Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the gay marriage issue equal to the civil rights movement of the '60's?
Yes, discrimination is discrimination, they're going through what our leaders suffered through 23 35.94%
No, gays can vote, drink from the same water fountain, sit anywhere on the bus, sit at the lunch counter. Lifestyle does not equal to skin color 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're in denial. When state after state votes against not only same-sex marriage but also civil unions (as your state of Texas did), then no, I'm sorry, things aren't equal.
I think what this previous poster was saying was that the rights that were being fought for in the 60's were different.

As for being black & gay, I often wonder what people think first. Do they have a problem with me because I am black (what they see when they first see me) or when they find out i'm gay.

I'm sorry, but if i'm walking down the street, I will be seen as black first and foremost, no if's and's or but's about that.

This is what I think this poster was trying to say, and its true. This is not to discount the struggles of each.

I dont' know if you are white or not, but do you honestly think that people can look at 2 seperate men walking down the street, one black and one gay and can tell which one is the gay one?

Now I ask the reverse of that question, I bet everone would be able to tell the black man is indeed black. that would require no guessing.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't get it either. One of my theories is that some people trivialize the discrimination that gays have faced in order to convince themselves that they're not anti-gay. Or maybe they believe that by acknowledging the struggle, they're somehow giving up some of their own rights.
I highlighted in red the point I think is right on - its a way to mitigate a guilt they feel inside.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I have been with my partner 26 years...I just want the same security in life that we all pay equally for. sorry I get angry.
WOW Congratulations - to 26 more wonderful years together

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I think what this previous poster was saying was that the rights that were being fought for in the 60's were different.

As for being black & gay, I often wonder what people think first. Do they have a problem with me because I am black (what they see when they first see me) or when they find out i'm gay.

I'm sorry, but if i'm walking down the street, I will be seen as black first and foremost, no if's and's or but's about that.

This is what I think this poster was trying to say, and its true. This is not to discount the struggles of each.

I dont' know if you are white or not, but do you honestly think that people can look at 2 seperate men walking down the street, one black and one gay and can tell which one is the gay one?

Now I ask the reverse of that question, I bet everone would be able to tell the black man is indeed black. that would require no guessing.
I totally understand what you're saying, and yes, I do think you're right that the poster may have just been referring to the over fight for civil rights in the 1960s.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Listen I can't even think straight....let alone sound it...I could not butch up my voice even when my life has depended on it....and had to fight strangers cause they hate them f*****s.Do you realize that a larger percentage of gay teens commit suicide than their straight counterparts.It ain't no picnic...I have been with my partner 26 years...I just want the same security in life that we all pay equally for. sorry I get angry.
If you have been with your partner for 26 years
you should know that that issue has much more to do with our culture than with civil rights.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:31 PM

17 posts, read 19,502 times
"Artsyguy" is bugging. How do you know that "blackandproud is angry. If anything, your angry that things didnt go your way in California. This is one of the reasons why the "gay" community is not getting the respect you think you deserve. It's all about approach. Blacks have died, shed blood, sacrificed and fought against a racist system for centuries to get to where we are. We fought fair and square. So it is the American way for the gay community to do the same. The hetero community owe you nothing, since your commparing yourselves to the black community, earn it! Just like we did!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 19,502 times
It's amazing how people will tell black people to stop whinning and "get over it", but when issues in the white community are at the forefront we should all have empathy and join in. I resent the notion that I am a homophobic because I dont agree with the gay lifestyle. I am not and never will be afraid of the gay community. So I think there needs to be a term defined just for people who only disagree with the gay community but not fear, hate or judge the gay community. If your gay your gay, but please stop insinuating that we hate gays just because we disagree!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharvey View Post
It's amazing how people will tell black people to stop whinning and "get over it", but when issues in the white community are at the forefront we should all have empathy and join in. I resent the notion that I am a homophobic because I dont agree with the gay lifestyle. I am not and never will be afraid of the gay community. So I think there needs to be a term defined just for people who only disagree with the gay community but not fear, hate or judge the gay community. If your gay your gay, but please stop insinuating that we hate gays just because we disagree!
As a gay man, i would never want to force one to capitulate their views on any subject. The only thing i want is fair and equal treatment under the law. Until that time happens, gay people will always fight for their rights that they are entitled to under a nations constitution.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM

297 posts, read 349,201 times
Quote:
"Artsyguy" is bugging. How do you know that "blackandproud is angry. If anything, your angry that things didnt go your way in California. This is one of the reasons why the "gay" community is not getting the respect you think you deserve. It's all about approach. Blacks have died, shed blood, sacrificed and fought against a racist system for centuries to get to where we are. We fought fair and square.

I must have misread my history. I was always under the impression that Dr. King was fighting for equality for all. I missed the part where he stated he was picking and choosing which groups he felt deserved equality.

For the record, as many whites died to end slavery as did blacks. In actuality, a lot more whites than blacks died to end slavery. (600,000 in fact; 350,000 from the North)
I wonder how many of those that died for the abolition of slavery were LGBT? Estimates show that between roughly 5-10% of the U.S. Population is LGBT. So, potentially, 17,500-35,000 gays may have died as well.

Quote:
"So it is the American way for the gay community to do the same. The hetero community owe you nothing, since your commparing yourselves to the black community, earn it! Just like we did!
Again, without the help of sympathetic whites and others who joined the cause, you may very well still be seated in the back of the bus.

Unlike yourself, the majority of LGBT's are seeking EQUALITY FOR ALL, regardless of race, creed, religion, or sexual orientation.

The intent of the ruling classes in most societies has always been to keep the minority groups at each other's throats.

Congratulations! You are now a part of the racist/oppressive segment of society that seeks to suppress minorities that Dr. King and your ancestors fought so hard against.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM

297 posts, read 349,201 times
Quote:
As has been said repeatedly, you are entitled to your opinions. You are not, however, entitled to force your opinions on a group of people by way of denying them equality under the law.

FYI: There are probably at least as many people in the radical right wing extremist movement who feel the exact same way about blacks as you feel about LGBT's, so I wouldn't be too quick to be too haughty. Left to their own devices, you may just find yourself in a lot of trouble one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies