Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,963,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You listen to too much MSM blather. Now McCain did go off on a few amendments he considered pork. I posted them and I do agree with him.
Do we really need a popcorn subsidy ?

I mean, do you really believe that the Repubs want to end welfare, food stamps, SS and medicare ? Really ?
Mine was tongue in cheak. Lets recognize the bill for what it really is...pork. Undoubtably the republicans that voted for this bill had their states interest in mind. And as an answer to your question do Repubs want to end welfare, food stamps, SS and Medicare....some do. Now do all Republicans, I have no doubt there are some who do not. Certainly based on some of the posts here on CD by those who claim to vote Republican, they certainly would like to get rid of welfare and food stamps. I can find you posts by them if you would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
The Food Stamp Program needs accountabilty and it has none. The Debit card flags items that are not considered food. But no one is flagging the reciepts for item purchases that are outside of normal shops. To give an example, there was a guy in front of me with a pallet of bottled water and a box of napkins. He gave the cashier the debit card and it flagged the paper as not being allowed but it had no problem with the pallet of water (24pk of 1/2 liter bottles). What made it more strange is that a pulled out a wad that was at least two inches thick to pay for the paper. The people like this not need not only be cut off from services, but also arrested and charged with fraud. It needs to go even further and charges retailers who abuse the program too. The only things they do to retailers is take away their ability to take cards. Even if you google the fraud, you'll find arrests but very few end up with jail time.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Mine was tongue in cheak. Lets recognize the bill for what it really is...pork. Undoubtably the republicans that voted for this bill had their states interest in mind. And as an answer to your question do Repubs want to end welfare, food stamps, SS and Medicare....some do. Now do all Republicans, I have no doubt there are some who do not. Certainly based on some of the posts here on CD by those who claim to vote Republican, they certainly would like to get rid of welfare and food stamps. I can find you posts by them if you would like.
CD posters are one thing and all they have is an opinion.
My question was referring to those in Congress.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,963,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
CD posters are one thing and all they have is an opinion.
My question was referring to those in Congress.

I was referring to members of the Republican Party who are unencumbered by having to get elected. Certainly, for a congressman to say he wanted to end any of these popular programs would be a death sentence to any reelection campaign. However, it certainly does not mean that they are trying to cut them.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 PM

12,968 posts, read 13,701,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Popcorn is not feed corn.
Thats why they need to be subsidized because it may not be as profitable as corn grow for animals

Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 PM

531 posts, read 502,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
The Food Stamp Program needs accountabilty and it has none.
  • SNAP fraud hotline (first item featured on the SNAP home page): (800) 424-9121

"Over 98 percent of those receiving SNAP benefits are eligible and payment accuracy was 96.19 percent in 2010 --a historic high."
What is FNS Doing to Stop SNAP Fraud

Seems like plenty of controls are in place.

Why don't you try to increase the accountability by calling the hotline to report cases of fraud? And submit comments to the FR notice?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
First there is no benefit for being a whistle blower. The problem needs to be dealt with at the individual level. There is a program software on servers that scan every transaction you make on a credit card. It searches for inconsistantcies on a per reciept level. If one comes out, then the user is contacted for verification. The debit card program can use this software also to analayze reciepts on a individual basis. By instead of calling the user, it creates an audit flag and that person is watched for a few months. If it continues then the audit software would forward it to a audit person, who freezes the account and thus contacts the user for verification of purchases. Thus depending on the verification and the audit the process can be moved forward to the next step. The software exists in the private sector, but the public sector rarely ever uses it until it becomes a multimillion dollar situation. The trafficking is about 1%. But we all know reallistically there is much more. But they rarely go after the little guy. If we really want to make a dent in the fraud, then we must make an example of some to stress the point that these activities wont be tolerated.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This reminds me of a saying in the Right Winger's Manual of Compassion

"Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night"

"Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life"

What is so compassionate about enslaving someone to a government program?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
  • SNAP fraud hotline (first item featured on the SNAP home page): (800) 424-9121

"Over 98 percent of those receiving SNAP benefits are eligible and payment accuracy was 96.19 percent in 2010 --a historic high."
What is FNS Doing to Stop SNAP Fraud

Seems like plenty of controls are in place.

Why don't you try to increase the accountability by calling the hotline to report cases of fraud? And submit comments to the FR notice?
That's like saying "drunk driving arrests are down 98%", when in reality, it is true because some bureaucrat changed the legal limit to 2.0.

Do you really expect truth from the department responsible for the program?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Thats why they need to be subsidized because it may not be as profitable as corn grow for animals
I'm no right winger, G*d knows, but couldn't we all just pay more for popcorn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies