Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
P.S. I thought the correct term was 'porch monkey'.
I will never prevent you from calling anybody any name you want, and I will never try to prevent you from calling anybody any name you want.

The fact is, if you choose to direct racist epithets at black people that will indicate to the world that you are a racist.

Apparently you are okay with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
The racist yahoo sector is raising its ugly head again. Not just in Arizona, but on this forum. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I will never prevent you from calling anybody any name you want, and I will never try to prevent you from calling anybody any name you want.

The fact is, if you choose to direct racist epithets at black people that will indicate to the world that you are a racist.

Apparently you are okay with that
I think it's pretty obvious.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In that context, it comes off as a racist remark. I don't think calling the President a "monkey" in and of itself is racist, but when she said she "voted for the white guy," it brought race into the picture, thereby making the "monkey" remark pretty detestable.

Liberal hypocrisy on name calling is noted though. GWB suffered his share of epithets as well, so they should refrain from trying to be "holier than thou" on the subject.
The epithets Bush got weren't racially based. They weren't meant to question his very legitimacy as President, much less as an American, much less as a human being. I think you know that there is no comparison between what Bush put up with and what Obama puts up with.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,249,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The epithets Bush got weren't racially based. They weren't meant to question his very legitimacy as President, much less as an American, much less as a human being. I think you know that there is no comparison between what Bush put up with and what Obama puts up with.
I agree. I doubt that anyone could tell us how racists a majority of republicans are. IMO A racist also looks down on Handicapped persons, Women and the poor.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
When the shoe is on the other foot, don't like it so much ha! tough. That is the way politics and people go. If it is ok in what ever context to make fun of a former President, it should be ok for the current one as well.

Don't care about the made up circumstances, don't poke fun at the former and the current one might get a free pass.

No it is not right to do this to former and current, but something that won't go away anytime soon.

I don't think the term "Monkey" in and of itself, is a racist remark at all, but i can understand how it comes off as such. Just mention white guy, and changes the scenario. and makes the remark Monkey, now seem as more of a racial issue.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Anybody that tries to justify this by bringing up Bush is basically condoning this type of behavior.
Yes, of course. Move the goal-posts, until the next Republican president is elected, then move them back.

And I should be offended because why, exactly?

For the record, The Boy King™ is not a monkey; he's a baboon, or perhaps a bonobo.

Aping....

Mircea

Quote:
You know this already, but I will repeat it:

Generic name-calling, even calling Bush stupid or a smirking chimp, is not using a racist epithet.
How do you know? Show your facts.

Bigotry is an attitude founded on false beliefs, and racism is bigotry that rises to the level of hatred.

Quote:
The reason for that is that "stupid" and "smirking chimp" are not well-known racist epithets for white people.
Why do they have to be "well-known?" So, if someone, who is also a racist, uses a lesser-known epithet, then that is okay?

Quote:
"Monkey" is a well-known racist epithet for black people.
And the "N-Word?"

Is that not a racist epithet? Yet, we see and hear Blacks & Whites calling Blacks by the "N-Word," and still, it is not racist. In fact, we are now told it is a "term of endearment."

Quote:
Everyone who calls President Obama a monkey knows that.
Are you sure? Did you personally interview those people to make that determination, or are you just guessing? I grew up during the 1960s, and the first time I ever heard the phrase "porch monkey" was in the 1980s when I was in the military. Dergoatory terms tend to be regional. I had no idea what "****" was, but I knew what a "wop" was.

Quote:
In fact, that is why they are doing it.
Again, how do you know? Did you personally interview them, or are you just making an assumption?

Quote:
So yes, calling President Obama a monkey means that you are a racist. Condoning it or excusing it also means that you are a racist.
That is not what it means. I can dislike a president, and call the president a monkey, but that doesn't make me a racist. Just because you abuse the meaning of words for titillation's sake doesn't make it so.

Now, if you can prove that someone hates Obama specifically due to the fact that he is Black, and that they used the term "monkey" as a racist epithet in an attempt to express hatred, then you just might have a case.

And the only reason I point that out, is because in a court of law, whether criminal or civil, that is precisely what you would have to prove in order to justify an "hate crime" -- like racism.

Legally...

Mircea

Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Has HBO presented us with Obama's head on a stake? Has there been a Hollywood film dramatizing Obama's assassination? Do editorial cartoonists routinely depict Obama as a 3 year old child? Does your hypocrisy know no bounds?
We are all simians and if someone called me a monkey I wouldn't really care.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Apparently, some folks don't have the sense to not listen to a radio program that offends them.

This is America. Feel free to change stations.

P.S. I thought the correct term was 'porch monkey'.
You are the expert I suspect. So do tell.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, of course. Move the goal-posts, until the next Republican president is elected, then move them back.

And I should be offended because why, exactly?

For the record, The Boy King™ is not a monkey; he's a baboon, or perhaps a bonobo.

Aping....

Mircea

How do you know? Show your facts.

Why do they have to be "well-known?"
And the "N-Word?"

Are you sure?

Again, how do you know? Legally...

Mircea
How do I know all this stuff? Because I am a well-informed member of American society and user of the English language.

Thanks for confirming your own racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies