Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeNomad View Post
I wish people could realize not everything is republican vs democrat. They are all politicians they don't give a crap about us. Its a rich elitist vs the people thing. Once people realize that we might get somewhere.
The Public school competition brainwashing infiltrates all levels of daily life in America. If you try to get out of it, you will be called a Tin Foil hatter, or worse.

Assimilation is inevitable, resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Obama signed it.

Why isn't he a jack@ss in your eyes too?
Where did I say he wasn't ANYONE that votes against freedom and the constitution is a jackass, including the president.

From the vote totals, we can see that the overwhelming amount of those in the GOP/tea party hate freedom, the constitution and want huge government, and half of the dems. This should be something everyone should think good and hard about, especially the GOP/tea party supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because the GOP hates Obama, ergo, Obama must be one of the good guys in Tempes's world (in addition that he only sees 2 colors, red and blue). Remember a lot of prominent liberal groups that were anti-Bush were suddenly quiet after Obama's inauguration, despite continuing, and expanding, ALL of the Bush Doctrine. Remember, Republicans drop daisy cutters, Democrats drop love bombs.
LOL the far right likes to spread garbage that those on the left are like them that just blindly agree with whatever their leaders tell them, or that
"their" side is always right, the other side is always wrong, and when they do screw up, just twist, deflect, and somehow make it into the other side is wrong like the GOP trolls do.

Democrats know how to do something the wing goons are completely incapable of doing, manning up and admitting when they are wrong.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama specifically requested the "indefinite detention" language. Something the far left continues to refuse to recognize.
What? Where in the heck did you get that from?

From the signing statement, a quote from your President

... the bill may not be construed to affect any "existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States." My Administration strongly supported the inclusion of these limitations in order to make clear beyond doubt that the legislation does nothing more than confirm authorities that the Federal courts have recognized as lawful under the 2001 AUMF. Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation. My Administration will interpret section 1021 in a manner that ensures that any detention it authorizes complies with the Constitution, the laws of war, and all other applicable law.

You are completely wrong in your assumption.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
What? Where in the heck did you get that from?

From the signing statement, a quote from your President

... the bill may not be construed to affect any "existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States." My Administration strongly supported the inclusion of these limitations in order to make clear beyond doubt that the legislation does nothing more than confirm authorities that the Federal courts have recognized as lawful under the 2001 AUMF. Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation. My Administration will interpret section 1021 in a manner that ensures that any detention it authorizes complies with the Constitution, the laws of war, and all other applicable law.

You are completely wrong in your assumption.
Obama's signing statement is meaningless.

You are incorrect, I make no assumption, I made a factual statement. How many times do I need to post Sen. Levin's testimony before you actually pay attention?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ARk...layer_embedded

Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
LOL the far right likes to spread garbage that those on the left are like them that just blindly agree with whatever their leaders tell them, or that
"their" side is always right, the other side is always wrong, and when they do screw up, just twist, deflect, and somehow make it into the other side is wrong like the GOP trolls do.

Democrats know how to do something the wing goons are completely incapable of doing, manning up and admitting when they are wrong.
This is why I'm a independent. Life is not about Republican vs. Democrat. I'm not black and white in my thinking, and I side with no one. I'm my own side, because everybody lies at some point.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama's signing statement is meaningless.

You are incorrect, I make no assumption, I made a factual statement. How many times do I need to post Sen. Levin's testimony before you actually pay attention?

So, what you are saying is that the guy who signs it is meaningless and some Senator is? What a crock. Your President went out of his way include, in his signing statement, exactly the opposite of your assumption. Its right there, take off the blinders. To your knowledge has the President not lived up to his signing statement? You know the answer to that. Until the President does not follow his signing statement you got nothing. And I am the one who is not paying attention? Wow.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:07 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I didn't say all of the republicans voted for it. The overwhelming amount did, and the DINOs did as well.

This also shows without a doubt the complete hypocrisy of the tea party, and verifying what many have been saying all along that the tea party is nothing but the huge government, huge spending, radical right wing branch of the GOP.

The vote total was: GOP 190 for huge government and anti-freedom, 43 against

The democrats: 93 for huge government and anti-freedom, 93 against.

H.R. 1540: National Defense Authorization Act for ... (On the Conference Report) -- GovTrack.us
Stay with us, you posted the HOUSE vote, NOT the senate vote as I did.

The democratic held SENATE voted overwhelmingly to pass this, (you do know that just because it passes the house, the senate still vote's, right...ah never mind) and all but 2 dems voted for this, and 10 repubs voted against.....

That was a great attempt a deflection, but in the end, no matter who voted in the House, in this instance, it was all about the Senate DEMS passing this bill....

Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

The democratic held SENATE voted overwhelmingly to pass this, (you do know that just because it passes the house, the senate still vote's, right...ah never mind) and all but 2 dems voted for this, and 10 repubs voted against.....

That was a great attempt a deflection, but in the end, no matter who voted in the House, in this instance, it was all about the Senate DEMS passing this bill....
You're not going to get a response from him other than how Republicans are facsists and how this is all Republicans' fault, yadda, yadda, yadda, no matter how Democrats voted or he will even try to deny that Democrats voted how they did. It gets old, doesn't it?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Here is an excerpt from the Presidents signing statement attached to this bill

Pretty much is the complete opposite of the OP's premise. No, not pretty much, it is the complete opposite of what you are trying to sell. The President clearly states that his administration will not do what you say it will.
And you do understand the attage "DO as I say , not as I do !" ?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
You're right, because you didn't post the house results.

Quote:
The democratic held SENATE voted overwhelmingly to pass this, (you do know that just because it passes the house, the senate still vote's, right...ah never mind) and all but 2 dems voted for this, and 10 repubs voted against.....That was a great attempt a deflection, but in the end, no matter who voted in the House, in this instance, it was all about the Senate DEMS passing this bill....
What are you talking about? All but three from each side voted for anti-freedom.

S. 1867: National Defense Authorization Act for ... (On Passage of the Bill) -- GovTrack.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You're not going to get a response from him other than how Republicans are facsists and how this is all Republicans' fault, yadda, yadda, yadda, no matter how Democrats voted or he will even try to deny that Democrats voted how they did. It gets old, doesn't it?
More made up garbage. Like I stated before, EVERYONE that supported this bill is wrong including the president. Also pointing out the fact of the tea party's complete hypocrisy and that those whom overwhelmingly supported it, are not surprisingly the tea party/GOP.

Will either of you man up and admit the GOP is wrong and against freedom? Or do you approve of their overwhelming support for huge government and against the constitution?

Last edited by TempesT68; 05-20-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies