Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
No thanks! I feel as a woman, there'd be too much competition in plumbing.

Quote - The top ten male jobs, all more than 95-percent male: Plumbers, car mechanics, carpenters, skilled construction workers, extraction workers, electricians, unskilled construction workers, construction supervisors, firefighters and lumberjacks.

As for female plumbers, others have noticed the disparity. And not just in the U.S.

Conversely, the top ten female jobs, all more than 82-percent female (note that men have an easier time breaking into traditionally female occupations): Secretaries, child care workers, nurses, healthcare support jobs, bookkeepers, health care aides, special education teachers, financial clerks, personal appearance workers, and information clerks.

Male Jobs, Female Jobs... | NJ.com
My career is 97% male and it's nearly impossible to get other women involved in it. It's not easy working as the only woman in a shop environment (oooh, the stories I have) especially for mediocre pay and mostly contract work. I know for a fact that when I worked as an auto mechanic (before moving into aviation) I was paid far less than my male counterparts even though I had more experience, more certifications and better availability.

While I love my job, it takes a certain kind of woman to break into the boys club and not all of them are fit for the ridicule, the pay disparities, and the emotional toll it can take on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Good, maybe this will convince more students to avoid college and enter the trades.

"I'm $80,000 in debt, but I can't find a job with my Art History degree. Wah!"

When people stop paying colleges for worthless degrees, maybe tuition rates will normalize.

Trade schools are expensive too.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Undergrads losing the six month grace period is a really poor policy decision IMO. When I graduated 2 years ago it took me exactly six months to find a job. There is absolutely no way I could have paid the loans right away.

I'm convinced student loans ARE the next bubble that will burst and this is only going to make that happen sooner.

I agree. I graduated back in 2009, however when I graduated, though I had an internship(the same one I had that entire year) the internship did not pay enough to live off, let alone pay loans. I was not really in a position to pay student loans, until after the grace period.
It just doesn't make sense that lawmakers would even think that this is going to work. With the unemployment figure being the way it is for graduates once they graduate, the fact that many will be underpaid, and the large amount of student loan debt, I fail to see how they think that many students won't default thanks to this new policy. It just isn't making sense when you consider everything. And while this new policy may give future generations something to think about it when it comes to the college they choose, the fields, and the amount of loans they take out, the current generation--the ones that are now graduating, or that are close to graduating, they are truly going to suffer big time.
It's getting to the point where I truly believe that going college is just going to be luxury for the average person.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 06-30-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
No one's going to work 40 hours a week and do college, unless they plan to take the better part of a decade to complete their degree.
They may not be able to finish in four years, but five years are doable. Just cut out the partying/clubbing. Too many kids complain that they have no time to study. But when they graduate and get jobs, they can do a 60-70 workweek and party without an issue (and still find time to study for further certifications). I did Military, I did Universities and I did work. Not a penny came from my family. I paid off all my loans and I expect the current generation to pay off theirs. They chose their degree paths and now they have to live with it.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Not if they graduate in the top of their class from a top ten school. I work at a law firm we're always hiring new attorneys, actually our summer associate program is going on right now. At the end of the program they'll make offers to the ones the like. I think new associates start of making $160,000 a year.
Yep. My sister goes to UVA and she has already been guaranteed that upon graduation she will make a base salary of $160,000 year. Currently she works at a law firms during her summers, and makes $4000 a week. She went to Harvard for Undergrad, did exceptionally well on her LSAT, and networked A LOT to get to where she is at. She graduates next year.

While I do agree that law is becoming very saturated, for those who are in positions similar to my sister, they have nothing to worry about.

Those who want to get decent paying jobs(or jobs at all) MUST go to a top school in their field of expertise. You can't go to a third tier, or second tier college(even if it is somewhat notable in the region) and hope to be able to compete. You have to go to the best.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
They may not be able to finish in four years, but five years are doable. Just cut out the partying/clubbing. Too many kids complain that they have no time to study. But when they graduate and get jobs, they can do a 60-70 workweek and party without an issue (and still find time to study for further certifications). I did Military, I did Universities and I did work. Not a penny came from my family. I paid off all my loans and I expect the current generation to pay off theirs. They chose their degree paths and now they have to live with it.
The new law also gives people less time to complete their degrees before they need to pay back.

You're out of touch with the current reality. Min. wage jobs are not going to pay for tuition plus the cost of living. Min. wage isn't even enough for most people in most places to live off of. This isn't 30 or 40 years ago anymore.

So if someone works 40 hours a week, plus goes to college full time, between study, class and work, when are they supposed to even sleep? People studying in the sciences, etc., should be encouraged to devote their efforts to study so this country has a better future. Stocking shelves or flipping burgers does nothing for the future. Innovation and progress, necessary for our country to compete in the world now, depends on the educated not the burger flipping wage slaves.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:05 PM

415 posts, read 616,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Except unlike a mortgage, student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy cases, so you can't escape that debt.
Which is why the student loan crisis is going to be far worse. You cannot get blood out of a turnip. If those people cannot find jobs, then both the grad with the debt and the company that holds the debt are screwed. The debt balloons, and the company makes nothing off of it.

Student loans need to be made dischargeable in bankruptcy - the creditor gets to write off the debt and the student gets to move on - and the government needs to get out of the student loan business. That is the only outcome from this that has a somewhat happy ending. Otherwise there will be riots. Seriously, the mortgage crisis is going to look like a walk in the park compared to this.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Quote:
I did Military, I did Universities and I did work. Not a penny came from my family. I paid off all my loans and I expect the current generation to pay off theirs. They chose their degree paths and now they have to live with it.

When did you go to school? Have you missed the news about how education costs have sky rocketed?

One of my high school friend's kid is going to the same college I went too. I spent ~$1000 a semester all together for books, classes, room/board. His costs are over $6000 for the semester. And we're talking a third tier technical school that gets lots of cash from companies like Intel.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
The new law also gives people less time to complete their degrees before they need to pay back.
Six years is not enough? And do you really think that NINE years wasn't a bit much to carry loans and not pay even interest?

http://www.loyno.edu/financialaid/maximum-time-frame-complete-first-undergraduate-degree

Quote:
You're out of touch with the current reality. Min. wage jobs are not going to pay for tuition plus the cost of living. Min. wage isn't even enough for most people in most places to live off of. This isn't 30 or 40 years ago anymore.
And you think we did better on $3/hr. Excuse me we didn't share apartments with one person each, we shared rooms in apartments with four people each. We shared numerous things. We barely heated the apartment during the winters. And you know what else WE PAID OFF OUR LOANS before buying/leasing a new car. I did my time in the Marines to lessen my costs to go to college. I worked , I went to school, Got more than one job, Paid loans and moved forward. Do you really think under Reaganomics we did much better?

Quote:
When did you go to school? Have you missed the news about how education costs have sky rocketed?
Look up Polytechnic in NY (Its part of NYU now). It wasn't cheap then and it isn't cheap.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Six years is not enough? And do you really think that NINE years wasn't a bit much to carry loans and not pay even interest?

http://www.loyno.edu/financialaid/ma...raduate-degree
You're the one suggesting people take years and work as wage slaves to pay it off.

Quote:
And you think we did better on $3/hr. Excuse me we didn't share apartments with one person each, we shared rooms in apartments with four people each. We shared numerous things. We barely heated the apartment during the winters. And you know what else WE PAID OFF OUR LOANS before buying/leasing a new car. I did my time in the Marines to lessen my costs to go to college. I worked , I went to school, Got more than one job, Paid loans and moved forward. Do you really think under Reaganomics we did much better?
Average undergraduate tuition and fees and room and board rates charged for full-time students in degree-granting institutions, by type and control of institution: 1964-65 through 2006-07

Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955

1976 average tuition: 924 dollars
2006 average tuition: 8055 dollars

Min wage in 1976 was 2.30

Hours needed at min wage in 1976: 401

Min wage 2006: 5.15
Hours needed at min wage: 1564

I think this speaks for itself. 400 hours at 40 hours a week is 10 weeks of work to pay off tuition. Doable at a summer job in 1976 perhaps. 1564 hours at 40 hours a week is around 39 weeks. A good chunk of a year.

You're out of touch with a changing world. What was possible 30 or 40 years ago is not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies