Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

"Senate Bill 537, part of a growing national trend of so-called "TRAP" (Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers) bills, would require all abortion clinics in Texas to meet the same physical requirements as ambulatory surgical centers, even if they do not perform surgical abortions. Clinics would have to have surgical operating rooms of at least 240 square feet, specific flooring for janitors' closets, and new ventilation systems that can sterilize operating rooms and regulate the humidity of administrative offices -- all requirements that would be hard to fulfill.

Only five of the 42 clinics in Texas are currently licensed as ambulatory surgical centers, according to a Planned Parenthood spokesperson. If the bill becomes law, the other 37 clinics will either be forced to close down or to undergo costly and extensive building renovations in order to comply. The five clinics that would remain open are in Texas' major metropolitan areas -- Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio -- so women in most rural parts of Texas would have to drive much farther in order to access abortion care."

Texas Abortion Bill Could Close Most Of State's Clinics

My question. What is the point of this bill? If TX is trying to address surgical abortion that have complications they could have proposed a bill that allowed only specific location to perform surgical abortions. How does anyone actually benefit from this bill? Poor women are just going to have more kids and considering the high teen pregnancy rate this doesn't sound like a good policy.

In addition, TX law requires 2 trips to an abortion clinic. First for the ultrasound and the second for the abortion 24 hrs later. If I had to wait that long I think I would fly to another state for an abortion.

Texas Abortion Laws - Planned Parenthood - Center for Choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
In addition, TX law requires 2 trips to an abortion clinic. First for the ultrasound and the second for the abortion 24 hrs later. If I had to wait that long I think I would fly to another state for an abortion.
Then go ahead and do that. If the law requires a waiting period before you get an abortion and wants you to see the life that you are terminating before you make a decision to terminate then so be it. It's not restricting you in any way. The only reason to oppose such a thing is political.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
How does anyone actually benefit from this bill?
It makes Republicans feel morally superior. It's a benefit to them, I guess.....

Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
The North Dakota legislature approved the most restrictive abortion laws in the United States on Friday, cutting off abortion access as early as six weeks into a pregnancy. The bill, HB 1456, makes it illegal for doctors to perform an abortion if a heartbeat is detectable in the fetus—something that can happen as little as six weeks after conception. It passed the Senate by a vote of 26 to 17, and will now head to the desk of Republican Gov. Jack Dalrymple.
North Dakota Passes Ban on Abortions After 6 Weeks of Pregnancy | Mother Jones

I don't know WHAT the hell is going on down there. Looks like the Lifer Taliban is out in full force. The Motherhood Mutaween, as it were.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then go ahead and do that. If the law requires a waiting period before you get an abortion and wants you to see the life that you are terminating before you make a decision to terminate then so be it. It's not restricting you in any way. The only reason to oppose such a thing is political.
The 24 hr law was put into place in 2011, but the proposed law will close 38 out of 42 abortion clinics. This doesn't make sense to me. If a woman in El Paso wants an abortion she has to drive 9 hrs to San Antonio to get one if she wants it done in state.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The North Dakota legislature approved the most restrictive abortion laws in the United States on Friday, cutting off abortion access as early as six weeks into a pregnancy. The bill, HB 1456, makes it illegal for doctors to perform an abortion if a heartbeat is detectable in the fetus—something that can happen as little as six weeks after conception. It passed the Senate by a vote of 26 to 17, and will now head to the desk of Republican Gov. Jack Dalrymple.
North Dakota Passes Ban on Abortions After 6 Weeks of Pregnancy | Mother Jones

I don't know WHAT the hell is going on down there. Looks like the Lifer Taliban is out in full force. The Motherhood Mutaween, as it were.
Idaho had a similar bill that cut off abortion at 20 weeks that was overturned.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM

408 posts, read 607,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, the only reason to propose such a thing is political.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The 24 hr law was put into place in 2011, but the proposed law will close 38 out of 42 abortion clinics. This doesn't make sense to me. If a woman in El Paso wants an abortion she has to drive 9 hrs to San Antonio to get one if she wants it done in state.

Or go to Las Cruces.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
This is all Republicans ever seem to do, attack women's rights and completely ignore jobs & the economy.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This is all Republicans ever seem to do, attack women's rights and completely ignore jobs & the economy.

yeah. and then go on to cut back on welfare programs and defunding public education in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies