Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to understand what gays want because no one has been crystal clear on this.

Do they want the right to be married in a church or just civil unions?

If they do want to be married in the church, do they want states to force churches to marry them?

Do they want states to decide or do they want it to be a federal law?

I'm just trying to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I'm just trying to understand what gays want because no one has been crystal clear on this.

Do they want the right to be married in a church or just civil unions?

If they do want to be married in the church, do they want states to force churches to marry them?

Do they want states to decide or do they want it to be a federal law?

I'm just trying to understand.
Really? After the hundreds of threads on this you're still unclear?

Us gays simply want equal access to and equal treatment under the civil, secular, marriage laws of the US and its several states. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Churches or religion or religious marriages. All I want is to be able to go down to the courthouse, contract a civil marriage with the man I love, and then exercise the same marriage rights a heterosexual couple can.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Us gays simply want equal access to and equal treatment under the civil, secular, marriage laws of the US and its several states. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Churches or religion or religious marriages.
^^^This.
It has nothing to to do with religion.
Its equality for all under the law.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times
Quote:

Us gays simply want equal access to and equal treatment under the civil, secular, marriage laws of the US and its several states. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Churches or religion or religious marriages. All I want is to be able to go down to the courthouse, contract a civil marriage with the man I love, and then exercise the same marriage rights a heterosexual couple can.
Really. Cause there are different gays who want different things and then it gets confusing.

But if that's what you want then I am absolutely for that.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Us gays simply want equal access to and equal treatment under the civil, secular, marriage laws of the US and its several states.
You already have that. What you want are special rights.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Really. Cause there are different gays who want different things and then it gets confusing.
Really? I know a LOT of gay people, and I haven't come across any that want something different than that.

Sure, some gay people want to also get married in a church (most gays in the US are Christian), but they already belong to churches that are willing to preform religious gay marriages.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You already have that.
Not at all. Stop lying.

Quote:
What you want are special rights.
Name 7 special rights I want, under the umbrella of "gay marriage," that heterosexual couples would not be given access to?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,010 times
Quote:
You already have that. What you want are special rights.

What special rights? To marry the person they love? Is THAT the "special right" you speak of?

A same sex couple can not get married in Ohio(My State) and to me, THAT is discrimination.

NO ONE is saying anything about forcing Churches to marry same sex couples, but those that WILL, should be allowed to, as well as the court house.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Not at all. Stop lying.

Name 7 special rights I want that under the umbrella of "gay marriage" that heterosexual couples would not be given access to?
Why specifically "7"?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Why specifically "7"?
I just picked a number. 7 should be easy. If it's too hard, how about 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies