Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,295,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Wrong. Its because NYC has more jobs that require higher skills and education and thus pay higher. Especially jobs related to the financial sector.

There are quite a few people making min wage in NYC.
Warren Buffet disagrees with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No necessarily. Wealthy people are responsible for real estate development, in NYC anyway. And they will build for demand. If there is a market for 300sft apts, they will build lots of them.
Building regulations dont allow them to build freely for demand, and pricing for property isnt based upon size, its psf. Its cheaper to build larger units psf which is why most areas like NY limit the size and numbers in a building. Things like elevator usage become factors. Otherwise you'd see huge 50 story towers with tens of thousands of 300 sf units in them, but you dont because the cant substain that much traffic and allow for room for elevator square footage, which cuts down on profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not too sure where you get that. Taxes in the "hood" are the same as anywhere else in the city. I assume you know NYC property taxes ridiculously low.
property taxes are cheaper there because the value is less.. You arent seriously arguing with me that Trump home has the same tax liability of a project property, are you?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,140,592 times
This first guy pays $800/month for a 78 square foot apartment.

Manhattan shoebox apartment: a 78-square-foot mini studio - YouTube

Simple life Manhattan: a 90-square-foot microstudio - YouTube

Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM

37,194 posts, read 42,391,335 times
I don't get the drama here. Studio apt, 300 sq ft, nothing new at all. The trick it outfitting them in a modern, convenient way that makes them comfortable. Most old studios are nothing more than a little space someone put a toilet in, or something that was carved out of something else. My daughter and her bf and a cat lived in a place around 450 sq ft....it had a seperate bedroom area thus the extra sq ft.

I'm not saying it's amazing or something I'd want to do long term but for city dwellers, some of whom also have out-city places, it's not bad.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,803,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Warren Buffet disagrees with you.

Building regulations dont allow them to build freely for demand, and pricing for property isnt based upon size, its psf. Its cheaper to build larger units psf which is why most areas like NY limit the size and numbers in a building. Things like elevator usage become factors. Otherwise you'd see huge 50 story towers with tens of thousands of 300 sf units in them, but you dont because the cant substain that much traffic and allow for room for elevator square footage, which cuts down on profit.
What? Square foot is size!

Pg, I like you and agree with you on almost everything, so I ask this with respect. Have you ever been to Manhattan? Most apartments are quite small. The reason most buildings are limited in size is generally for 2 reasons one is safety, if there is too great a density, emergency services become difficult to provide and community objection. When World Wide Plaza was built the community went nuts so they had to scale back the scope of the project.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This first guy pays $800/month for a 78 square foot apartment.
At the ppsf he pays, that would equate to $720,000 yearly rental income on my 6,000 sf home..

Where do I sign up to find fools like that.. haha

Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,803,032 times
Quote:
property taxes are cheaper there because the value is less.. You arent seriously arguing with me that Trump home has the same tax liability of a project property, are you?
I am arguing that property taxes are so insignificant in NYC that they are not even on the radar.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
What? Square foot is size!

Pg, I like you and agree with you on almost everything, so I ask this with respect. Have you ever been to Manhattan? Most apartments are quite small. The reason most buildings are limited in size is generally for 2 reasons one is safety, if there is too great a density, emergency services become difficult to provide and community objection. When World Wide Plaza was built the community went nuts so they had to scale back the scope of the project.
Been to Manhatten numerous times, but pricing for properties are based upon a price per square footage. And the reason most buildings are limited in size is because in NY, is because there isnt enough air rights to build higher. Most property owners have sold their air rights to other developers to add onto different attached properties.

Above and Below: Air for Sale

Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,719,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Wrong. Its because NYC has more jobs that require higher skills and education and thus pay higher.
That could be the funniest post I've read all day.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,140,592 times
Quote:
At the ppsf he pays, that would equate to $720,000 yearly rental income on my 6,000 sf home..

Where do I sign up to find fools like that.. haha
That's midtown prices.

Here's a 4,000 square foot Manhattan apartment that rents for $60,000 per month:

The Most Spectacular Penthouse in Manhattan - True Trophy Property -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies