Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
This is my post some few pages back where I stated that

IT HAS NOT REDUCED THE ABORTION RATE. Chile has put up to 200 women in prison a year and that has not stop women from getting an abortion. They rather go to prison then to have an unwanted pregnancy.

What makes you think that if Mississippi becomes "abortion free" or if Roe vs Wade is repealed, Women will not get abortions? They will. They will be more creative and desperate. If they can't, they will probably throw a full newborn in the trash like some of the teens that are in the news.
By this "logic" - laws don't completely stop the behavior it is intended to curtail - so does this mean that you would support the removal of laws against murder from all criminal codes? After all - the laws haven't stopped all homicides from occurring - and in the case of serial killers - they seem to have become more creative so they can continue to kill.

Sounds to me like you think a law is only effective if it has a !00% deterrance rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
By that logic, since alcohol is legal everyone in America is complicit in every drunk driving fatality.
Your logic is a seriously flawed.
No because drunk driving fatalities can't occur until someone who has become intoxicated gets behind the wheel.

By your logic - every driver is complicit for all automobile accidents because they drive.

Let's stick to reason - not fallacial analogies.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How come some states charge a killer of a pregnant woman with two murders?

After all - that other living thing inside her is just "a parasite" and a "clump of cells" - but murder is broadly defined as the malicious killing of a human being. There are varying levels of malice - but the term "human being" is always present in a definition of any type of murder.

But the pro-abortion people keep saying that a fetus is not a human being.

Well, is it or not?
First off, I'd point out that this question is nothing more than a cheap attempt at deflection. You couldn't answer my question directly because you know such a thing has not happened and to admit such would essentially be admitting that your "abortion is murder" line is a complete joke as well.

Honestly though, I knew this question was coming. My response is that first, I doubt such laws would hold up at the SCOTUS. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge they have not heard any related cases. Second, it mainly boils down to choice. Physician assisted death is legal in a few states, but if you were to maliciously kill someone there, even someone who you knew was going to partake in PAD, you would still get charged with murder. You cannot make the choice for someone else.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Do you eat human babies for breakfast?
No, I ate chicken fetuses.

Babies are breathing, and living outside the womb.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
There will be those that still do it.
Being legal makes all of each society that does complicit.

There is no "right to kill".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
By that logic, since alcohol is legal everyone in America is complicit in every drunk driving fatality.
Your logic is a seriously flawed.
Quote:
No because drunk driving fatalities can't occur until someone who has become intoxicated gets behind the wheel.

By your logic - every driver is complicit for all automobile accidents because they drive.

Let's stick to reason - not fallacial analogies.
Try to follow along, Dear.
I'll make it a little easier for you to understand.
Since alcohol is legal then society is complicit in the harm to every person harmed by alcohol.
The word you were looking for is fallacious, BTW.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
First off, I'd point out that this question is nothing more than a cheap attempt at deflection. You couldn't answer my question directly because you know such a thing has not happened and to admit such would essentially be admitting that your "abortion is murder" line is a complete joke as well.
You are using a circular argument: murder is illegal - abortion is legal - therefore abortion is not murder.

That doesn't hold any water.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
again the anti choicers won't tell any of us why they think they have any business at all telling women what they can do with their bodies?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
You are using a circular argument: murder is illegal - abortion is legal - therefore abortion is not murder.

That doesn't hold any water.
What you showed there was logic, not a circular argument.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
How come some states charge a killer of a pregnant woman with two murders?

After all - that other living thing inside her is just "a parasite" and a "clump of cells" - but murder is broadly defined as the malicious killing of a human being. There are varying levels of malice - but the term "human being" is always present in a definition of any type of murder.

But the pro-abortion people keep saying that a fetus is not a human being.

Well, is it or not?
That goofy argument has been explained and explained.

For the slower:

It has to do with your hatred of "choice". The pregnant woman gets to decide whether to have the baby or not, it's her body, her choice.

A murder takes that choice away from her as YOU want to do.

And i do believe the law on murder of a pregnant woman does have term limits...in some states.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It has to do with your hatred of "choice". The pregnant woman gets to decide whether to have the baby or not, it's her body, her choice.
Assuming that the woman had consensual sexual relations - she decided to have the baby when she got undressed.

We aren't talking about the woman's body - we are discussing the body of a new human life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies