Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the gay marriage issue equal to the civil rights movement of the '60's?
Yes, discrimination is discrimination, they're going through what our leaders suffered through 23 35.94%
No, gays can vote, drink from the same water fountain, sit anywhere on the bus, sit at the lunch counter. Lifestyle does not equal to skin color 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

Since I have no way of knowing if only black Americans will answer this poll, I ask that the honor code be adhered to. Let your conscience be your guide.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Wow. Another meaningless poll from a conservative here. You didn't even make it a public poll.

Maybe I'll create a poll for gay Americans only. It'll have just as much meaning as yours.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Wow. Another meaningless poll from a conservative here. You didn't even make it a public poll.

Maybe I'll create a poll for gay Americans only. It'll have just as much meaning as yours.
Why is it meaningless? I'm curious to know where they stand on the issue. Me thinks, you doth protesteth too much.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Gays have it much worse.
They make up the smallest minority percentage.
They also have other minorities voting against their rights such as prejudiced Blacks and Hispanics and that is absolutely disgraceful and pathetic.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Gays have it much worse.
They make up the smallest minority percentage.
They also have other minorities voting against their rights such as prejudiced Blacks and Hispanics and that is absolutely disgraceful and pathetic.
I doubt minorities are any more homophobic than whites. Thing is it seems that politics in those communities are controlled by churches (Rev King, Malcolm X Jackson, Sharpton) so that's why it appears they are more homophobic than whites.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Since I have no way of knowing if only black Americans will answer this poll, I ask that the honor code be adhered to. Let your conscience be your guide.
My black mother grew up during the sixties and dealt with segregation. Trust me, from her stories there is nearly NO SIMILARITY of the civil rights struggle with the gay marriage fight. Gays only want the right to marry, blacks wanted the right to eat, learn, sit with, even drink with white folks and not be discriminated against over something they had no control over. At least if your gay you can go the Ted Haggard route and say i aint gay and try to hide it, skin color not so much you can do about it.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
The poll options are pretty limited.
I think there is a similarity in the struggle....

I'm black and I didn't choose to be black.
I'm a lesbian and I didn't choose to be a lesbian.

I know some people see sexual orientation as a choose but I don't see why anyone would choose to live a life where people dislike you simply because you love differently, you pay more in taxes, you are denied protections under the law, it's socially acceptable for the most part to be homophobic but not racist....

I once read an article saying that denying marriage equality is racist.
African american same-sex couples are twice as likely to be raising children and they could stand to benefit more from being protected equally under the law like their married heterosexual counterparts who have children.

Of course I'd like to see less government benefits, privileges, etc become untied to martial status.
You shouldn't be married to do a lot of the things married people can do. It should be available to all Americans.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Why is it meaningless? I'm curious to know where they stand on the issue. Me thinks, you doth protesteth too much.
I am Black and there is no Black position on the issue. Just right wing fringo's trying to stir up conflict between the two groups. Remember some ideology is based on conflict and divisiveness while others are based on unity and diversity. What say ye about diversity?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

How is it meaningless. And your poll would probably be more biased because gays are going through this whole movement now and will make it a bigger deal than it really is. Black people wont have experienced either so they will have less of an opinion.

Im white and did not vote, but i think the black civil rights movement is much different (worse!!!). Gays can find jobs, can drink and eat wherever they want. Gays just cant get married because its not the defenition of marriage (a man and a woman MUST be involved). You cant just change the defenition and say "its not fair!!! Where's our equality?"

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Do mexicans count? We are another minority group commonly labeled as socially conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies