Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've known a lot of people who have done that. Myself included. After all there are 168 hours in a week, a full course is 15-18 hours, that leaves at least 150 hours a week to work, sleep, party and whatever.
I agree, having worked with a woman who spent about that amount of time at school at night, worked 40 hours or more each week, and raised two adopted kids under 12 at the same time. She had a degree in a few years. Now makes 400% of her than f/t office clerical position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Guess I will have to rethink going to Graduate School.

Interest on student loans will be paid off while students are in graduate school and then the interest rate will double...says this article.

No more grace period on student loans - chicagotribune.com
Undergrads losing the six month grace period is a really poor policy decision IMO. When I graduated 2 years ago it took me exactly six months to find a job. There is absolutely no way I could have paid the loans right away.

I'm convinced student loans ARE the next bubble that will burst and this is only going to make that happen sooner.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No one's going to work 40 hours a week and do college, unless they plan to take the better part of a decade to complete their degree.

Min. wage has not kept up with rising costs.
My daughter did and still graduated with honors. Suma something or other....

Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Undergrads losing the six month grace period is a really poor policy decision IMO. When I graduated 2 years ago it took me exactly six months to find a job. There is absolutely no way I could have paid the loans right away.

I'm convinced student loans ARE the next bubble that will burst and this is only going to make that happen sooner.
Except unlike a mortgage, student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy cases, so you can't escape that debt.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Good, maybe this will convince more students to avoid college and enter the trades.
What trades? They've all been outsourced. Those that are left are being scrambled over by too many for too few jobs.

I agree that we need more engineering and science people, but kids are not getting interested in those fields anymore because their education have been so stripped down in high school they're not exposed enough to gain an interest in the first place.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
I was bit offended with this post. However, everyone is always entitled to their opinions, no matter how subjective they may be.

I actually considered my degree for that particular career. And hopefully the studies in Archaeology as well would make me an attractive candidate.

There will always be a need for such jobs, and there will be a growth in that particular job market between now and 2020.

Trust, I've been doing my research.

Curators, Museum Technicians, and Conservators : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
There's a very good reason it's called the Information Age and not the Plumbing Age. You'll be fine.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Good, maybe this will convince more students to avoid college and enter the trades.

"I'm $80,000 in debt, but I can't find a job with my Art History degree. Wah!"

When people stop paying colleges for worthless degrees, maybe tuition rates will normalize.

will be sending my daughter to college for business and agriculture. she intends to be a dairy farmer. her grandfather is planning on her being one as well.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Guess I will have to rethink going to Graduate School.
Good. Get a job. Work for a few years. Then decide on grad school.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why is learning about great works of art a worthless degree. It teaches you to analyze and interpret information from a range of sources and so much more. Maybe they want to become curators in a museum or gallery. Jobs may not be plentiful but there is still a need for this degree. Making fun of it makes you look a little foolish.
Because it is a worthless degree. Companies want engineers, math, computer science majors. Art history majors is not what drives our economy. Arts history majors end up living with their parents occupying parks. The people I know liberal arts degress who have good jobs, had to go to grad school and get a law degree or a MBA.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
There's a very good reason it's called the Information Age and not the Plumbing Age. You'll be fine.
Yeah but you can't outsource a plumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies