Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Oh the great community organizer only wishes he could have been there I'm sure.

"The “Stonewall Riot” that president Obama referred to started when police raided a New York City saloon called the “Stonewall Inn” that catered to transvestites. In a 2010 obituary for Seymour Pine, the police inspector who led the raid, the New York Times reported the basic facts of the incident, describing the inn as "an illegal club frequented by cross-dressers." “The club, on Christopher Street near Seventh Avenue South, was owned by members of the Mafia,” the Times reported. “Inspector Pine later said he conducted the raid on orders from superiors.
“About 200 people were inside,” said the Times. “When the officers ordered them to line up and show identification, some refused. Several transvestites refused to submit to anatomical inspections. Word of the raid filtered into the street, and soon hundreds of protesters gathered outside, shouting ‘gay power’ and calling the police ‘pigs.’
“The turning point came when a lesbian fought with officers as she was pushed into a patrol car,” said the Times. “The crowd rushed the officers, who retreated into the club. Several people ripped out a parking meter and used it as a battering ram; others tried to set fire to the club. It took police reinforcements an hour and a half to clear the street.
“It was the start of several nights of rioting, during which the police used force to disperse crowds that sometimes numbered in the thousands,” said the Times. “Fewer than three dozen protesters were arrested, but hundreds were detained and released.”

Obama Celebrates Anti-Police Riot Started at Mafia-Owned Bar for Transvestites | CNSNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Good he should. Maybe you should actually read up on what happened that day. The raid was not to cllose down a supposedly mafia bar but it was against gays and transvestites. The police were in the wrong that time and they knew it which was why so few people actually were arrested.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Good he should. Maybe you should actually read up on what happened that day. The raid was not to cllose down a supposedly mafia bar but it was against gays and transvestites. The police were in the wrong that time and they knew it which was why so few people actually were arrested.
Says who?

And why are you always justifying destruction of property?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh the great community organizer only wishes he could have been there I'm sure.

"The “Stonewall Riot” that president Obama referred to started when police raided a New York City saloon called the “Stonewall Inn” that catered to transvestites. In a 2010 obituary for Seymour Pine, the police inspector who led the raid, the New York Times reported the basic facts of the incident, describing the inn as "an illegal club frequented by cross-dressers." “The club, on Christopher Street near Seventh Avenue South, was owned by members of the Mafia,” the Times reported. “Inspector Pine later said he conducted the raid on orders from superiors.
“About 200 people were inside,” said the Times. “When the officers ordered them to line up and show identification, some refused. Several transvestites refused to submit to anatomical inspections. Word of the raid filtered into the street, and soon hundreds of protesters gathered outside, shouting ‘gay power’ and calling the police ‘pigs.’
“The turning point came when a lesbian fought with officers as she was pushed into a patrol car,” said the Times. “The crowd rushed the officers, who retreated into the club. Several people ripped out a parking meter and used it as a battering ram; others tried to set fire to the club. It took police reinforcements an hour and a half to clear the street.
“It was the start of several nights of rioting, during which the police used force to disperse crowds that sometimes numbered in the thousands,” said the Times. “Fewer than three dozen protesters were arrested, but hundreds were detained and released.”

Obama Celebrates Anti-Police Riot Started at Mafia-Owned Bar for Transvestites | CNSNews.com
Oh **** yeah the Panderer in Chief is at full power.

Gay pride LGBT or die.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I just did.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Yeah, what's the world coming to when gays and crossdressers won't just meekly let themselves be arrested. From your post: "Several transvestites refused to submit to anatomical inspections." So, can you give us one good reason why transvestites should subject to being "inspected"?

I'm fully aware that the people behind CNS would much, much rather we went back to the days when the Public Morals Squad (that's what it was called) would pull late-night raids and arrest those people who don't conform to CNS' right-wing philosophy (and who give the CNS writers those bad, horrible thoughts at night).

None the less, the Stonewall raid kick-started the GLBT movement and provided the impetus for doing away with laws against cross-dressing, homosexuality etc. That makes it a landmark. And I would have thought that a freedom-loving conservative as you would applaud those who don't just bow their head and let government agents look up their underwear.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM

A landmark riot and attempt to murder "pigs". I guess that is what you base your landmarks on? I guess Charlie Manson was also a hero of yours.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
A landmark riot and attempt to murder "pigs". I guess that is what you base your landmarks on?
You're in favor of transvestites being felt up and arrested? Gays being arrrested for the crime of being gay? That was what the protest was about, you realize?

And landmark events are landmark events, you don't have to like every detail of how things went down. Ironically, the authorities invested with upholding public moral were morally in the wrong. It does surprise me to see you speak in favor of such unconditional obedience to government authorities, though.

Quote:
I guess Charlie Manson was also a hero of yours.
Put on your rational adult pants and ponder the differences. I am not going to point them out for you.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The Stonewall Uprising was the single most cherished moment in American LGBT history.

It was the first time in history that LGBT people resisted persecution and police brutality.

For a good book on the subject, I recommend "Stonewall" by David Carter (2004: St. Matins Press).

Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Yeah I'm sure the cops were trying to cop a feel from transvestites. They refused to show ID so they were going to be arrested most likely and the cops needed to see who was a man or woman. What do they get a riot and almost killed and you and Obama claim that is some great moment in LGTB history. That is pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies