Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The Law of Markets says I am Not Qualified. Comcast pulls your credit report. I have 10 year old bad credit (from an abrupt year-long total loss of income) and my debt gets sold and re-sold to debt scavengers who re-age the accounts and keep them on my credit report.
again, how is THIS our problem or that of your neighbors?

As for "re-aging" the account, that is utter BS. after 7 years, your "debt" is "kaput" from your history. no matter how many "companies" buy your debt from other companies, they can't collect from you and nor does it appear on your credit report. the only way it keeps on appearing is you aknowledged that aged debt recently and started to pay on it (then you have to wait until that debt clears).

I suffered from debt problems due to a boyfriend running my credit into the ground (stole credit cards and emptied my bank account) and faced the problems that came with it. Guess what? I didn't blame anyone for it. I cleaned it up ON my own and because of that, I pay less for services that someone with a credit score of less than 200 would pay.

own up to your mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM

226 posts, read 213,683 times
Quote:
Sorry, but as a subprime consumer, they don't want customers like me.

Illegal Credit Check - Cable and Internet

Don't trust Comcast or even try to do business with them. I was moving to a new house and wanted to get quotes for cable Tv and internet. I ended up going to ATT uverse which is much better. To my surprise though I got an alert that Comcast ran a credit check just because I put my information online to try to get a quote for my area. I did not request service, sign up or put any other information. This was confirmed by the customer service representative who said that she was sorry but there was nothing she could do.

Comcast Complaint - Illegal Credit Check - Cable and Internet
It's not because you are poor it's a credit history issue.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
I have the worst internet provider in North America. I'm paying for broadband and getting median speed slower than dialup. My neighbor Chris is getting something like 30x my speed and my data transfer and he's paying less than I am.

Whose consumption is greater, and who should pay more tax?

an actual consumption tax would not even out into mplace on the internet. foods outside of the basics, expensive items and more would be the things being taxed, not the internet.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Ten years ago I had an abrupt total loss of income and was unable to work for a year, from slightly above minimum wage to zero income. All accounts were closed and charged off. I then returned to work at minimum wage.

Debt scavengers buy and re-age the old accounts, keeping them on my credit reports. I have not used credit since then and pay all current bills timely. Where and what is the risk today? (Also, since I am now paying more for internet access than I would be paying if I could get a decent provider, where's the risk? If I am paying x dollars a month now, there's a risk that I won't pay less than x dollars a month?) What should I have done then and what should I do now? I'm currently hovering around the poverty line and am below it after making student loan payments. Am I overspending? Since internet access makes possible some of my income, getting rid of it would not be cost-effective.
How many different accounts are currently delinquent or in collections? Have you whittled that number down any in the last 8-9 years? That should be your focus. If there are 5 accounts in collection, try to get it to 4, an so on.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Also, usually you can still get service from the "better" provider but due to your credit you may have to pay a deposit. Do that.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
I have the worst internet provider in North America. I'm paying for broadband and getting median speed slower than dialup. My neighbor Chris is getting something like 30x my speed and my data transfer and he's paying less than I am.

Whose consumption is greater, and who should pay more tax?
Exercise your right to switch providers.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Tried that, it was unusable. I have an older laptop with an 802.11b wireless card. Gamers with the newest and fastest gear took over the library wifi and I was literally unable to access any websites more resource-intensive than Craigslist and Google.

Also, I troll Craigslist for moneymaking opportunities and I would be crippled if my access were limited to one hour a day at the library - opportunities posted on CL are seized very quickly and the late bird does not get the worm.
oh please..you can pick up a wirless N card for less than the cost of a coffee at starbuck

seems everything with you is an excuse

Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shintao View Post
Hmm, my question here, why should we pay an internet provider for what is already free?

With internet access to millions of people in America, why haven't American PC users banded to together to launch their own satellite and free internet use? Or stick a transponder on their NASA space station?
This is funny. Connecting to the internet is not free. All those wires, switches, line amplifiers, massive servers, etc. are not free.

As for a satellite.....have you ever used satellite internet? It is awful. The speed of light is not fast enough to get good response time through a satellite.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
Comcast....
Do us a small favor and run the following link:

XFINITY Speed Test

And then tell us the results. Also if you have Comcast TV do you have some channels that come up with an error code that starts with a "s"?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirate05 View Post
How many different accounts are currently delinquent or in collections? Have you whittled that number down any in the last 8-9 years? That should be your focus. If there are 5 accounts in collection, try to get it to 4, an so on.

I got rid of the two smallest ones, but I live on a poverty level income and pay half my income on rent so my ability to pay down debt is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies