Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Hahahaha. Really? You're attacking Obama for his usage of figurative language?
You actually think the majority of the posters on this thread know what a figurative statement is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,254 times
My god are complex language and figurative thought processes truly incomprehensible to you literalist and badly educated Reps?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,113,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
He said 57 states with one to go since his staff wouldn't let him go to Alaska and Hawaii. Here he is and it is just the same as I heard it way back then.

Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States - YouTube
Did you not see earlier when I typed out this audio? And you're exactly right - he mentioned the 57 states he'd already visited, 1 left to go, and the 2 he wasn't going to make it to. 57+1+2=60 states he referenced.

I was responding to a poster who claimed Obama thought the US had 57 states. How can Obama believe there are 57 states when in his statement he refers to 60??? Even when Obama does gaffe, Republicans can't report it correctly.

Last edited by hammertime33; 05-25-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
And for sure he didn't mean to say my sons, just my daughters. I wonder just how his brain works with the teleprompters there and managing to sneak in those words. Now no lefty here has heard him say my sons but he sure did say that. The best way to avoid hearing him say those things is like the two left leaners who talked about not opening the link because it wasn't Kos or MM.
I certainly heard him say sons; it's what he meant to say. He didn't misspeak here. It's figurative language - it's a rhetorical style. Look at his quotes:

• "I want women to control their own health choices just like I want my daughters to have the same economics opportunities as my sons."
• "The first bill I signed... a simple proposition: equal pay for equal work. I don't want my daughters treated differently than my sons."

He's making a comparison between the treatment of men and women. Are you suggesting he mean to say daughters instead of sons and that his quotes meant to read: "I want women to control their own health choices just like I want my daughters to have the same economic opportunities as my daughters" and "equal pay for equal work. I don't want my daughters treated differently than my daughters"?

I use the same figurative language sometimes when I talk about gay marriage. I'll say things like "Gay couples deserve the rights of marriage. My husband shouldn't be denied a spousal green card, he shouldn't be denied access to the base commissary, he shouldn't be barred from suing for wrongful death should I be murdered, he shouldn't be ineligible from receiving my social security survivor benefits, all just because we are gay." I say that even though I'm single and have no husband. It's personalizing a general point; a way of getting people to think about an argument in terms of how it effects real people in their actual lives.

Last edited by hammertime33; 05-25-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You actually think the majority of the posters on this thread know what a figurative statement is?
I guess in this case it must be something that supporters can explain away.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
My god are complex language and figurative thought processes truly incomprehensible to you literalist and badly educated Reps?

Are you saying he did say those words and didn't mean them, literally? Maybe you are trying to defend him because you are a supporter. He did say the words and some of those here claimed that he didn't say them. HOwever they were people who admit to not listening or watching anything that doesn't come from Kos or HuffPo. And here you are admitting to seeing all of that link.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Did you not see earlier when I typed out this audio? And you're exactly right - he mentioned the 57 states he'd already visited, 1 left to go, and the 2 he wasn't going to make it to. 57+1+2=60 states he referenced.

I was responding to a poster who claimed Obama thought the US had 57 states. How can Obama believe there are 57 states when in his statement he refers to 60??? Even when Obama does gaffe, Republicans can't report it correctly.
I reported it just as he said it. I heard it many times back then by listening to Fox all day long and they played that one over and over. He did not say sixty though, you just applied first grade math to his words. Anyway we did agree on something, finally.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Are you saying he did say those words and didn't mean them, literally? Maybe you are trying to defend him because you are a supporter. He did say the words and some of those here claimed that he didn't say them. HOwever they were people who admit to not listening or watching anything that doesn't come from Kos or HuffPo. And here you are admitting to seeing all of that link.
Huh? Not a single person on here is claiming that he didn't "sons." He did say it, and he meant to say it.

And yes, we're saying that he didn't mean it literally. That's what figurative language is.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I certainly heard him say sons; it's what he meant to say. He didn't misspeak here. It's figurative language - it's a rhetorical style. Look at his quotes:

• "I want women to control their own health choices just like I want my daughters to have the same economics opportunities as my sons."
• "The first bill I signed... a simple proposition: equal pay for equal work. I don't want my daughters treated differently than my sons."

He's making a comparison between the treatment of men and women. Are you suggesting he mean to say daughters instead of sons and that his quotes meant to read: "I want women to control their own health choices just like I want my daughters to have the same economic opportunities as my daughters" and "equal pay for equal work. I don't want my daughters treated differently than my daughters"?

I use the same figurative language sometimes when I talk about gay marriage. I'll say things like "Gay couples deserve the rights of marriage. My husband shouldn't be denied a spousal green card, he shouldn't be denied access to the base commissary, he shouldn't be barred from suing for wrongful death should I be murdered, he shouldn't be ineligible from receiving my social security survivor benefits, all just because we are gay." I say that even though I'm single and have no husband. It's personalizing a general point; a way of getting people to think about an argument in terms of how it effects real people in their actual lives.
He ran that speech through too many places without any mention of sons and the article mentioned many of those in which sons didn't come out. I think he needs to investigate his teleprompter operators a bit closer.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Obama Talks About His Sons

I was not aware he had any sons, only two daughters... That was news to me! And maybe Michelle too!!!
Please, my gawdz, no... not a bunch of little martins skulking around.

If I had a son he'd be just like Phillip Phillips... WGWG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies