Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 PM

38,662 posts, read 26,474,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You should really get your facts straight. GM was a win for both GM and the public. Much of the GM loan has been repaid and the government holds billions in stock. Also, not letting GM go belly up saved $28 billion in unemployment benefits that didn't need to get paid.

On Solyndra:

Gimme an "O"! Gimme a "B"! Gimme an "A"........

Screwing the secured investors to throw the UAW a bone will cost us trillions in future investment.

Of course lefties are too greedy and stupid to understand the connection between government ignoring the law to screw investors and jobs leaving the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM

29,917 posts, read 39,551,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You should really get your facts straight. GM was a win for both GM and the public. Much of the GM loan has been repaid and the government holds billions in stock. Also, not letting GM go belly up saved $28 billion in unemployment benefits that didn't need to get paid.

On Solyndra:

GM Basic Chart | General Motors Company Common S Stock - Yahoo! Finance

We should be grateful for what exactly? At 500 million shares or so the government is in this for the long haul if it ever expects to see an ROI which means the government has to sell shares when they're over $100 a piece. The estimated fair market value of GM by investors is around $45/per.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-13-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM

25,901 posts, read 16,626,281 times
Are we witnessing the end of the United States with all this that is happening? People are losing faith in the entire system. We have PHD's in economics with Harvard diplomas on their walls with the maturity of a 15 year old. They have no morals or sense of duty to the little people who depend on them to do things right.

Hey, I can build you a house, I can landscape your yard. I can keep the gas and elec going to your house but I have no clue of finance or any of this stuff. We need these people to have some integrity.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,394,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The taxpayers are not on the hook for anything to do with the recent JP Morgan loses and Diamon's appearance before Congress.
I didn't say they were specifically, but indeed they are. JPM is making record profits this year. How is that happening in a down economy? When housing is still falling. While unemployment has been 8% plus?

It's because the government is propping them up at the expense of taxpayers.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
after the "minsky moment" in 2008, Congress decided that Fannie And Freddie should act as a conduit for taking all the junk assets off the banks' balance sheets. that was part of the bailout.
A part of the agreement from the very beginning. The banks knew that the government would step in and cover the bad loans.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A significant majority of the completed an dpending mortgage defaults are in private banks, not F&F.
Not now. Now they are with F&F. As I said above, the banks knew the government would step in when things went bad.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
We should be grateful for what exactly? At 500 million shares or so the government is in this for the long haul if it ever expects to see an ROI which means the government has to sell shares when they're over $100 a piece. The estimated fair market value of GM by investors is around $45/per.
Why would anyone buy into GM when the government has shown that if things go bad they will simply dismiss your investment?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,820,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's funny the way this is worded. "Primarily". Who cares who is "primarily" at fault. Both were at fault. Trying to argue who was the most at fault is an absolute waste of time.

I'll ask again. Why were none of these bankers ever charged with anything?
Those bankers own the politicians, so it stands to reason those politicians won't be investigating any of them. Only a few token arrests have been made, but none of the perps who created the financial meltdown have been arrested. This is in stark contrast to the Savings and Loan Crisis back in the eighties, in which thousands of bankers were arrested and jailed and/or fined. The S&L Crisis was also much smaller in scope.

Follow the money (especially the bailout money) and you'll have a better idea of why nobody has been , or will be arrested and charged.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,818,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A part of the agreement from the very beginning. The banks knew that the government would step in and cover the bad loans.
which i blame on republicans, who masquaraded for 3 decades as the fiscally conservative party and should've known better.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,820,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
which i blame on republicans, who masquaraded for 3 decades as the fiscally conservative party and should've known better.
Let's not forget who repealed a sixty-year-old act that was designed to keep this from happening. Also consider that Dodd-Frank hasn't done anything to stop MF Global and PFG Best from swindling clients.

Whatever the government regulations, someone will figure out a way around them. I'm wasting my breath since you probably blame republicans for EVERYTHING anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies