Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Gay men/women are NOT denied any rights that straight men/women have..
Gay couples, however, are denied the same rights that straight couples are.

Hence the equal rights argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
civil rights = equal rights
All men/woman have the same rights..
A gay man can marry a woman, can't marry a man
a straight man can marry a woman, can't marry a man.
same right = equal rights.

I personally do NOT oppose same sex marriage, I simply oppose the comparison to equal rights.. apples do not equal oranges.
And at one time whites had the same rights as blacks, to marry only within their race. Why were those laws changed by the SCOTUS?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Um..Black people can't hide their Blackness.
To know if someone is gay or not wouldn't they need to tell you ?
Not always no, just like there are varying degrees of "blackness". Some gays are extremely obvious, others you would absolutely never know unless they told you. Lots of blacks are quite obvious, but mixed race blacks (Mariah Carey, Halle Berry, etc.) you likely wouldn't know.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:

I personally do NOT oppose same sex marriage, I simply oppose the comparison to equal rights.. apples do not equal oranges.
This argument is so patently stupid it's not even used in the courts by the attorneys fighting against gay marriage.

You do realize the same argument was used for interracial marriage right? Blacks could marry blacks, but not whites. Whites could marry whites, but not blacks.

No discrimination, equal rights, right?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have always felt that way but now I learn that many black ministers who attended the recent get together of the Congressional Black Caucus and the Conference of National Black Churches feel much the same way. Yes, of course, there was probably some editing done but this video shows a high number of black pastors who just don't agree with the attempt to liken the two movements.

Black church leaders: Gay marriage ‘not a civil rights issue’ [VIDEO] | The Daily Caller
Of course homophobia today isn't exactly like what blacks faced in the civil rights era, but it's undeniable that are similarities.

And a bunch of black preachers who don't support gay marriage do NOT speak for the black community.

These preachers can shove it up you know where just like all the other homophobes.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM

180 posts, read 475,182 times
Quote:

Uuum ok...that was a mish mash. I guess you don't know what equal means...remember it means the same...gays deserve the SAME rights just like blacks deserve the SAME rights as whites. I'll await your reply.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,251 times
Quote:
I have always felt that way but now I learn that many black ministers who attended the recent get together of the Congressional Black Caucus and the Conference of National Black Churches feel much the same way. Yes, of course, there was probably some editing done but this video shows a high number of black pastors who just don't agree with the attempt to liken the two movements.

Black church leaders: Gay marriage ‘not a civil rights issue’ [VIDEO] | The Daily Caller
They are entitled to their opinion but I can't help but think its influence by their negative perceptions of homosexuality.

They're wrong it's a civil rights issue.

Civil Rights

Quote:
What is a Civil Right?

A civil right is an enforceable right or privilege, which if interfered with by another gives rise to an action for injury. Examples of civil rights are freedom of speech, press, assembly, the right to vote, freedom from involuntary servitude, and the right to equality in public places. Discrimination occurs when the civil rights of an individual are denied or interfered with because of their membership in a particular group or class. Statutes have been enacted to prevent discrimination based on a persons race, sex, religion, age, previous condition of servitude, physical limitation, national origin and in some instances sexual preference.
I'll let one of the leading figures of the Civil Rights Era of explain it to you.

Rev. Lowery: Equal rights for some, but not all is an ‘oxymoron’ | theGrio

Quote:
Rev. Dr. Joseph Lowery has been “fighting for rights for the powerless, giving a voice to the voiceless,” Rev. Al Sharpton said last night on Politics Nation. Sharpton interviewed Lowery, a civil rights leader who has come to be known as the dean of the Civil Rights movement. The 90-year-old icon said he supports the president’s gay marriage endorsement.

“I don’t think you can say we believe in equal rights for some people but not for others,” Rev. Lowery said. “I think that’s what we call an oxymoron. I think if you believe in equal rights, you have to grant them to all the people.”

The question of whether President Barack Obama’s endorsement of same sex marriage would hurt or aid in his fight for re-election has been gaining attention. The move was seen as a big risk to a primary base of his voters, many of whom are African-Americans, who support gay rights at a lower rate than that of whites.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
We make up the definitions to the words, terms and phases we use so this is meaningless.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Um..Black people can't hide their Blackness.
To know if someone is gay or not wouldn't they need to tell you ?

How do you equate the two being similar ?

Black guy and a White guy come in for a job. You can SEE that one is Black but how do you know the White guy is gay ?

I don't see that civil rights for gays is the same as civil rights for Blacks.
Um...Can't hide your gayness from the discriminating court when you try to marry someone of the same sex sir.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:

I'm sure those pastors will also tell you that there were rights before civil rights. And that all people were free, respected and not discriminated against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies