Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
As a liberal, I fully support this idea. All 25 states that sued ObamaKare should opt out of it NOW! In fact, I wish they would opt out of Medicare and Medicaid too. The Court said they can. Of course they cannot opt out of paying Federal taxes and that will only mean more benefits to the states that stay in. Think of it like this: you got 50 people paying for something that only 25 are using. Who reaps the benefit?
To me it is pretty mean-spirited that folks who are eligible for medicaid under the new guidelines will miss out as their states refuse to participate as a political statement.

I think that if the new medicaid eligibility guidelines continue to stand, more states will opt in as the years go on and it becomes less politicized. It took Arizona until the 80s to participate in medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:51 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Many doctors will not see those on medicaid. That means if your doctor take medicaid patients the line will get longer.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
To me it is pretty mean-spirited that folks who are eligible for medicaid under the new guidelines will miss out as their states refuse to participate as a political statement.

I think that if the new medicaid eligibility guidelines continue to stand, more states will opt in as the years go on and it becomes less politicized. It took Arizona until the 80s to participate in medicaid.

It isn't "mean spirited" to realize you just can't afford it. It's not political, it's financial.

You used Arizona as an example so I will too. Arizona has been bombarded with illegals that pay very little into the system. They are forced to educate their kids and treat all of them in the emergency rooms. They also have to incarcerate law offenders. None of this will change due to the ruling on 1070. Now with the 800,000 that Obama legalized, their numbers will go up more. In addition to the illegal population, they will now be asked to provide healthcare to anyone that is low income. Because there are so many illegals, the wages are low because there are so many people competing for jobs. That could mean that more than half the state is receiving medicaid. How do you think a state can operate, building roads, law enforcement, corrections, HHS, public schools, etc. when half the population is taking rather than contributing?

Do you realize that as taxes go up to pay for these things the cost of everything goes up as well? A landlord won't pay higher taxes and not raise the rent.

Regardless of where the cutoff is for this there are going to be people that are right on the fringe that don't qualify. They are having a rough time feeding their family. And now their rent will go up and they will be strapped with paying someone else's medical bills. I call THAT mean spirited. Sorry!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Its moot since President Romney will repeal this massive tax increase.
And that is moot since it is rather doubtful there will ever be a "President Romney" unless you mean the President of Bain.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
ObamaCare*

Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
My state will opt-out and I am happy about it. This means that our state will not have to expand Medicaid in this unfunded mandate. All the decision to opt-out means is that we will not be bankrupting our state's Medicaid. From reading this thread, I can see there are a LOT of people that are sorely misinformed on what it will mean for the states. With the Medicaid mandate that Obamacare was pushing through, this meant additional people added to the Medicaid rolls but only the first two years would be paid for by the Federal gov't. So what happens after those two years?? The states must come up with the funds to pay for those extra people. Most states are hanging by the skin of their teeth already but with this new mandate, it will be the death knell for them.

Doesn't anyone remember No Child Left Behind and why is was so criticized?? It was the same reason. It was an unfunded mandate.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 20,995 times
The country's economical system is collapsing, every state is damn near bankrupt and now people are being forced to have heath insurance, this new law will only make the pharmaceutical and insurance companies richer. It's been proven, the more there's a demand for something the price for it will only go up. Over 90% of the groceries and bottled water we buy are bad for our bodies, this will cause us to be stricken with diabetes and other diseases, forcing us seek healthcare attention and being put on medication that'll weaken our bodies. I love the American people but we have become dumbed down by politics, healthcare, education and financial awareness. We deserve everything that's coming to us because we fail to reconize Satan at work!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Well you should be expected to be barraged with commercials from health providers about how good Obamacare is for the country (snickers).

Quote:
• Medicaid providers doing business in the 27 litigant states can expect an increase of $207 billion in federal and state Medicaid revenue for the period 2014 to 2018 if the law is upheld. Managed-care plans would increase by $46.3 billion in those five years; nursing homes by $29.3 billion; and inpatient hospitals by $28.7 billion.
• Texas and the Medicaid health-care providers doing business in that state stand to benefit from the largest increase in projected expansion-related Medicaid spending if the law goes into effect. The federal and state portions of Medicaid are expected to steer $45.9 billion, or 22.2 percent of all increased spending among the suing states during the 2014-2018 period, to Texas alone.
• In Florida, where the top five health plans accounted for almost 70 percent of Medicaid managed-care premiums in 2011, the projected revenue increase is $3 billion, of which $2.1 billion will go to the top five plans. They are led by Sunshine State Health Plan Inc., a Centene Corp. company, which stands to gain $482 million in five years from Medicaid’s expansion. In Virginia, which would gain $1.9 billion over five years, the lead provider is HealthKeepers Inc., a WellPoint Inc. company, which would take in a third of that amount, or $638 million.
http://about.bgov.com/files/2012/06/...d-Spending.pdf

I'm sure it'll be a complete shock when lawmakers do a 180 for no apparent reason (until you look at their campaign contributions).

Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
Well I live in a state where the gov't is anti President Obama I hope they are not allowed to opt out they should have to eat healthcare for being so indifferent toward those who have no healthcare or hope of getting any. I don't understand very much about how healthcare will work, but it has to be better than what is going on now at least in my state. I can see the OPs point

Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,768 times
America should be allowed to op-out. The bill never should've been upheld in the first place. But then again, that would be if we lived in a world where our laws and the Constitution were taken in to account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies