Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
By giving them more readily available access to healthcare that they didn't have before.

Emergency rooms will be less burdened by dead beats, who show up, get treated, and skip out on the bill. Leaving the hospitals with an unpaid bill passed on to those with insurance.

Thanks for asking.
So these "deadbeats" will get a conscience and some money and buy insurance ?
LOL at that. The ERs will still be full of people with no insurance. You cannot stop that even with this law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
More importantly, auto insurance is there to protect someone else, not just the owner of the vehicle.
And, according to Mitt Romney, mandate/tax penalty is to protect others from free loaders.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
So we're free to buy insurance across state lines, in the spirit of the commerce clause, right?

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Taratova, it was always a tax, thats how they argued it in front of the Supreme Court. I cant tell you the number of left wing nuts who have no problem selling out their own liberties as long as someone else is paying. Look at the one who just posted above.

I say we now tax people who want to belong to unions, or gays, or people who die.. I bet that'll go over well with left wing kooks..

These are the same people who will tell you Obama didnt pass anything that affected the deficits, didnt increase the size of government, will criticize tax credits, and then celebrate them on the very next posting..

Hypocrites..

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
One thing I have not seen in the discussions is this:

How much is the projected mandate going to be? Suppose I am 27 years old and am now required to buy own heath insurance. What is it going to cost me?

I'm guessing about $400 to $500 a month for a childless, unmarried individual.

Is that too high, or not high enough?
So basically, now before the mandate has kicked in, if you find yourself in a catastrophic car wreck. And you are taken to the hospital with serious injuries, ....let's say you rack up a bill of $120K, you'll skip out on that bill or at least most of it. Costs passed on to me since I have health insurance.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yes and those people who take the bus pay for insurance inside their fee when they ride. However for the millions in this country who do drive, they are required to have insurance for their vehicle. You're paying for insurance one way or the other trust me. One "forces" you to when you take the bus and the other "forces" you to when you drive a personal vehicle.

Much like health care right now the insured drivers carry the cost of those who are not, it's built into the price and rates are high as a result.

Regardless of state of federal, it's still government requiring you to purchase a product.
NO one "forces" you to take the bus. There are other options. You have the CHOICE to take the bus, the CHOICE to drive a car, the CHOICE to ride a bike, the CHOICE to walk. No one is forcing you to live where you live requiring you to take a bus or car, YOU made that choice. Again, this is FORCED on us because our parents decided to have kids.

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The GOP loses bigtime here because they have had DECADES to provide some sort of healthcare overhaul for Americans but refused to do so. Now they continue to object to the healthcare law, despite the SC ruling, and still don't have a plan for Americans as an alternative.
Actually, they put forth a plan some time ago. Repeal and Replace the Job-Destroying Health Care Law - A Pledge to America - GOP.gov

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So basically, now before the mandate has kicked in, if you find yourself in a catastrophic car wreck. And you are taken to the hospital with serious injuries, ....let's say you rack up a bill of $120K, you'll skip out on that bill or at least most of it. Costs passed on to me since I have health insurance.
...or now you can get your wages garnished for not buying a gov't approved private product.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
It does appear that the Supreme Court, which is stacked 5 to 4 with conservative judges has dealt a blow to the mean-spirited right wing agenda of the republican party. First the decision on Monday, which failed to sanction a purge of all undocumented aliens and now the upholding of the AHA and it's provisions. Only thing left is to do is what right wingers always do under these circumstances; go put on their chicken costume, run through the neighborhood and forums, projecting what horrible consequences all this means to everyone. None of which ever comes to pass.
As far as votes in November, nothing's changed. Those that hated obama and AHA will still vote for Romney and those who didn't will still vote for Obama.
I hear that the republicans in the house are going to sit in their seats and hold their breath until they turn blue in protest.

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-28-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
But..all Amerians and illegals will get their "fair share" of insurance now.

It's the government's job to care for the health and "social" welfare of the country.
It's the taxpayer's job to make sure they can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies