Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

How has the VA changed since Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
How has the VA changed since Trump?
Well naturally it's much more evil now.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:51 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Of course pre existing conditions should be covered.
Fine. So go ahead and start a company that covers them.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:57 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Why not? Supply and demand!
Sounds good.

So why don't you do a survey to see how many people would like to pay $2,000/month (or whatever the figure comes to) to be able to join a company that will cover pre-existing conditions?

Then work with whatever experts you believe could give you good answers, to figure out once and for all how much each person should pay in premiums so that all pre-existing conditions would be covered and the company would be able to pay its employees reasonable wages and it wouldn't go bankrupt.

Let us know:

1.) What price did you work out for the premiums?
2.) How many people did you ask, giving them the price from (1) above?
3.) How many said, "Sure, here's my check for the first month"
4.) How many said, "At those prices? No, thank you!"
5.) All other replies.

It would be interesting to find out how big the "demand" for such a company's policies at such a price, really is.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:06 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Ok, so let's have another example.
I am in the market for a a used convertible.
I find one, and I buy it, along with purchasing insurance.

The top on the car was terrible, but the rest was great, so I buy the car..
A month after buying the insurance, I put in a claim for the terrible top.
The insurance does not want to pay to replace the top, because it was like that before I bought the insurance.
Why should the insurance company pay to replace a top that was in terrible condition before I even insured the car?

Same goes for pre existing condition when people apply for health insurance.
Why should an insurance company have to pay for a health condition you had before getting the insurance?
You can live without the car. You can't live without your body.
You can choose your car. You can't choose your body.
You might never get a car accident (and most people never got into it). You will get sick.

Simple as that.

On another hand, we can try it.
Have no money and got sick? Let's just shoot the unlucky one. That's effectively what it is without covering pre-existing conditions.

Overall society health will be much better, only rich will survive for a long time, most other folks will either die of live till 40yo max, giving the way only to an absolutely healthy ones.

Brave new world, how wonderful it'll be!

Although Nazi in Germany tried exactly this approach. They were highly inspired by the USA in that time, just took it a little bit further - just tiny little bit. I guess you like the result?

Old 08-28-2020, 11:18 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,192 times
The main, real problem is that health care in this country is not a health care - it is health business.

For those who think that this is normal situation, I suggest to go further and apply this principle to everything.
Firefighters should cover only those who can afford their fees - everybody else should just deal with fire themselves.
Police should protect only those who can afford their fees - everybody else should just deal with thugs themselves.
Army should protect only those who can afford their fees - everybody else should be opened up for any country to conquer them.

Get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security etc - they are not needed.

No taxes to pay, everybody happy.

What a lovely picture!

Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
That is unrealistic.
Like I said earlier, the only way pre existing conditions would be insured is, if the government became the insurance company.

Demanding that private business take existing conditions for patients can never happen.
It’s easier for you to have the attitude that you do than it is for some people. You’re on Medicare, and you can afford what Medicare doesn’t cover.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:53 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Sounds good.

So why don't you do a survey to see how many people would like to pay $2,000/month (or whatever the figure comes to) to be able to join a company that will cover pre-existing conditions?

Then work with whatever experts you believe could give you good answers, to figure out once and for all how much each person should pay in premiums so that all pre-existing conditions would be covered and the company would be able to pay its employees reasonable wages and it wouldn't go bankrupt.

Let us know:

1.) What price did you work out for the premiums?
2.) How many people did you ask, giving them the price from (1) above?
3.) How many said, "Sure, here's my check for the first month"
4.) How many said, "At those prices? No, thank you!"
5.) All other replies.

It would be interesting to find out how big the "demand" for such a company's policies at such a price, really is.
Well, this is the point. What I can afford, many cannot.
And as covering pre-existing is obviously a loss leader for any insurance company, only the rich or those subsidized could afford the HC that they need. That would be your demand. And the broad result being the haves and the have nots with HC.

This is the core idea, where we have to invent centrally created and supported social programs. Where the private sector fears to tread, as it cannot profit.

But IMO we don't want to go down the path of all gov't owned and gov't employed. Like a massive VA system, with dubious changes during Trump's administration.

IMO Medicare works quite well. Where the HC is centrally administered but by and large privately delivered.

I still like Hillary's plan to lower the Medicare age to 55-60, and I think Biden too.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:43 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
The product that is "health insurance" that we have today isn't really insurance, it's cost sharing. We'd probably be better off coming up with a new name for it.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:50 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
One illness....no ins, would wipe your whole life savings out, and lose your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies