Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM

45 posts, read 22,087 times

Advertisements

I realize this question might generate a plethora of answers which essentially contain a barrage of criticism arising from the passions of partisanship (or vice versa), but I am willing to undergo this risk in the hope of obtaining a few thoughtful responses that reflect patriotic, principled, and sensible viewpoints.

As I believe the best advice is to lead by example here is mine: I am for the Health Care Law (aka OBAMACARE) because, aside from attempting to address the healthcare problem in our country in the first place, it is, after all I believe, a middle of the path measure, which can be improved upon to make it better and move the country forward. Just the fact that health insurance companies will no longer be able to discriminate against people, set lifetime limits, and unreasonably hike fees was enough to get my vote, regardless of the health insurance mandate. I am particularly thoughtful of the fact that, theoretically, if every individual is not poor, then everyone pays for their ride, an incentive for any conservative to end poverty. I understand the sense of "injustice" by taxing higher income individuals, but, in this, I am like the ancient Roman nobles who, when threatened by the Carthaginians, agreed to pay themselves for complete armies and navies given the dire situation their country was in.

But, what do you think??

Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,663 times
I'm against it for one, plain, simple reason:

Its going to cost me more money out of my pocket, paying for lazy, worthless people who won't get jobs, etc to pay for their own healthcare.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'm against it for one, plain, simple reason:

Its going to cost me more money out of my pocket, paying for lazy, worthless people who won't get jobs, etc to pay for their own healthcare.
No your wrong.....We are paying more money now for them by letting them get medical attention without insurance.

We are upping the ante on personal responsibility.....

Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
No your wrong.....We are paying more money now for them by letting them get medical attention without insurance.

We are upping the ante on personal responsibility.....
So, if they don't pay, because they 1) don't pay taxes or 2) do not pay the fine, and they get sick....go to the ER, who pays it?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,015,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickNicaG69 View Post
I realize this question might generate a plethora of answers which essentially contain a barrage of criticism arising from the passions of partisanship (or vice versa), but I am willing to undergo this risk in the hope of obtaining a few thoughtful responses that reflect patriotic, principled, and sensible viewpoints.

As I believe the best advice is to lead by example here is mine: I am for the Health Care Law (aka OBAMACARE) because, aside from attempting to address the healthcare problem in our country in the first place, it is, after all I believe, a middle of the path measure, which can be improved upon to make it better and move the country forward. Just the fact that health insurance companies will no longer be able to discriminate against people, set lifetime limits, and unreasonably hike fees was enough to get my vote, regardless of the health insurance mandate. I am particularly thoughtful of the fact that, theoretically, if every individual is not poor, then everyone pays for their ride, an incentive for any conservative to end poverty. I understand the sense of "injustice" by taxing higher income individuals, but, in this, I am like the ancient Roman nobles who, when threatened by the Carthaginians, agreed to pay themselves for complete armies and navies given the dire situation their country was in.

But, what do you think??
I don't like how it treats single taxpayers differently than people with kids. The government subsidy is MUCH higher for a taxpayer with kids as opposed to a single individual earning the same amount of income. I once accepted a job offer from a company that started off everyone in my job title with the same base salary, but paid the ENTIRE healthcare coverage premium for employee + dependents!!!! I viewed this as part of the compensation and knew that I would have to negotiate any comp differences BEFORE I started the job. Since the co-worker with spouse and depdts was getting much more compensation than me assuming same base salary, I negotiated $5,000/yr extra on my initial base salary to "even it out". This insurance scheme reminds me a lot of that. Please don't even get me started about non-working ppl and the illegals getting it all for free.
Another thing that I don't like about it is that it treats men and women THE SAME. We are not the same!!!!! Actuarily speaking, women incur more medical expenses than men. Not only do they get pregnant VOLUNTARILY which we are now forced to pay for, but they normally live a lot longer than men. If they cost more to cover and voluntarily use resources (getting pregnant), why are men forced to pay more for them?

Last edited by wehotex; 07-03-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM

45 posts, read 22,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, if they don't pay, because they 1) don't pay taxes or 2) do not pay the fine, and they get sick....go to the ER, who pays it?
This is an obvious dilemma, but I believe, and you may agree, that someone who is poor and requires medical help, should not be denied that medical help if it is serious and necessary. It a dogma that is supported by virtually all religions of the world and the most sensitive side of humanity. But, like I said, the clear solution to this dilemma is to cure poverty.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
from what I understand, those folks will be eligible for a medicare pool.

If they don;t pay the fine, but have a job and means to pay for insurance then they are just scumbags....

Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,196,748 times
The ER is going to be so much more crowded.. this is not a thought out plan. 30 million more insured with the passing of Obamacare...If more people are going to have insurance, more people going to see the doctor,waiting time longer, lines longer.. if an emergency come up and one calls the dr.. the dr will say , go to the emergency room because there will be too many patients that doctor has to see .. Government is cutting medicare by 500 billion just when the baby boomers get on medicare.. the government will pay less money to the drs to see medicare patients.. many drs will not see medicare or medicaid patients because of the low rate the government is going to pay.. there is going to be so many problems with Obamacare it isn't funny.. it will be an absolute mess. These who cannot find a doctor to take medicare or medicaid will go to the emergency room to get care.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
This is an obvious dilemma, but I believe, and you may agree, that someone who is poor and requires medical help, should not be denied that medical help if it is serious and necessary.
So, what happened 2 years ago?

Quote:
It a dogma that is supported by virtually all religions of the world and the most sensitive side of humanity. But, like I said, the clear solution to this dilemma is to cure poverty.
The dilemma is to get people off their asses.....really....because you feel you are above "that" job, does not mean you have to be lazy.....that means do the damn job, to support yourself.

Quote:
from what I understand, those folks will be eligible for a medicare pool.
And who pays that?

Quote:
If they don;t pay the fine, but have a job and means to pay for insurance then they are just scumbags....

Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The ER is going to be so much more crowded.. this is not a thought out plan. 30 million more insured with the passing of Obamacare...If more people are going to have insurance, more people going to see the doctor,waiting time longer, lines longer.. if an emergency come up and one calls the dr.. the dr will say , go to the emergency room because there will be too many patients that doctor has to see .. Government is cutting medicare by 500 billion just when the baby boomers get on medicare.. the government will pay less money to the drs to see medicare patients.. many drs will not see medicare or medicaid patients because of the low rate the government is going to pay.. there is going to be so many problems with Obamacare it isn't funny.. it will be an absolute mess. These who cannot find a doctor to take medicare or medicaid will go to the emergency room to get care.
So by your logic we are better off in this society with uninsured people so that the lines are not long at the hospital?

I work in healthcare and we on the front lines are happy about this. People who can pay mean more money coming into the hospital and this we can loosen the belt that has been tightened.

Also, even if Medicare paid its regular 45%-75% of the actual cost, that is still much better than zero.

Those of us that actually work in this field are happy about it. Partisian hacks can keep drinking their hatoraid....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies