Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because i've been very clearly, discussing the TOTAL amount that we spend on poverty, through the complete thread, and not just this one program. What part of my postings had you confused?
For 8 pages though we've only been discussing this Farm Bill that passed the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 PM

531 posts, read 501,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For 8 pages though we've only been discussing this Farm Bill that passed the Senate.
and in particular, the SNAP program that the farm bill authorizes and that takes up most of its total spending.

pghquest is having a different discussion with himself, I guess. Explains a lot.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
You yourself hasnt been discussing just the farm bill that passed the Senate.
Quote:
People buying with food stamps go to supermarkets. They support big ag, that's who.

Does Hormel, Cargill really need the extra money ? Or maybe Kraft, General Mills ?

And don't forget JPM who gets paid off of each card by the USG. JPM division that handles the food stamp cards made a net profit of $5.5 billion in 2010.
Imagine the profit now that the food stamp allocation has doubled ?
Quote:
So remove government welfare and we've crippled the nation's food supply ?
That says alot when the food supply is that dependent on government handouts.
So when you started the thread, and you then went on to discuss government welfare, I fugured you really wanted to discuss government welfare.

It would be foolish to discuss 1/10th of what we spend and pretend it exists in a vacuum or represents all of it, correct?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
and in particular, the SNAP program that the farm bill authorizes and that takes up most of its total spending.

pghquest is having a different discussion with himself, I guess. Explains a lot.
Or more than likely you dont want people discussing the whole picture, for some asinine reason.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
You yourself hasnt been discussing just the farm bill that passed the Senate.

So when you started the thread, and you then went on to discuss government welfare, I fugured you really wanted to discuss government welfare.

It would be foolish to discuss 1/10th of what we spend and pretend it exists in a vacuum or represents all of it, correct?
That's who is getting food stamp money. Those are recipients of the Farm Bill.
When I mentioned government welfare it was in context of this thread...farm bill money.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Or more than likely you dont want people discussing the whole picture, for some asinine reason.
I started this thread about the Farm Bill that passed the Senate.

You want to discuss all of the social welfare programs then fine, start a new thread then.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
That's who is getting food stamp money. Those are recipients of the Farm Bill.
When I mentioned government welfare it was in context of this thread...farm bill money.
As you just stated, you started the thread to discuss the food stamp money, but its not just this bill funding food stamps, and this money doesnt get paid without negatively affecting the economy.

Where Does Money For Food Stamps Come From? | Understanding Our Economy

The money that funds this program essentially comes out of the economy,

The USDA is responsible for funding around half of the program and the government covers the rest of the expenses.

They split the funds up so that the total amount spent is hidden.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
As a conservative and pragmatic individual, I've got numerous reasons for my philosophical heartburn with welfare programs of all kinds ... particularly the ones as they exist today. Unfortunately, I cannot in good conscience oppose them for an equal number of good reasons.

If the system was not a fixed game .... if the gangsters in charge were not looting the treasury and destroying the economy on purpose, then I'd be absolutely for much stricter guidelines for who qualified for assistance, and for how long they would receive it. But that's not the case, and when an audit reveals 16 Trillion dollars of off-book transfers by the FED to both domestic AND foreign banks and corporations, all bets are off, and all talk of cutting assistance to the poverty stricken is an obscene joke, regardless of who's gaming the programs and how.

Personally, instead of giving Billionaires Trillions in hand outs, I'd rather see the FED write a check for $50,000 to every household in the country with a gross income of under $100k, and watch the economy BOOM ... if you want to stimulate the economy, do that, and you will have done so instantly. At the same time, repeal these free trade agreements, and restore historically sound trade tariffs on imports, and require by law, trade balance, and watch manufacturing return to the country in a furious scramble to meet the new domestic demands. Impose significant taxes on US based operations that choose to utilize off shore labor, providing an incentive for domestic production, and exempt the first $100,000 of personal income from taxation, with a progressive flat tax rate for income over 100K. Maybe, 1/2 % for every 10k above 100K, with a maximum rate of 40%, no deductions.

At that point, the Treasury will calculate the total revenue for tax collections, and that's what the Federal Government has to spend on functions it is assigned by the constitution .... and watch the wars end, the wasteful spending stop, and the troops come home. The caveat is, congress gets paid last, and the budget must be balanced. That's when you'd immediately see the think tanks and the congress critters designing legislation that actually promoted economic prosperity in the private sector, because that would be the only way they could increase government revenue.

It's not a difficult formula ... pretty simple really.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Now this is the headlines..the Farm Bill passed the Senate with cuts.
No more direct subsidies to farmers; instead they will get subsidized crop insurance.
Supposed to save $23 billion over 10 years yet this Farm Bill is 60% more expensive than the 2008 Farm Bill in cost.

The cost: over $900 billion dollars

Now the Farm Bill gets passed every 5 years.

The bulk of the Farm Bill goes towards food stamps..close to 80%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...-in-house.html

This article says food stamps have doubled since the 2008.
Senate OKs huge farm bill, puts House GOP on spot - SFGate

So we went from about $300 billion for food stamps in 2008 to over $700 billion in food stamps in a mere 4 years.

The program was expanded in 2008, not with this Farm bill. The increased costs are due to increased need.

This is the modern version of America's bread lines. Americans are still hurting only you don't SEE it.
BS.

The food stamp program I way out of hand.

Cut it by 90%.

No one will starve.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
BS.

The food stamp program I way out of hand.

Cut it by 90%.

No one will starve.
This reminds me of a saying in the Right Winger's Manual of Compassion

"Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night"

"Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies