Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the gay marriage issue equal to the civil rights movement of the '60's?
Yes, discrimination is discrimination, they're going through what our leaders suffered through 23 35.94%
No, gays can vote, drink from the same water fountain, sit anywhere on the bus, sit at the lunch counter. Lifestyle does not equal to skin color 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharvey View Post
I resent the notion that I am a homophobic because I dont agree with the gay lifestyle.
Just using the phrase "the gay lifestyle" makes a person sound anti-gay.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
has no one ever heard of PASSING?

there are books on the topic. passing refers to blacks who looked white and were thus treated preferentially because no one knew they were black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I never said it wasn't painful...what I said was that black people can't discusise their skin color. My friends who are gay do not all act the same way. Some are flamboyant, others are not. You can't just look at them and tell they are gay. People tell me that they didn't know I was gay...they could be lying who knows but its been said.

BUt you can look at a black person and tell that they are black. No one hasw never mistaken me for anything other than black.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Just using the phrase "the gay lifestyle" makes a person sound anti-gay.
Not only that it is frikkin annoying.. like what is it? It's like saying the 'heterosexual' lifestyle... Can any heterosexual ascribe to living the 'heterosexual' lifestyle.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
has no one ever heard of PASSING?

there are books on the topic. passing refers to blacks who looked white and were thus treated preferentially because no one knew they were black.
Not preferentially, those who "passed" slipped easily into white culture because nobody knew they were black. It's not like millions of blacks did that but some did.

Gays could do the same thing and nobody would know they were gay unless they told someone.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Not preferentially, those who "passed" slipped easily into white culture because nobody knew they were black.

Gays could do the same thing and nobody would know they were gay unless they told someone.
How many gay people do you know lol...I got a Tim Horton's coffee this morning and the kid at the drive thru said 'hey there' to me.....I knew instantly

Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
How many gay people do you know lol...I got a Tim Horton's coffee this morning and the kid at the drive thru said 'hey there' to me.....I knew instantly
I have worked in the entertainment industry for over 20 years, how many do you THINK I know?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM

that sounds like a life of wonderful deception. that is detrimental to mental health

yes live a life of lies instead of trying to confront injustice
Quote:
Not preferentially, those who "passed" slipped easily into white culture because nobody knew they were black. It's not like millions of blacks did that but some did.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I have worked in the entertainment industry for over 20 years, how many do you THINK I know?
So than you should know - you know you know lol...

What part of the 'entertainment industry'

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

i think a lot of people posting are too young to remeber the days when gays did see persecution at a greater level.

the battle is now for marriage rights. but it was once also for protection from JOB DISCRIMINATION, in florida and other states, they didnt want the gays to be teachers. its was also for HOUSING RIGHTS. many strides have been made, but full equality does not exist.

the gay movement is like any other civil rights movement.
there are many similiarities. that is undeniable.

progress has been made, protections afforded, but the fight is not over.

hopefully the gays will be equal and protected from tyranny, just like other minority/disenfranchised/targetted peoples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
It's more or less equivalent to the movement against miscegenation laws. A comparison to the entire civil rights movement would be a reach.

In fact, anti-gay marriage arguments bear a striking similarity to anti-miscegenation arguments.

However, gay people certainly do suffer from a level of open hate and bashing that would be considered inconceivable if applied to a racial group.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
that sounds like a life of wonderful deception. that is detrimental to mental health

yes live a life of lies instead of trying to confront injustice
The worst situation must be someone who's black and passing for white who's gay. What could be psychologically worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies