Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I admit this, but I also know that guilt for who I am does not serve anyone. How does feeling guilty help anyone? No one should feel guilty for who they are, but white people as a whole should become more aware of their own privilege (something I notice most whites are completely blind to).

Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree but not for the reasons you're implying, my Great Grandfather worked his ass off to make a better life for his children, my Grandfather did the same. My Father was the first generation to enjoy the fruits of their labors and he made sure his children had a good life. I don't have children of my own but my Brothers are working hard to insure their kids live a good life too.

Wealth is not built overnight unless your name is Bill Gates, for most people who come from poor families it's a multi generational deal.
So just imagine how the blacks that were here generations before yours and worked for free! And over 200 years many of them are still working on a mental plantation due to the fact of cultural/religious/language rape. Every ethnic group were able to come to this country and do well within a couple of generations whether they spoke english or not. Why is that? Simply because they were able to maintain their history.

Should todays whites feel guilty of the sins of their fathers? No, but many of them do not realize the advantages that they have in America over other groups. There are groups that want to ignore having talks regarding racial issues altogether, and there is that small group that want to keep people divided because of race (many of them are profitting over this) and rather have them fighting amongst each other.

I hope that this particuliar forum will open up some doors as to why things are the way that they are and promote some form of understanding between whites and other ethnicities

Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
The people who push this white-guilt/white privilege thing are the same ones who will point at a poor white family and heap scorn and epithets on them. They have done this and continue to do this.
I'm poor and have been broke before...I have no intentions to insult poor white folks.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I love being white

Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Do you then think that our society today is free from racism and discrimination? Do you think that one's life circumstance or the status you are born into today has no effect on someone's life?
Yes there is discrimination and racism and it comes from all ethnicities. To think otherwise is both.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So just imagine how the blacks that were here generations before yours and worked for free! And over 200 years many of them are still working on a mental plantation due to the fact of cultural/religious/language rape. Every ethnic group were able to come to this country and do well within a couple of generations whether they spoke english or not. Why is that? Simply because they were able to maintain their history.

Should todays whites feel guilty of the sins of their fathers? No, but many of them do not realize the advantages that they have in America over other groups. There are groups that want to ignore having talks regarding racial issues altogether, and there is that small group that want to keep people divided because of race (many of them are profitting over this) and rather have them fighting amongst each other.

I hope that this particuliar forum will open up some doors as to why things are the way that they are and promote some form of understanding between whites and other ethnicities
Slavery, in any form, is shameful and has and is happening to many if not all races.

Racism is promoted by finding ways to divide us rather than to bring us together.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I think we can all look back to the sins of our Past, but too move forward, not repeat those same mistakes and sins over again. Most of us have nothing to feel guilty for, if people have guilt, that is fine, most of us have not a thing to be guilty about.

We can have guilt because of certain feelings we carry within our own being, but from a past we had no part of no way.

My ancestors came here, without a siver soon in their mouths. Learned the language, Italian to English, were made fun of, had to find jobs to survive, and in those days was not that easy as one might think. Had to learn the english language, you see in those days, it was important a step to take in becoming a Citizen of this Country, unlike the immigrants of today, those that refuse to learn english.

Nothing was ever given to them, you see i come from a family past and present, of hard work ethics, and those hard work ethcis have paid off for most in my family. NOTHING giving to us, we never felt sorry for ourselves, just believed in the American Dream. No sins from the past, just being positive for the future.

Those who have guilt, carry a setback, and we need to be positive, not negative ever.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:23 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Do you suffer from White Guilt? If so, why? If you don't, why don't you?

The ancestors of Whites (and even some still alive today), were part of a society that committed some of the worst crimes against humanity in this country. Should Whites today feel guilty? Many say there are not responsible for what their ancestors did. However, Whites have inherited the results of that history, such as inherited wealth, access to education, lack of discrimination.

Interesting to get your opinions on this.
No NYer75, you should get it through your liberal mind that the majority of whites in this country do not suffer from white guilt.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
My first black friend I had was in vacation bible school. I was @7 years old. She was a wonderful spirit. She would stand next to me and seemed very shy yet we were inseparable those two weeks.. we had colorforms and would place them to tell the story as the 23rd psalm was read by our teacher. I have never forgot the kind sweet spirit of her. I was driven there out in the country by a women in my neighborhood that gathered a few of us in the summer. When vacation bible school was over it was sad for me and I never saw her again.

I think of her and always say a prayer for her. She truly blessed me those two weeks of vacation bible school. My first black friend.

I feel robbed that we have to discuss the division of races.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
As a white man, I have nothing to feel guilty about.

I can't control what others do. Look at Africa and whats going on in Darfur and Somalia? Utter genocide of their own kind. Doesn't mean all bla,cks should feel guilty.

I'm honestly proud of my mixed european heritage. nothin wrong with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies