Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

You know, something just occurred to me. Since this is a tax, per the Supreme Court, Obama is the president now responsible for taxing us for being alive. That's right. If you exist and live in this country, you pay the tax via buying health insurance or pay the penalty for not having it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

865 posts, read 623,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, they will get subsidized insurance. The Fed will pay up to 96% of their premiums. So they have a 4% skin in the game.
Thanks for the facts! I wondered what the actual numbers are.

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the problem with your statement, is that obamacare cannot sustain itself on just what is paid into it by those that wont get insurance. the feds will have to get their money from someone else, and only the rest of the tax paying citizens can do that. that is just plain wrong, having to pay twice for a service we wont get.
Huh, you do it anyway. Who do you think gets charged whenever someone goes into the ER with a cold or a boo-boo?

1,001 posts, read 1,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And this is great, however it's a state run plan. Healthcare should have been left to each state.

I don't think a one size fits all with a nation this big.
It is state run with Fed funding. If we said to each state, the Fed will stay out and you can decide what you want, NONE of them would make a move without FED funding.

410 posts, read 342,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Except for the fact that with the Supreme Court changing it to a tax, it being a tax increase is on the Supreme Court, not Obama.

I doubt this will honestly affect the election much.

Again, though, not that it matters, since Romney and Obama are pretty much the same politician.
IMO, the President knew that it was a tax all along, he tried to pass it off as something else. I don't think you can blame the SC for calling a spade a spade.

As far as them being pretty much the same; they are the same (in public), but I really do fear that President Obama has a much more divisive agenda up his sleeve. Again, just my opinion.

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Seems to me, if that was the case, medical care would be a growth industry and people would swarm to the profession.
They have a shortage of nurses too . It pays well but they are not flocking. Government does not pay well so many will leave in the years to come or doctors will not take medicaid at all.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
You tell me. Obamacare takes $500 Billion out of Medicare!
Over a ten year period.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think you meant, only liberal/progressive elements, because I haven't seen you feverishly denounce the conservative elements. However, that wasn't the point at all. The idea was, these "a lot" of people you spoke for, should demand that the government spend not a penny more on health care than it collects in taxes. Will that be acceptable? And how are you going to handle those idiots who were crying about $50B reduction would be putting grandma to death bed? I'm sure you heard about that craziness?

You wish. And I wish, I weren't subsidizing the loud mouth oldies who can't see the realities beyond self.

So Mitt Romney was lying when he spoke of these free-loaders? Is the hundreds of billions that the government spends on Medicare/Medicaid and other health care expenses amounting to nearly $900 Billion a year... not really spending? Denial may be your best friend, but don't present it as an argument in a public forum.
i meant all government leaders, as this is so much bigger than a partisan event. EMTALA was just the beginning of healthcare turning ugly in this country.

our country has been on life support for some time now, and they keep trying to pull the plug. you can say whatever you want, but the math is not going to lie, and we are all going to have to deal with the consequences.

i think the government is OUT OF LINE FORCING PEOPLE TO BUY SOMETHING.

evidently, you do not.

i am sure that we would have more money if we cut the freaking waste in the government, and maybe stopped attacking so many other countries and starting focusing on OUR OWN COUNTRY for a change-oh, and maybe close the barn door too.

but none of those issues have been addressed, have they?

ALL THEY KNOW HOW TO DO IS TRY AND FIND ANOTHER TAX TO STICK IT TO THE MIDDLE CLASS-that's all they have!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Won't capitalism take care of this? The strongest companies will survive and work around it while those that cannot adapt will die.

With the internet, companies who display such a cavalier attitude as the OP states will fall by the wayside.

Perhaps it's time people stood up and said when it comes to healthcare, money should not be first.

I believe we can do this. I truly do.

cannot adapt? you mean like what should have happened to chevy and dodge? we all saw how that turned out.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Huh, you do it anyway. Who do you think gets charged whenever someone goes into the ER with a cold or a boo-boo?
17 million more colds or a boo boo fee free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies