Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Who exactly are you calling leaches??.....firefighters, cops. teachers? Try doing their job for a week and come back to me with this uneducated response.
Or try calling the Governor when your house is burning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm pretty sure the positions you mention are VOLUNTARY.

They make decent money and their retirement is phenomenal.
Forming 'people' whose name ends in INC. is voluntary too, it's time we stop kissing their collective tookus.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Or try calling the Governor when your house is burning
Why? the government run fire departments have a monopoly on services.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Was flipping through some of the cable political shows tonite. Every Democratic guest mentioned firemen, teachers and cops suggesting more govt workers needed to hired as a stimulus plan. Never heard any other occupation mentioned.

After a while I thought they would break into song like in the Wizard of Oz!
Since when is it the feds job to hire local people?

If a municipality need extra help let them hire and pay for them.

If a state, county, city, etc.can't take care of its own finances, it not up to the rest of us to fix their problems.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd suggest you do some research, a quick search brings this article up from Boston that puts it at $60K there and that doesn't include the health benefits which are usually worth about $15K to $20K. The $110K I quoted is high but the average is going to be far more than the $30K you cited.

What’s a retiring teacher’s pension worth? - Rock The Schoolhouse's blog - Boston.com

So far, you've cited one individual you claim has a $100K teacher retirement, which is no doubt beyond the 3rd standard deviation for retirement benefits. I'm thinking that's more than likely an administrator of some sort and not a teacher. Next, you cite Boston, one of the highest paying districts in America. You're nowhere near the average.

But you could be, if you cared to look into it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
You're nowhere near the average.
Where is you reference for $30K, I can find numerous ones that indicate otherwise.

Quote:
I'm thinking that's more than likely an administrator of some sort and not a teacher.
She headed the English Department at the local high school but had full time teaching duties.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Where is you reference for $30K, I can find numerous ones that indicate otherwise.

I don't doubt that you can find numerous isolated examples that are above $30K. Have at it. And let that fuel your antipathy, if you choose.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I don't doubt that you can find numerous isolated examples that are above $30K. Have at it. And let that fuel your antipathy, if you choose.
I think I found your source for the $30k, this it?

Quote:
Illinois Policy Institute - Fact Finder: Average $30,000 pension?

In a May 2011 commentary, government employee union chiefs Ken Swanson and Henry Bayer wrote that “at the end of a working life devoted to public service, an Illinois teacher, firefighter or librarian retires with an average pension of just $32,000 a year – and many much less.”
They aren't lying but that's the average for everyone including those with short employment terms. Average teacher pension for 30 year retiree balloons to $65K. Retiring around 55 to 60 years old with $65K pension isn't such a bad deal is it? They aren't even paying into the SS system either, how much is that each year? They don;t collect benefits but they don't need them either. I may not need SS benefits but still have to pay into it.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM

744 posts, read 812,303 times
I would make a great cop, I have some connections since I plow for the town. Maybe a brown envelope to the right person would get me in. I would gladly pay 10k in bribes to become a cop, you would make it back in just a few months then pure profit from there

Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I think I found your source for the $30k, this it?
No, it isn't. Illinois is (again you're only considering high pay situations) one of the highest in teacher pay and not at all representative of the nation.

Quote:
They aren't lying but that's the average for everyone including those with short employment terms. Average pension for 30 year retiree balloons to $68K. Retiring around 55 to 60 years old with $68K pension isn't such a bad deal is it?
If it galls you so badly, you should consider moving to Illinois and becoming a teacher.

Here's a more realistic look at it:

Every few years the American Federation of Teachers releases a Teacher Salary Trends report about teacher salaries across the United States. This information helps teachers decide where to teach and how much they should earn. The latest report indicated that the average teacher salary was $47,602.

The most recent report included a list of teacher salaries by state. The state with the highest average teacher salary was Connecticut, at $57,760. California was a very close second, where the average teacher salary is $57,604. New Jersey teachers make approximately $56,635 per year. Rounding out the top five were Illinois and Rhode Island, with the average teacher salary at $56,494 and $56,432, respectively. The state with the lowest average teacher salary was South Dakota, at $34,039.

Teacher Salaries by State - Employment Spot

The retirement system in practically every state calculates retirement benefits by a formula of age + years of experience for qualifying. In Texas, those two figures must total 90. The retirement pension is figured as 2.3% x the average of the last five years salary.

So, if a Texas teacher averages 50K in their last five years (not an unrealistic figure at all) and retires after 25 years, their retirement pay is $28,750.

That's a whole lot closer to what most get.

But go ahead and cherry pick some more from the high end to keep up your phony outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies