Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
That's essentially what people are doing now and it isn't working.

Why would you NOT want to buy health insurance anyway? It makes no sense.
Because if the plans are too much for your budget, you can opt out and either pay the tax (or not if you are too poor), then get insurance when disaster strikes.

I hear this works well for car and home insurance also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
That's essentially what people are doing now and it isn't working.

Why would you NOT want to buy health insurance anyway? It makes no sense.
Because I won't be allowed to get the catastrophic plan anymore and I hardly ever go to the doctor. It's cheaper to only get health insurance if I get sick.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Health insurance corporations celebrating right now with Obama over a glass of champagne.
LOL..ironic, but true.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Romney? Do yopu even know that Romney installed a health insurace coverage package in his own state very similar to Obamacare, he talks about repealing Obamacare, but I can tell you that is a lie on his part and nothing more than Pandering for votes. I would also remind you that one of his mosy likely VP selections, Rubio, wanted to pass the same immigration law that President Obama did. And as for Romney's business practices, well his past is on record and he fits the Republican mold, greed at the cost of the little guy, you silly pawns believe you will be the exception. Romney will be voted for by the GOP faithful, as they always do, as will the Democrats voting for the President, it is the Indes that will make the choice and the vast majority of them know Romney is the answer to nothing and will support the President in his relection bid.
Enjoy President Obama till 2017
Romney's response to this vote looked extremely weak, especially given his health care health care package. This is a major win for Obama, and it's going to be a long 4 years for the GOP faithful.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Romney? Do yopu even know that Romney installed a health insurace coverage package in his own state very similar to Obamacare, he talks about repealing Obamacare, but I can tell you that is a lie on his part and nothing more than Pandering for votes. I would also remind you that one of his mosy likely VP selections, Rubio, wanted to pass the same immigration law that President Obama did.
I agree and for this reason Romney wasn't the best choice for our Party. McCain was another bad choice that ended in disaster. We keep going for these centrists in fear that a true conservative won't get the independent votes, when in reality authenticity and integrity seem to win votes over the specifics of the particular candidate's platform.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Now that the health care law has been settled how will businesses respond to this? Wasn't much of the economic uncertainty related to the uncertainty about the status of the health care law? Well this issue has just been cleared up for business owners by the Supreme Court. Or has it?
You're joking, right?

Or did you simply not read the law you're asking about?

Obamacare is full of phrases like "The details will be specified by a board of the Dept of HHS..." and "procedures to implement this will be set up by a regulatory panel composed of..." etc. It really says very little, aside from setting up boards of regulation, the death panels, requirements that everyone participate or be punished, etc.

Now that it has been upheld, the uncertainty is greater than ever. And will remain so, since what today's board can "settle", tomorrow's board can change.

The "rule of law" is desirable because laws can be written down and then not easily changed. A person or business who wants to know how he will be affected next year, an look it up and trust it, more or less.

Obamacare is the opposite: You can't look up much. What will the regulations be? We don't know, because the various regulatory boards haven't written most of them yet. What will the costs be? Same answer. What will the penalties for not signing up be? Same answer. The only thing you can be sure of, is that when the govt finds its predictions falling short and starts running out of money (as every such socialized medicine plan has done in the past), these things will be changed by those same boards... and not for the better.

"Less uncertainty"???

What do you think Nancy Pelosi was referring to when she said, "We'll have to pass the bill to find out what's in it"?

The only people supporting Obamacare are the ignorant among us, who don't know what's in it... and what isn't in it, YET.

They say ignorance is bliss.

Enjoy your bliss while it lasts.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Health insurance corporations celebrating right now with Obama over a glass of champagne.
Yeah, this law guarantees them millions of new customers forced to buy their products.

Liberal legislation (seat belt laws, laws allowing for monopolies of industries) tends to be far more pandering to individual businesses than conservative free-market economics, even tho the perception is almost ubiquitously the reverse.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I don't think you understand executive orders...

I understand executive orders just fine, obama is the one that does not understand them at all.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do the illegals that just got amnesty get included with this ?
Can they buy insurance from the pool and get subsidized ?

I recall that illegals can buy insurance but won't get subsidized.
I assume the illegals won't get taxed for a penalty if they don't have insurance
And they will continue to get free care, on the taxpayers back, something Obama said wasnt going to happen either.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM

30,257 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Your over reacting... Your state more then likely requires auto insurance and your home financer requires you to have home owners insurance... Health insurance will be the same...
Do you honestly not understand the difference between states rules and federal? Of course each state is going to have their own rules, that is THE POINT! What we DO NOT WANT is the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT telling us what we have to get. What part of that do you NOT comprehend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies