Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the gay marriage issue equal to the civil rights movement of the '60's?
Yes, discrimination is discrimination, they're going through what our leaders suffered through 23 35.94%
No, gays can vote, drink from the same water fountain, sit anywhere on the bus, sit at the lunch counter. Lifestyle does not equal to skin color 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Right, see there you go displacing your anger, you are not angry with gay people, you are angry with white people for spraying your people down with water hoses. Gay people didn't do that to blacks. Gay people just want to be accepted and they want all discrimination to stop. They want acceptance and the ability to succeed without being impeded with political and religious bias and BS. It's that easy to understand. Thanks.

What the f....are you talking about? You bought up what happened in the 60's. If your going to make a correlation between blacks and gays, make sure you GET ALL OF THE INFORMATION out there. I do not have any anger at all just intollerance to BS. I wasn't born then, and never experienced any form of discrimination. Where in the world did i indicated that GAY's were responsible.

If your going to start a thread and try to provide examples, make sure you can back them up. Again, provide the information that i asked or provide some type of arguement. Otherwise you and this thread was a utter and total waste of anyone's time.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Discrimination of today is not in the same form as discrimination of the 50s and 60s. In the 50s it was more about abuse and outright hatred.

Discrimination of today is more subtle and you see it in rudeness and other issues like denial of privileges. etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
What the f....are you talking about? You bought up what happened in the 60's. If your going to make a correlation between blacks and gays, make sure you GET ALL OF THE INFORMATION out there. I do not have any anger at all to intollerance to BS. I wasn't born then, and never experienced any form of discrimination. Where in the world did i indicated that GAY's were responsible.

If your going to start a thread and try to provide examples, make sure you can back them up. Again, provide the information that i asked or provide some type of arguement. Otherwise you and this thread was a utter and total waste of anyone's time.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
just to play devils advocate... mexicans were very much discriminated in CA and TX.

signs often read, No Dogs or Mexicans allowed. Texas had a higher lynching rate for mexicans than any other state or people. and mexicans couldnt marry or go to school with whom they chose.

its kinda funny. desegregation of schools first happened in CA. as did the repeal of antimiscegenation(mixing) laws. in the 1940's. cases invovlving mexicans.

but like a previous poster said, its of no use to try and quantify who suffered more than the other.

the point is that we should all benefit from precedents of equality set before us.

lets use these common threads to help all opressed peoples.

that simple.

the
MIXED
one

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
So i guess in that case, we should vote to give ALL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS amnesty then? After all, it would be WRONG of us to believe otherwise according to you.... right?

By the way, tell me when ANYOTHER race, religion or sex were sprayed with water hoses, hung from a tree and set on fire, denied their civil rights (not marriage). I'll wait for your oh so wise knowledge on the empathy and morals of what Blacks should and should not do.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Has the OP accomplished their mission of divisiveness in this thread? Are various posters arguing thus cementing the seeds of discord. Perhaps this discord can be transferred to PRESIDENT Obama?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I guess they didn't learn empathy when they were segregated and sprayed down by fire hoses.
It would seem that some didn't.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Some people are born rude and narrow minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It would seem that some didn't.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
The gay community was never considered 1/3rd of a man. But a gay black man would be.

How can gay people expect to ride on the coat tails of an entire group of people shut out of society with laws designed to keep them living on the fringes of American culture in a permanent social and economic underclass?

The two "struggles" are not the same and are not equal in any way whatsoever.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The gay community was never considered 1/3rd of a man. But a gay black man would be.

How can gay people expect to ride on the coat tails of an entire group of people shut out of society with laws designed to keep them living on the fringes of American culture in a permanent social and economic underclass?

Why does any of that matter?

As for riding coattails, why depreciate the contribution of the African American struggle for justice and full inclusion into American life? Why shouldn't any group who is excluded from the full promise of American liberty model themselves after a movement which has attempted to bring about the full measure of liberty and justice as enumerated in the Constitution? What does it matter if their experiences are not equal to or greater than those experienced by African Americans? Even if we must stoop to quantifying suffering, the fact that they are excluded from the full rights of citizenship should be more than sufficient cause for garnering the support of those whose suffering was longer and more severe.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,936 times
Whoever voted for the second option I assume is very ignorant. You must not realize that there are some restaurants and locally owned stores that will not cater to gay people.

There isn't really a huge difference between the African-American Civil Rights movement and the LGBT Rights Movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies