Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the gay marriage issue equal to the civil rights movement of the '60's?
Yes, discrimination is discrimination, they're going through what our leaders suffered through 23 35.94%
No, gays can vote, drink from the same water fountain, sit anywhere on the bus, sit at the lunch counter. Lifestyle does not equal to skin color 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I can't say I agree with this...there may be some people that may be able to hide their sexuality and others who may not. When someone sees a black person that can't really be hidden.

This is not to say that the civil rights are not the same for each group. Im just disagreeing with this argument presented in this post.
The intensity of pain for the individuals that suppress their sexuality is every bit as intense as the overt pain experienced because of the colour of one's skin. It may be different, but it is pain!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
The intensity of pain for the individuals that suppress their sexuality is every bit as intense as the overt pain experienced because of the colour of one's skin. It may be different, but it is pain!
My friend Charles, is a total flamer in real life. When he opens his mouth it sounds like a purse just fell out of it. Call his cell phone and listen to his message; total masculine sounding, butch, straight dude. He does it for business purposes. According to you "butching it up" is as painful as innocent blacks being beaten with billy clubs, hosed down with water and having German Shepherds attack them. Gimme a break.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,900 times
Quote:
I never said it wasn't painful...what I said was that black people can't discusise their skin color. My friends who are gay do not all act the same way. Some are flamboyant, others are not. You can't just look at them and tell they are gay. People tell me that they didn't know I was gay...they could be lying who knows but its been said.

BUt you can look at a black person and tell that they are black. No one hasw never mistaken me for anything other than black.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
My friend Charles, is a total flamer in real life. When he opens his mouth it sounds like a purse just fell out of it. Call his cell phone and listen to his message; total masculine sounding, butch, straight dude. He does it for business purposes. According to you "butching it up" is as painful as innocent blacks being beaten with billy clubs, hosed down with water and having German Shepherds attack them. Gimme a break.
Actually you should look up the definition of long term stress and the damage it does to an individual and get back to me. In many ways it's easier for flamers because they have to come to terms with things earlier and just accept it. Its hard for those growing having to suppress it so deeply that it eats at them everyday - it is a different kind of pain but its pain and it eats at you. I'm sorry this pain doesn't involve water cannons and dogs.

I have a gay friend Charles - i'm glad they found him before all the blood exited his body after a botched suicide attempt at 15.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
I guess it's a good sign of how things have changed when Google gives me only 215 hits for "rolling *****s". There's one fun pastime that seems to have gone out of style since the 60's. Or is there new name for it?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Actually you should look up the definition of long term stress and the damage it does to an individual and get back to me. In many ways it's easier for flamers because they have to come to terms with abuse daily. Its hard for those growing up and having to suppress it so deeply that it eats at them everyday - it is a different kind of pain but its pain and it eats at you. I'm sorry this pain doesn't involve water cannons and dogs.

I have a gay friend Charles - i'm glad they found him before all the blood exited his body after a botched suicide attempt at 15.
I can see that to an extent; but my point was that Charles "supresses" his flamerness on his voicemail message and you were equating that to the horrific atrocities that black Americans had to go through during the 60's.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I can see that to an extent; but my point was that Charles "supresses" his flamerness on his voicemail message and you were equating that to the horrific atrocities that black Americans had to go through during the 60's.
I was equating the pain of suppressing one's sexuality - read back at what i said initially and it had NOTHING to do with flamers. GAAAAAWWWWD. And I was talking to someone else honey - always have to stick your gossip girl nose into everything.

I am fascinated by your obsession with water cannons though - have I seen you at Toronto Pride 2008 - the guy with the big cannon?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
I was equating the pain of suppressing one's sexuality - read back at what i said initially and it had NOTHING to do with flamers. GAAAAAWWWWD. And I was talking to someone else honey - always have to stick your gossip girl nose into everything.
Some posters here will insist that gays are just whining, and that society has no problem with them. They refuse to acknowledge problems faced by gays because they are simply anti-gay and they don't want to even have to think about it. They'd LOVE it if we all went back into the closet.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Are you dense? Charles is suppressing his sexuality when he "butches it up" on his voice mail message. Normally, he's very flamboyant, but on his voicemail, he's very masculine and straight sounding. He's suppressing his sexuality, and you were equating that to the civil rights struggle of the 60's. Do you get it now?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Are you dense?
No, but I think you are. You spend a lot of time on this forum telling gay people that their concerns are frivolous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies