Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

do you think this girl should do jail time??? i think being shot was enough punishment..but that is just me.. alcohol can make you do some really stupid stuff

Girl shot while drunkenly trespassing could serve time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I'm tired of alcohol being an excuse for committing crimes instead of an aggravating factor.

If you can't drink responsibly, don't drink.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm tired of alcohol being an excuse for committing crimes instead of an aggravating factor.

If you can't drink responsibly, don't drink.
so that would be a big yes!! she should do jail time..right??

this country is on the verge of financial collapse..putting people in jail for every little thing is just going to push this country closer to the big fall faster than it already is.... i still think being shot was enough..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
I'd rather see people who get behind the wheel drunk and injure / kill someone to do real jail time. I figure that if you pull an accidental b&e while drunk and you're the only one to get hurt, well good enough.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
do you think this girl should do jail time??? i think being shot was enough punishment..but that is just me.. alcohol can make you do some really stupid stuff

Girl shot while drunkenly trespassing could serve time
A huge number of crimes are committed while under the influence of something, it is Never an excuse and yes she should still have to answer for her crime, just as every other criminal has to do.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
She entered someone else's home and was shot. Too bad for her. This is a HUGE problem with drunk college students in that town. I think a couple years probation and alcohol rehab is the right call.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I'm not so sure "tresspassing" is a reason for jail. Was she charged with anything else? It's not up to me but 'I was drunk' isn't an excuse for anything. Take the alcohol and gunshot out of the equation and would she be charged with something worth locking her up over? More than likely the appropriate thing will be some sort of community service and probation.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
She deserves some sort of punishment.

Yeah, she got shot. So what? That girl put herself in that position, she wasn't thrown into that house, she walked in there of her own accord.

The problem is that people tend to excuse this type of behavior because the perpetrators are college students or teenagers.

What kind of a message does that send?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not so sure "tresspassing" is a reason for jail. Was she charged with anything else? It's not up to me but 'I was drunk' isn't an excuse for anything. Take the alcohol and gunshot out of the equation and would she be charged with something worth locking her up over? More than likely the appropriate thing will be some sort of community service and probation.
So, if I enter your home, drunk off my arse, that would be fine so long as I claim I was drunk? I bet not.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The Justice System will descide what her punishment will be and it will not matter what economic sistuation you come from, being drunk will not be an excuse. See how simply that is.
Are you saying that people with more money and therefore the ability to hire a better lawyer with more resources will not have a better chance to get the client a reduced sentence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies