker, then they should go to prison as well.
The key sentence being 'as far as the white kids go, they have been held accountable'. Ppl think that both are equally egregious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies