Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

OK, I was going to use a word other than pansie...but why get banned?

I always figured NYC residents were pretty, oh, self confident, abrasive, perhaps rude. Not the kind of people I'd expect to want to be told what to do or not do, when to do it and to be told to pay way to much to do so. I have trouble picturing Americans anywhere putting up with some of the things NYC residents do.

1) VERY restrictive firearms ownership laws, and a virtual ban on self defense carry.
2) A government that will tell then what kind of oil then must cook their food in.
3) A government that will tell them what size soft drinks to buy
4) Willingness to put up with random "stop and frisk" searches at the whim of LE
5) Highly regulated and restricted businesses, leading to criminally high costs (taxi anyone?)

Why do people there put up with this stuff? Do you check your gonads at the border when you move to NYC?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
NYer's are not pansies.

Each and every NYer demands that his/her voice is heard loud and clear.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
I suggest you try living in a very high density area for a few years and come back to us with your thoughts about having regulations.

NYC residents have the same problem understanding average country folks as those country folks have understanding New Yorkers. There are cultural differences based upon the larger circumstances of one's life.

That said, I have no idea why I shouldn't be able to supersize it if I want to. I don't get it, either - but I don't live there.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
NYer's are not pansies.

Each and every NYer demands that his/her voice is heard loud and clear.
what are they saying? protect me, protect me???

Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I suggest you try living in a very high density area for a few years and come back to us with your thoughts about having regulations.

NYC residents have the same problem understanding average country folks as those country folks have understanding New Yorkers. There are cultural differences based upon the larger circumstances of one's life.

That said, I have no idea why I shouldn't be able to supersize it if I want to. I don't get it, either - but I don't live there.
Just why would I want to try living in a very high density urban area for a few years? I don't have to beat on my thumb with a hammer to know it's gonna suuuuck. Can't understand why anyone would want to.

In this case, I think its more than just rural vs urban. I don't know of any other urban areas that would put up with what NYC is doing these days, with the possible exception of San Francisco.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-20-2012 at 10:54 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OK, I was going to use a word other than pansie...but why get banned?

I always figured NYC residents were pretty, oh, self confident, abrasive, perhaps rude. Not the kind of people I'd expect to want to be told what to do or not do, when to do it and to be told to pay way to much to do so. I have trouble picturing Americans anywhere putting up with some of the things NYC residents do.

1) VERY restrictive firearms ownership laws, and a virtual ban on self defense carry.
2) A government that will tell then what kind of oil then must cook their food in.
3) A government that will tell them what size soft drinks to buy
4) Willingness to put up with random "stop and frisk" searches at the whim of LE
5) Highly regulated and restricted businesses, leading to criminally high costs (taxi anyone?)

Why do people there put up with this stuff? Do you check your gonads at the border when you move to NYC?
I would think it takes more cajones to walk around without weaponry. From my perspective it's the fearful, suspicious person who feels the need to arm themselves on that dangerous trip to the supermarket or to pick up their child at school. I walk around without fear and without weapons.

I suspect you'd last about 45 minutes in New York City, even though its one of the safest large cities in the world.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think its more than just rural vs urban. I don't know other urban areas that would put up with what NYC is doing these days, with the possible exception of San Francisco.
Sure, but no other areas in the US require so many people to get along in so little space. Doing so sometimes requires measures that seem pointless elsewhere.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I would think it takes more cajones to walk around without weaponry. From my perspective it's the fearful, suspicious person who feels the need to arm themselves on that dangerous trip to the supermarket or to pick up their child at school. I walk around without fear and without weapons.

I suspect you'd last about 45 minutes in New York City, even though its one of the safest large cities in the world.
Frankly, I would shudder at the thought of NY'ers carrying guns around. There are just too many instances each day to be completely and utterly angry at your fellow residents. I don't want to be around when one of those gun-toting yet unbalanced people finally has had it while I'm riding in the same subway car.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
I like the idea of coca-cola prohibition.

There may be organized crime developing around distribution rights to Dr. Pepper in Brooklyn.

The ban will be overturned when people start getting killed over Mr. Pibb.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
In New York City, just like everywhere else, you may drink soda until you explode. There is no limit on how much soda you may drink. You may drink enough soda to kill you. However, in a country where diabetes is epidemic and where we have to ration healthcare, it might be wise not to consume 32 ounces of sugared soda in a single portion.

If you'd like, you may purchase a 2 liter bottle and drink the whole thing. You may also have a block of salt fried in lard if that's your preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies